23andMe New regions at 23andme?

Salento you have only 1 dot for italian. How many match have you in 23andme ?

I have far Slavs and Spanish ancestors but I have no dots for Spain and Balkan.

If people receive zero dots for a region then the percentage should be assigned to a “broadly” category. It makes them look contradictory to give me 23% British Isles but zero dots. This is similar to my mom receiving the genetic community of French Canadian on Ancestry but receiving less than 1% Europe West. These companies are getting more accurate with their sub regions but also need to adjust their algorithms to get rid of these obvious contradictions.

I’m half French Canadian and half Wallonia Belgian. I received two dots for Belgium and that’s it. Must be a Flemish reference sample.

Salento you have only 1 dot for italian. How many match have you in 23andme ?

I have far Slavs and Spanish ancestors but I have no dots for Spain and Balkan.

All my 513 DNA Relatives are in the USA 345, Canada 10, and UK 5. (Only 360).
“No Close Family
17 Third to Fourth Cousins
496 Fifth to Distant Cousins”
My results says that I’m more than half Italian, so they know that.
It’s obvious that the 23andme Database doesn’t have many Native European or Italian customers in General.
I’m from Italy/S.Puglia, I’m not aware of any of my relatives in Italy that emigrated to the US.
Majority of “Ancestry of Your DNA Relatives” is French and Germans, British and Irish, Italians, Balkans, Eastern Europeans, Scandinavians, Iberians, in that Order.
It’s almost a Paradox.

new regions added
my son
European 99.5%
Italian 27.7%
French & German 15.7%
Iberian 5.9%
father
European 99.6%
Italian 21.9%
Balkan 6.3%
French & German 5.5%
Iberian 4.4%
British & Irish 3.2%
Eastern European 0.6%
myself
European 99.2%
Italian 30.8%
French & German 18.4%
Balkan 3.4%
Iberian 2.4%
British & Irish 2.2%

we all have and only have for each of us 5 dots for Italian and zero anywhere else

we all have and only have for each of us 5 dots for Italian and zero anywhere else

If you get 30.8 Italian and I get 58.6, than the “dots” results are completely “Out of Whack” lol :)

If you get 30.8 Italian and I get 58.6, than the “dots” Results are out of whack. lol :)
I concur! There is no correlation between percentages and dots.

We haven't seen Sile's screenshot with five dots for Italian.

If he does have them, it's because he got a lot of his relatives tested at 23andme.

There is more diversity between any two Italians than between whole regions in Europe.

Read Ralph and Coop.

Albanian dots for Salento are ancient illyrian o recent Albanian?

Albanian dots for Salento are ancient illyrian o recent Albanian?
Ancient Illyrians I assume, or maybe a combination of both (Because of The Macedonia dot). Most Pugliesi supposedly are Partially Illyrians, so are the Albanians with their neighbors to the north, and groups of Italians of the Northeast.
aaeaaqaaaaaaaaecaaaajde1ogrjodcxltljy2ytndmxni04njq1lwnhoti5mzqwmgyxnq_orig.jpg

“.... The origin of the Albanians has long been a matter of dispute among historians. Little is known about the ancient Balkan people, and they blended into one another in Thraco-Illyrian and Daco-Thracian contact zones even in antiquity. ...”
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_the_Albanians

Here are all my dots. Got lots of em.
oppcus.png

Here are all my dots. Got lots of em.
oppcus.png

Balkanite, if I may ask, from where do you get your ancestry, what country in the Balkans? If it were just Albania and you were Albanian it would make sense as the data we have so far indicates a small ancestral group which expanded relatively recently.

The fact it is all those countries just shows the similarity of the people of the Balkans.

Also, do you have a lot of second and third degree cousins on dna relatives?

I ask because I have geneaological trees going back to the 1550s for almost all of my lines, far longer than 200 years, and all of them are from northern Italy, most from an area some have labeled Lunezia.

http://www.theflorentine.net/news/2010/06/what-is-lunezia/

Lunezia.jpg

However, on 23andme I have very few "relatives" and all of them are third cousins or more. I also haven't been able to get any of my relatives to test.

This is my result:

WbB4eZ9.png
[/IMG]

The .1% is East Asian, and it shows up in every calculator. On Kurd's analysis I get a lot of Scythian so maybe it's a relict of that. The rest is Northwest European of various kinds, no matches at all

Balkanite, if I may ask, from where do you get your ancestry, what country in the Balkans? If it were just Albania and you were Albanian it would make sense as the data we have so far indicates a small ancestral group which expanded relatively recently.

The fact it is all those countries just shows the similarity of the people of the Balkans.

