New regions at 23andme?

Do you have Albania and Macedonia In the section "Ancestors birthplaces" ?[h=5][/h]
Not specifically by name, just Balkan on a more distant generations.
What about you, do you get Balkans?
I ask bc your Balkans % is Higher than mine.
Also other Pugliesi score around 25-35% with the 23andme V5.
Trust me on that.
“Parli Italiano?”

Not specifically by name, just Balkan on a more distance generation.
What about you, do you get Balkans?
I ask bc your Balkans % is Higher than mine.
Also other Pugliesi score around 25-35% with the 23andme V5.
Trust me on that.
“Parli Italiano?”

Si lo parlo:)
I have 1062 relatives on 23andme. I have relatives from Balkans and all Europe.
I have far ancestors from Dalmatia (about 500 years ago).But i Think this Balkan for all Apulians is more Illyrian.

Si lo parlo:)
I have 1062 relatives on 23andme. I have relatives from Balkans and all Europe.
I have far ancestors from Dalmatia (about 500 years ago).But i Think this Balkan for all Apulians is more Illyrian.
You double my relatives.
Di Sicuro, almeno una parte della percentuale Balcanica nei Pugliesi proviene dall’Antica Illiria.
(Surely, at least part of the Balkan % in Apulians is of Ancient Illyrian Origins.)

That two hundred year period is nonsense. I know my ancestors for the last two hundred years and there weren't any French, German, or British people among them.

They also made a mess by combining IBD (geneaology) and ancestry (admixture). I don't have close IBD matches in the system, so the "matches" are not going to be accurate. This will never work for Italians, at least. Period.

That two hundred year period is nonsense. I know my ancestors for the last two hundred years and there weren't any French, German, or British people among them.

They also made a mess by combining IBD (geneaology) and ancestry (admixture). I don't have close IBD matches in the system, so the "matches" are not going to be accurate. This will never work for Italians, at least. Period.

I absolutely agree.

Mine just says Albania under Balkan. Also, theres nothing listed as "closest" for the other ancestries. So I would assume they are older admixtures and or insufficient data to make determination?

Mine just says Albania under Balkan. Also, theres nothing listed as "closest" for the other ancestries. So I would assume they are older admixtures and or insufficient data to make determination?

You have to press the "scienftific details" tab when in the ancestry page on 23andme. There you will find a list with dots and stuff.

But if your main page is saying albania, that means albania is highest on you dot list.
My front page says montenegro.

When you are getting 1 dot with 77% Italian and another person is getting 1 dot with 4% British Isles and another person is getting 3 dots with 7% French and German and another person is getting 5 dots with 28% Italian the dots lose all meaning in my eyes. I understand the dots are irrespective of the admixture percentage but the way it’s graphically presented purports some type of correlation.

If I have 5 cousins take a test in Belgium will I now be bumped up from 2 to 5 dots? What does that even mean and what is the point? I think Ancestry was on to something with their Genetic Communities originally. Showing how people within a database might all belong to a sub region of a country. Trying to associate these database connections with entire nationalistic borders doesn’t make much sense to me and the contradictions are already apparent.

When you are getting 1 dot with 77% Italian and another person is getting 1 dot with 4% British Isles and another person is getting 3 dots with 7% French and German and another person is getting 5 dots with 28% Italian the dots lose all meaning in my eyes. I understand the dots are irrespective of the admixture percentage but the way it’s graphically presented purports some type of correlation.

If I have 5 cousins take a test in Belgium will I now be bumped up from 2 to 5 dots? What does that even mean and what is the point? I think Ancestry was on to something with their Genetic Communities originally. Showing how people within a database might all belong to a sub region of a country. Trying to associate these database connections with entire nationalistic borders doesn’t make much sense to me and the contradictions are already apparent.

the 5 dots for italian for 28% only say " all italian for only last 200 years" or words to that effect .............so to me it means the dots reflect only 200 years

the 5 dots for italian for 28% only say " all italian for only last 200 years" or words to that effect .............so to me it means the dots reflect only 200 years

I’m pretty sure Angela and her ancestors were in Italy for 200 years. I’ll give these “dots” some credit. I haven’t seen anyone get tons of dots for phantom admixture percentages.

DNA Phasing + Multiple close Relatives.
That should explains some of the Discrepancies between % and dots. I think. [emoji848]

map1.jpg

I just received the update and nothing changed, at all. All the new regions reported 0%, and this is what I ended up with.

Attachments

• map1.jpg
    map1.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 74
View attachment 9985

I just received the update and nothing changed, at all. All the new regions reported 0%, and this is what I ended up with.

Admixture percentages did not change for anyone I believe. You did receive “dots” for Italy. Click on see all regions to see how many you received for Italy.

DNA Phasing + Multiple close Relatives.
That should explains some of the Discrepancies between % and dots. I think. [emoji848]

does this work
select confidence level
it is set at 50% and nothing happens when one changes it

Both my brother and I got only two dots for Italy and nothing else. Very few customers from Lazio in their database?

Both my brother and I got only two dots for Italy and nothing else. Very few customers from Lazio in their database?

Unfortunately there are no academic samples from Lazio, which is also a transitional region given that in Lazio central Italian dialects and southern Italian dialects are spoken.

About 25-27% "Northern" European seems to be consistent for samples at approximately our latitude, but to the east there's Balkan, and to the west little or none, its place being taken by Iberian.

Adding in that broadly "Southern European" brings you to about 70%, which is close to my 72%.

As I said, not many people from the Romagna in the data base, whereas there is the large Tuscan contingent from around Firenze, some of whose IBS alleles I undoubtedly share, so they can label them.

The problem with all this is that while we understand it, most people buying the analysis don't.

The Italian user (of whom I have seen the results) who has the highest percentage of Italian on the new 23andMe is a guy from Cesena, Romagna, with all the relatives from Cesena and neighboring villages for many generations. He scores 87% Italian.

While the only Florentine I've seen so far he scores much less, around 65%. He is completely Tuscan but I do not know if he is 100% from Florence.

I ask because I have geneaological trees going back to the 1550s for almost all of my lines, far longer than 200 years, and all of them are from northern Italy, most from an area some have labeled Lune.

http://www.theflorentine.net/news/2010/06/what-is-lunezia/

Lunezia.jpg

Non per rompere le scatole, but Lunezia's historical basis are questionable, it's a name invented in 1989 by a Judge and Lunezia as word came into use in the late 90s of the 21st century. Very hardly people from Piacenza and other provinces there included feel all themselves part of Lunezia and, above all, nostalgic subjects of the Duchy of Parma. :)

In Italy there are independence movements for everybody's taste.

The Italian user (of whom I have seen the results) who has the highest percentage of Italian on the new 23andMe is a guy from Cesena, Romagna, with all the relatives from Cesena and neighboring villages for many generations. He scores 87% Italian.

While the only Florentine I've seen so far he scores much less, around 65%. He is completely Tuscan but I do not know if he is 100% from Florence.

Non per rompere le scatole, but Lunezia's historical basis are questionable, it's a name invented in 1989 by a Judge and Lunezia as word came into use in the late 90s of the 21st century. Very hardly people from Piacenza and other provinces there included feel all themselves part of Lunezia and, above all, nostalgic subjects of the Duchy of Parma. :)

In Italy there are independence movements for everybody's taste.

Did I ever say or imply that I was in favor of it or that it was remotely feasible? It just happens to include every single one of my ancestors for the last 500 years.

This thread has been viewed 94288 times.

Back