This was on their blog:

CMtlmMe.png

RKg05hM.png

e0oL7OD.png

IGIYZTc.png

a3dHUuy.png

cm3jTtM.png

https://blog.23andme.com/ancestry/23andme-updates-ancestry-composition/

It looks like they've added a lot of African regions, which is good news, particularly for their American customer base.

Also, looks like refined IBD analysis of some sort. We'll see how good it is. Some of us actually know who our ancestors were for the last 500 years.

If they're going to change the labels I hope they fix up the labeling in the Near East. There are still, believe it or not, people out there who don't get that "North Africa" in their scheme includes Palestinians, Jordanians, Saudis.

I also hope they take another look at how to divide up the countries between North Africa and the "Middle East". Since the publication of the paper on the ancient Egyptians, I do get how Egypt and Palestinians, Jordanians, and Saudis could group together, but the latter Levantine populations don't really cluster with Tunisia for example. Too much time and drift has passed since their common ancient ancestors. Maybe they need three groupings, although I know how tricky it would be as to dividing up the Levant populations.

Looks like this is 23andMe’s marketing response to Ancestry’s Genetic Communities. Competition between these companies is good for the consumer. However, I believe the future lies in what Living DNA is doing which is regional breakdowns within nationalistic borders.

If I had my own company I would try to differentiate myself from my competitors by testing even more snps not less. This is what confounds me about all these companies adopting imputation. The future of the industry lies in more accuracy which I believe lies in more regions and more snps.

I checked again, and they updated the blog. Here's a list of new regional ancestries they're going to include. However, it doesn't look like all of them, I believe:

List of Regions and Countries Included in this Ancestry Composition Update

Afghanistan

Albania

Egypt

American Samoa

Argentina

Armenia

Aruba

Austria

Azerbaijan

Morocco

Bangladesh

Belarus

Belgium

Belize

Bolivia

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Brazil

Bulgaria

Cabo Verde

Cambodia

Cameroon

Chile

China

Colombia

Costa Rica

Croatia

Cuba

Cyprus

Czechia

Denmark

Dominican Republic

Ecuador

Algeria

El Salvador

Eritrea

Estonia

Ethiopia

Fiji

France

Georgia

Germany

Ghana

Greece

Guam

Guatemala

Honduras

Hong Kong

Hungary

Iceland

India

Indonesia

Iran, Islamic Republic of

Iraq

Ireland

Italy

Saudi Arabia

Kazakhstan

Kenya

Korea, Democratic People’s Republic of

Korea, Republic of

Tunisia

Kyrgyzstan

Lao People’s Democratic Republic

Latvia

Lebanon

Liberia

Yemen

Lithuania

Luxembourg

Macedonia, Republic of

Malaysia

Malta

Mauritius

Mexico

Moldova, Republic of

Mongolia

Montenegro

Jordan

Myanmar

Nepal

Netherlands

Nicaragua

Nigeria

Norway

Pakistan

Panama

Paraguay

Peru

Philippines

Poland

Portugal

Puerto Rico

Romania

Russian Federation

Samoa

Kuwait

Serbia

Singapore

Slovakia

Slovenia

Somalia

Spain

Sri Lanka

Sudan

Sweden

Switzerland

Syrian Arab Republic

Taiwan, Province of China

Thailand

Tonga

Libya

Turkey

Ukraine

United Arab Emirates

United Kingdom

Uruguay

Uzbekistan

Venezuela

Viet Nam

Bahrain

https://blog.23andme.com/ancestry/23andme-updates-ancestry-composition/

Looks like this is 23andMe’s marketing response to Ancestry’s Genetic Communities. Competition between these companies is good for the consumer. However, I believe the future lies in what Living DNA is doing which is regional breakdowns within nationalistic borders.

If I had my own company I would try to differentiate myself from my competitors by testing even more snps not less. This is what confounds me about all these companies adopting imputation. The future of the industry lies in more accuracy which I believe lies in more regions and more snps.

I don't even know if I should even spend money on these things if they're expected to produce different results each time, like say you're 1/2 English 1/2 French and after the first time you take a 23 and me test you get exactly that, then the next version of 23 and me rolls around and says 25 percent English, 12.5 percent Russian and 62.5 percent French. Then again I'm not sure if getting results that are that different is even possible.

I can see how people who were adopted would find these things useful.

I don't even know if I should even spend money on these things if they're expected to produce different results each time, like say you're 1/2 English 1/2 French and after the first time you take a 23 and me test you get exactly that, then the next version of 23 and me rolls around and says 25 percent English, 12.5 percent Russian and 62.5 percent French. Then again I'm not sure if getting results that are that different is even possible.

I can see how people who were adopted would find these things useful.

One positive thing that came out of all these conflicting ethnicity estimates is that they pushed me to put the work into digging deeper into my family tree. On my mom’s French Canadian side I am researching the particular location in France where each of her 400 or so ancestors came from in the 17th century. It is tedious but also very informative.

An ethnicity report is no substitute for a well researched family tree. All ethnicity reports do is show how neighboring regions share similarities. I suppose looking at a map though could accomplish the same objective.

I checked again, and they updated the blog. Here's a list of new regional ancestries they're going to include. However, it doesn't look like all of them, I believe:

Well, they're getting pretty darn specific! Aruba? They must have really increased their sample base. Let's see if it's accurate. Now I'm interested to see what will change. Can I get more Italian? I'm at 72.5% currently. However, if it's supposed to be the last 500 years it should be 100%.

Wow, does Italian still mean southern Italian? If not, then 23 and me would be even worse for me.

mwauthy, thanks. I'll add that my only motivation to do these is to find out my ancient percentages (farmer, steppe, hunter gatherer).

I guess you've forgotten. We've discussed this a lot here: the centrum now seems to be around Toscana/Lazio. In my case, the remainder is single digit Iberian and the rest is northwest European.

Thanks, yes i did forget. I apologize

Everybody forgets some things. Otherwise we'd be computers.

Hmm maybe I should get a 23 and me out soon. I can see how much Spanish I got!! (And also how much italian or english)

i have 27% italian starting at 1870
father has 32% starting at 1870
gfather has 21% starting at 1810

Have you updated from the old versions? In other words, which "V" is it?

On the prior version I was only 50% Italian, and that's at the most speculative setting. On the V5 72% Italian. I think the old ones are really out of date.

You do realize, also, that this is because they have no academic and achingly few client samples from the Veneto, yes?

What it's actually telling you if it's the old version is that your father is about 32% Lazio to Sicily.

I would ignore the dates: they're meaningless.

Last edited:

v4

European 99.5%
Southern European 51.3%
Italian 27.7%
Iberian 5.9%
Broadly Southern European 17.8%
Northwestern European 39.1%
French & German 20.7%
Broadly Northwestern European 18.4%
Ashkenazi Jewish 0.1%
Broadly European 8.9%

i just ordered mine, i hope it uses the V5 chip (it was on offer so why not)

This thread has been viewed 94285 times.

Back