Also, do you have a lot of second and third degree cousins on dna relatives?

I ask because I have geneaological trees going back to the 1550s for almost all of my lines, far longer than 200 years, and all of them are from northern Italy, most from an area some have labeled Lunezia.

http://www.theflorentine.net/news/2010/06/what-is-lunezia/

Lunezia.jpg

However, on 23andme I have very few "relatives" and all of them are third cousins or more. I also haven't been able to get any of my relatives to test.

This is my result:

WbB4eZ9.png
[/IMG]

The .1% is East Asian, and it shows up in every calculator. On Kurd's analysis I get a lot of Scythian so maybe it's a relict of that. The rest is Northwest European of various kinds, no matches at all

Weird how you only get 1 dot when you got such a high % of Italian. Then it must really have something to do with the number of DNA relatives.

Im albanian from the northerly parts. Im a bit confused by Montenegro being higher on the list than Albania. But maybe it has something to do with how many dna relative Montenegrins have done tests vs how many Albanians. I don't know.

I think i have around 1300-1400 DNA relatives, but only a couple of 2nd-3rd cousins.
A lot of albanians, and also some arvanites and some montenegrins with slavicized albanian names(arnautovic etc.). But also some with regular greek and montenegrin names. And wierdly also a lot of british and german americans.

Weird how you only get 1 dot when you got such a high % of Italian. Then it must really have something to do with the number of DNA relatives.

Im albanian from the northerly parts. Im a bit confused by Montenegro being higher on the list than Albania. But maybe it has something to do with how many dna relative Montenegrins have done tests vs how many Albanians. I don't know.

I think i have around 1300-1400 DNA relatives, but only a couple of 2nd-3rd cousins.
A lot of albanians, and also some arvanites and some montenegrins with slavicized albanian names(arnautovic etc.). But also some with regular greek and montenegrin names. And wierdly also a lot of british and german americans.

I only have about 600, and my closest is a group of matches who are supposedly 4th cousins. Some of them, weirdly, are Danish and some are "colonial" Americans, primarily British descent. The Italian ones all come from my area,but not related genealogically. I don't have any matches from south of Rome, and a huge majority of the samples at 23andme are from Southern Italy/Sicily. We're just very heterogeneous.

They need to update there website and data based on the infomation within there database since the "dots" are not fully accurate as a IT guy I bet there database is a bit unorganised or maybe they don't understand SQL. When my test pops up i will show mine here (since they updated it I should get high Iberian admixture but with some italo-celt possbily)

AdeoF, it seems that the query prioritize DNA Matches, and not Ancestry %.

Last edited:
They need to update there website and data based on the infomation within there database since the "dots" are not fully accurate as a IT guy I bet there database is a bit unorganised or maybe they don't understand SQL. When my test pops up i will show mine here (since they updated it I should get high Iberian admixture but with some italo-celt possbily)

Up vote from me bc u said a developers developers developers developers developers term!

SELECT *
FROM members
WHERE knows_SQL
ORDER BY awesomeness DESC

Anyway i personally think it's likely that these issues have less to do with the database design than the code itself (bad databases allow for things like anomalies with writing, deletion etc). I would expect all the mathy algorithmically stuff to be written in something like python, and that code should handle anything that wouldn't look right to the user.

Oh man it's 1:06 Eastern already? Gotta nap

Me too only a black dot in my main italian component PSX_20180405_081015.jpg

Inviato dal mio SM-J730F utilizzando Tapatalk

We haven't seen Sile's screenshot with five dots for Italian.
If he does have them, it's because he got a lot of his relatives tested at 23andme.
There is more diversity between any two Italians than between whole regions in Europe.
Read Ralph and Coop.

italian matches of note
Zanatta - 0.37% from Ponzano Veneto -treviso province
Folger - 0.28% from Musano - treviso province
Miotto - 0.27% from falze - treviso province
Bison - 0.24% from trentino province
Negrin - 0.23% from spresiano - treviso province
Martin - 0.22% from Loria - treviso province
Del Ben - 0.21% from liedolo - treviso province
Biasion - 0.21%
Pellizzer - 0.28%
Sibillin - 0.27% from Asolo - treviso province
Hintz - 0.22% from Piobino Dese - Padau province ...married a relative from Morgano Veneto circa 1900
Bet - 0.27% from Trentino Province
Toigo - 0.26 % from Fanzaso - trentino province
Pivetta - 0.21 % from one` - treviso province
Bolzan - 0.20% from fonte Alto - treviso province ...married into my maternal line circa 1780
and many more

red surnames are relatives via registry records

This thread has been viewed 94796 times.

Back