23andMe New regions at 23andme?

does this work
select confidence level
it is set at 50% and nothing happens when one changes it
My dots don’t change after I change the confidence level.

I have 4 Dots for Italy (36.4%), and zero for everything else.

I received an email saying that my updated report was ready (for me and my relatives). However nothing changed in the Ancestry Composition! The only thing that changed is that there are now dots with countries, but even there I or my relative get one single dot for Belgium (and one person also for 1 dot the Netherlands). One dot! Talk about a confidence interval! All my ancestors in the last 7 generations (at least, but more likely dozens) are from Belgium. If that test was any good it would show 4 or 5 dots for Belgium.

What happened is that 23andMe followed in AncestryDNA's footsteps by misleading customers into believing that they are testing more regions than they really are. Last year AncestryDNA announced that they were going to test 150 regions (instead of 25), but nothing changed in the admixture percentages either. They also simply added a list of countries with dots. That's just a dirty marketing trick to lure in unsuspecting customers. I can't believe that 23andMe would fall to that level too.

I received an email saying that my updated report was ready (for me and my relatives). However nothing changed in the Ancestry Composition! The only thing that changed is that there are now dots with countries, but even there I or my relative get one single dot for Belgium (and one person also for 1 dot the Netherlands). One dot! Talk about a confidence interval! All my ancestors in the last 7 generations (at least, but more likely dozens) are from Belgium. If that test was any good it would show 4 or 5 dots for Belgium.

What happened is that 23andMe followed in AncestryDNA's footsteps by misleading customers into believing that they are testing more regions than they really are. Last year AncestryDNA announced that they were going to test 150 regions (instead of 25), but nothing changed in the admixture percentages either. They also simply added a list of countries with dots. That's just a dirty marketing trick to lure in unsuspecting customers. I can't believe that 23andMe would fall to that level too.
The connections to regions got more precise. Now instead of saying 4% Balkans, it says 4% of Croatia for me.

The connections to regions got more precise. Now instead of saying 4% Balkans, it says 4% of Croatia for me.

Really? All I see is percentages for French & German, Britain & Ireland, Scandinavia, Iberia, Italy, Balkans, etc. just like before. The new countries don't have percentages, just dots.

Really? All I see is percentages for French & German, Britain & Ireland, Scandinavia, Iberia, Italy, Balkans, etc. just like before. The new countries don't have percentages, just dots.

I agree! The amount of dots that people receive is pretty meaningless in terms of what percentage of their dna might be from a specific country. My wife is 50% Italian and she received 4 dots for Italy. Angela is 100% Italian and you are 100% Belgian yet you each received only 1 dot. If someone were adopted the dots would only signify some ancestry in that country. The amount of ancestry would be meaningless.

I’m pretty sure Angela and her ancestors were in Italy for 200 years. I’ll give these “dots” some credit. I haven’t seen anyone get tons of dots for phantom admixture percentages.
my paternal line have been in italy ( veneto and trentino ) since 1425 from registry and church records I have compiled................so whats your point?........they just use 200 years for some unknown reason ................its like there bar chart it states for me ..italian only from 1870 and before this french, earlier is british, scandinavian etc.
I believe some regions in italy are excluded from italian like trentino and friuli which is why my % for italian is low and my 5 dots is high ( because the 5 dots represent only veneto for me )

^^Your dots represent the fact that for whatever reason you have reasonably close relatives in the database, and so there are matches for longer tracts of your dna. They explain it. There's no mystery.

The problem is that most consumers won't understand it. You've just proved that.

agree .....most do not understand data which makes no sense
it like some people will defend ( at all costs ) the rubbish that 23andme and ancestry produce as fact and these people cannot be convinced otherwise.
clearly we see 23andme has gone backwards since their version 3 ................they are basically slightly better than ancestry and I foresee in the future their goal in % will only be for north american samples only

They are rolling out the results slowly for everyone who has taken their reports. Some have it, a vast majority is still waiting to get theirs.

This thread has been viewed 94807 times.

Back