23andMe New regions at 23andme?

Here's the response:

0Cq1Ix3.png

At this point I don’t really care to keep checking everyday. Maybe I’ll check again in a month from now lol.

At this point I don’t really care to keep checking everyday. Maybe I’ll check again in a month from now lol.

If it's only going back 200 years, to the early 19th century, it should say I'm 100% Italian. It's going back 9 generations, to your great-great-great-great-great-great grandparents. I didn't know them or have a tree to confirm (though I'd like to make one soon), but my grand parents knew their grand parents; and they were Italian. I knew my great-grandmother too.

If it's only going back 200 years, to the early 19th century, it should say I'm 100% Italian. It's going back 9 generations, to your great-great-great-great-great-great grandparents. I didn't know them or have a tree to confirm (though I'd like to make one soon), but my grand parents knew their grand parents; and they were Italian. I knew my great-grandmother too.

I'm Apulian, I have dots only on Italy. It's correct since I have only italians ancestors in the last 200 years.

My results:

• [h=5]European[/h][h=5]98.8%[/h]

• [h=5]Italian[/h][h=5]57.3%[/h]

[h=6]Italy[/h]
    We predict you had ancestors that lived in Italy within the last 200 years.

• [h=5]Balkan[/h][h=5]30.5%[/h]

• [h=5]Ashkenazi Jewish[/h][h=5]0.3%[/h]

• [h=5]Broadly Southern European[/h][h=5]10.2%[/h]

• [h=5]Broadly European[/h][h=5]0.5%[/h]

• [h=5]Western Asian & North African[/h][h=5]1.0%[/h]

• [h=5]Western Asian[/h][h=5]0.7%[/h]

• [h=5]Broadly Western Asian & North African[/h][h=5]0.4%[/h]

• [h=5]Unassigned[/h][h=5]0.2%[/h]

I'm Apulian, I have dots only on Italy. It's correct since I have only italians ancestors in the last 200 years.

If your Ancestors are all Pugliesi it would be also interesting if you post the results of the Italian dots.

I have only 4 dots on Italy. Nothing for other ethnicities.
In last 200 years my ancestors are all central Apulia (Bari province) and someone of Basilicata.Far ancestors from others Nations.

Thank you Christa :)
(New members must write a few posts before are allowed to link pictures. rules .... )

Also, a refinement of the Ancestry timeline. Before the update, 23andme predicted I had an E. European ancestor - now, despite my EE % remaining the same (at 0.7%), they basically did better maths and realised that (and I've done the maths) as this 0.7% was on my X DNA (looks about 25% of it), the very very earliest I could have had an E. European ancestor (at least from the ancestry composition from 23andme) is 8 generations.EDIT: Actually, I've just realised that 23andme is without a doubt wrong about that Eastern Euro admix. full stop. I'll attach an imgur link below, but basically, from my understanding of X DNA inheritance, the earliest I could have had a fully Eastern European ancestor is 3 generations ago (absolutely impossible given my genealogy and admix.), and the latest is 5 generations ago (extremely unlikely given my admix. - though genealogy there was lost with the Holocaust). Fyi, my admix. aside from my X chromosome is basically fully Ashkenazi.And no, I'm not saying I have no Eastern European ancestors - just not those who are outside of the Ashkenazi reference population used by 23andme, or at least not any that can possibly show up to an appreciable resolution.

I suppose this is a great example of why not to take genetic testing as gospel.

Oh and as further evidence, on the V4 chip, my Eastern Euro admix. completely disappears above 60% certainty.
uZDVyL3.jpg

Im waiting for mine, since it says it's going back 500 years it should say over 75% for Spanish for me

Actually, no mistake here, on the assumption that this is a single-ancestor convert scenario (the most likely). I am absolutely not getting into scenarios with two EE ancestors, as that becomes far too complicated and I'd have to build a mathematical model for N ancestors to smoothen out the process. But I think it's much more likely to be a single-ancestor convert scenario if anything.My point still stands.

I have British Isles percentage in the 20% range on 23andMe so I expect to get some dots in that category. I have zero British Isles ancestry in the last 200 years on paper though.

i have 27% italian starting at 1870
father has 32% starting at 1870
gfather has 21% starting at 1810
new regions added
my son
European 99.5%
Italian 27.7%
French & German 15.7%
Iberian 5.9%
father
European 99.6%
Italian 21.9%
Balkan 6.3%
French & German 5.5%
Iberian 4.4%
British & Irish 3.2%
Eastern European 0.6%

myself

European 99.2%
Italian 30.8%
French & German 18.4%
Balkan 3.4%
Iberian 2.4%
British & Irish 2.2%

To view the dots click on:
“See all tested populations”
No % changes. They only added this:
y1fTpdy_d.jpg

IMG_6618.JPG

Explain how it works! What two dots in Albania mean?
Match Strength

“Match Strength for each region is determined by how much of your DNA you share with people from that region, adjusting for the number of people that we compared you with.”
I guess is some kind of Genetic Communities without a specific location, plus a ratio of Level of Confidence.
The problem with this imho is that 23andme customers are overwhelmingly Americans, so I’m not that sure of the Accuracy of the Results.
IMG_6595.jpg

Match Strength

“Match Strength for each region is determined by how much of your DNA you share with people from that region, adjusting for the number of people that we compared you with.”
I guess is some kind of Genetic Communities without a specific location, plus a ratio of Level of Confidence.
The problem with this imho is that 23andme customers are overwhelmingly Americans, so I’m not that sure of the Accuracy of the Results.
IMG_6595.jpg
Thank you!

It looks like some kind of IBD analysis comparing you to other people in that group. They don't have very many Italian samples from Puglia, I'm sure, compared to what they have from Britain or Ireland, so it's not going to prove much "match strength". Have they published any sort of paper on this new feature?

It looks like some kind of IBD analysis comparing you to other people in that group. They don't have very many Italian samples from Puglia, I'm sure, compared to what they have from Britain or Ireland, so it's not going to prove much "match strength". Have they published any sort of paper on this new feature?

I looked around the 23 website earlier, I only saw the usual stuff, and the new match strength explanation. Unless I missed it . A relative of mine said that 5 segment of a population are needed to fill 1 Dot, but I don’t know where that info come from, or if it is true.

This thread has been viewed 94889 times.

Back