How do dogs recognize human faces?

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Part of the answer is that we bred them to do it.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/canine-corner/201802/how-do-dogs-recognize-human-faces

"Two separate lines of early research showed that face recognition is special. The first one looked at human beings and found that there is a region of the human brain which seems to be specifically designed to recognize human faces. That region is located in the temporal lobe of the brain which is an area located on the side of the brain at the bottom middle part of the cortex which would be behind, and slightly above your ears. The first evidence of the importance of this region came from patients who suffered damage to this part of the brain and developed prosopagnosia, which is a form of "face blindness". People with this problem have difficulty recognizing familiar faces and even their own face in a mirror, while other aspects of their mental functioning, such as the ability to recognize objects, is not affected."

"
The second line of research involved measuring the activity of single neural cells in the temporal regions of the brain. In monkeys, it was found that there were some cells which were specifically tuned to respond when the animal was viewing a monkey face. When the research was extended to look at the same area in the brains of sheep, they found cells which responded specifically to typical sheep-shaped faces. There is even some research which shows that similar cells can be found in the corresponding region of the brain of crows, and these are tuned to respond when the crow looks at bird shaped faces."

"
Scientists began to ask themselves "If behavioral tests show that dogs are so good at recognizing human faces and expressions is it possible that they might have additional face-tuned cells in their brains—not just cells tuned to dog faces but cells tuned to respond to human faces as well?""

"
Actually getting dogs to participate in a fMRI based study is not easy. To be tested the dog is required to remain motionless in a confined space in the MRI device for a period of time. The dog must also ignore the many loud sounds made by the MRI's operation which includes the sounds of spinning gears, loud clanks, bangs and so forth, any of which might be expected to startle a dog and cause him to move. So a period of intensive training (which might involve months of working with the dogs) is required before you can actually collect data from them. In this case, seven dogs were trained to endure the fMRI measurements required by the study."

"
When presented with human faces the area of the brain which responded most vigorously in the dogs was the ventral temporal cortex (the front part of the temporal cortex), and this area was relatively unresponsive to images of objects which were not faces. This roughly corresponds to the same region of the brain that is involved in the recognition of same species faces in the other animals that have been tested using single cell measures. So dogs are responding to human faces in the same region of the brain where they respond to dog faces.

Why should this be happening? One possibility is a process called co-evolution, which is where the evolution of one species affects the historical evolutionary changes of another. Since dogs have been evolving into a species which shares the human environment, becoming more efficient at responding to the people in that environment would be an adaptive advantage and recognizing faces would be one aspect of this.

Another possibility is that during the process of domestication of dogs which spanned some thousands of years, humans might have systematically selected and nurtured dogs which responded accurately to human faces and emotional expressions. This certainly would make communication between people and their dogs easier. The dogs which had this ability would be preferred, cared for and nurtured. While all of that selective breeding based on the dogs' behavior was going on it might well be the case that at the neurological level humans were unknowingly selecting dogs with brains that had specific mechanisms with the ability to recognize human faces in the same way that they might recognize the faces of animals of their own species. If so this would be an innate ability which does not require education or experience to show itself."

"So perhaps telling a novice dog trainer to keep smiling and avoid angry emotional expressions might be a reasonable bit of advice since it is likely that the dog is processing and interpreting their face. His brain certainly seems to have the apparatus to do so."

I completely agree with all of this.

I must also say the accompanying picture gave me quite a turn. This is what our new puppy is going to be like...minus the surgically altered ears. He's beautiful and loving, as this dog appears to be, but you certainly wouldn't want him to harbor angry feelings toward you. :) (I still hope she's shorter than I am.) With animals, the carrot is the way to go...lots and lots of loving.

2BICV4b.png
[/IMG]

It's a really interesting article. The fact that they are able to recognize faces probably means there's a deep connection between the dog, and the owner. It's also interesting that humans inadvertently selected dogs and honed this sociable trait, which influenced their evolution. Dogs have been integral to animal domestication; helping humans to herd livestock. I recall even the Paleolithic hunter-gatherers also had dogs as pets. They probably also were useful with hunting, and alerting them of danger, in addition to companionship.

The animals are smarter than what we humans think.

Even cats are smarter than people think, not to mention dogs. :)

Of course, it varies by breed too. My parents first had a poodle, and I swear to you that sometimes that dog seemed as smart to me as a lot of humans. He just couldn't talk. :)

After my Dad retired, they got a Springer Spaniel. That was a bit of a disaster. He was lovable and loving and very loyal but pretty dumb, I'm sorry to say. Springer Spaniels were also bred to retrieve downed birds, often from water. That was a problem, because my father had put in a two acre pond! That dog would go swimming every day, and then roll in the dirt to dry off. My mother, who kept the cleanest house I've ever seen, practically had a breakdown!

Finally, he was given a "house" in the garage, and only once he'd been hosed down and dried could he come upstairs. What a disaster.

Do they really recognize faces, or is it scent... I used to tease my lab when he was on a lead on the deck by sneaking around the house with something covering my hair and body, all scrunched down. Gus would start growling the minute he saw me, his hair would stand up on his back, and he would get in an attack position, all the time sniffing the air. When I would get close enough for him to smell me (maybe 25 feet) he would jump up and start wagging.

Even cats are smarter than people think, not to mention dogs. :)Of course, it varies by breed too. My parents first had a poodle, and I swear to you that sometimes that dog seemed as smart to me as a lot of humans. He just couldn't talk. :)After my Dad retired, they got a Springer Spaniel. That was a bit of a disaster. He was lovable and loving and very loyal but pretty dumb, I'm sorry to say. Springer Spaniels were also bred to retrieve downed birds, often from water. That was a problem, because my father had put in a two acre pond! That dog would go swimming every day, and then roll in the dirt to dry off. My mother, who kept the cleanest house I've ever seen, practically had a breakdown! Finally, he was given a "house" in the garage, and only once he'd been hosed down and dried could he come upstairs. What a disaster.
For sure cats have around 300 milion neurons, while dogs have much less.

Do they really recognize faces, or is it scent... I used to tease my lab when he was on a lead on the deck by sneaking around the house with something covering my hair and body, all scrunched down. Gus would start growling the minute he saw me, his hair would stand up on his back, and he would get in an attack position, all the time sniffing the air. When I would get close enough for him to smell me (maybe 25 feet) he would jump up and start wagging.
They do, my cat's terrorized by my friend who petted him in a harsh way once.

I think they determined it by looking at what lighted up in the dogs' brains when they were shown certain pictures. It's the area of the brain wired for visual recognition.

I was wondering when I read it how the heck they got dogs to stay in an MRI machine. I have a big problem with the small tunnel like ones and I'm a human! :)

They said it took six months just to train them to stay still in there. What patience.

If you're down the street, far enough away for him not to be able to smell you, does he still recognize you? This new dog of ours seems to recognize me from down the corner when he comes home from a walk. In the anecdote you're describing, what if you stood that far away but your face was uncovered? Would he know you?

good point Angela, it could be a combination. He didn't recognize my face and thought I could be a stranger until he could identify my scent. I have to say, I do the same kind of thing with my cat when I come home and she's sleeping on my bed. She hunkers down and tries to hide until she recognizes me.

I have to agree about cat's in some ways are smarter than dogs. The cat plays hide and seek with me, she runs in and hides behind the bedroom door and jumps out at me when she knows I'm there. Then I can hide behind the door and she jumps behind the door at me when I'm in hiding.

This thread has been viewed 3637 times.

Back