Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Who We Are and How We Got Here: Ancient DNA and the New Science of the Human Past

Moderator Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First Class1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Level
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,012
    Overall activity: 76.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by bicicleur View Post
    what's the matter then?
    what takes them so long?
    I recall that the grant that they've received for all of these studies was about $400k. Despite the fact that the cost to sequence the ancient samples is relatively low. I think it's possible their concern is to make it as cost effective as possible.

I believe it was about $200 to sequence an ancient sample. With 1/3rd of them being successful. So they probably want to make sure the samples they are willing to spend the money on are of particular high quality. That's my speculation.

Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Ethnic group
    Italian

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    I recall that the grant that they've received for all of these studies was about $400k. Despite the fact that the cost to sequence the ancient samples is relatively low. I think it's possible their concern is to make it as cost effective as possible.

I believe it was about $200 to sequence an ancient sample. With 1/3rd of them being successful. So they probably want to make sure the samples they are willing to spend the money on are of particular high quality. That's my speculation.
    Plus, all their grad students have to get a paper to their credit. That's part of their function as a teaching institution. I also think that given their reputation they can't be slap dash. I'll be interested to see if they incorporate some of the new programs which have come out recently.

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    Level
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 434
    Overall activity: 10.0%

well, let's wait a bit longer then
    it should be worth it

Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 0%

Haven’t posted for awhile. This whole scenario of paying for your blood results is quite a moneymaker. But can be used beneficially for sure. I had no problem giving my DNA up. The results were exact from what I already researched on my family history. The problem is that after your recent inclusions of genetic history (ie. grandparents) things start to be obscure and are updated often. I tested with 23 and me

Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 0%

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Plus, all their grad students have to get a paper to their credit. That's part of their function as a teaching institution. I also think that given their reputation they can't be slap dash. I'll be interested to see if they incorporate some of the new programs which have come out recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed the Red View Post
    Haven’t posted for awhile. This whole scenario of paying for your blood results is quite a moneymaker. But can be used beneficially for sure. I had no problem giving my DNA up. The results were exact from what I already researched on my family history. The problem is that after your recent inclusions of genetic history (ie. grandparents) things start to be obscure and are updated often. I tested with 23 and me
    It’s gonna be really hard to define a population as they were mixing from time continuum. Most Europeans have a percentage of Neanderthal, and as far as I know they have no explanation of their beginning, might be a mystery for a very long time!

Moderator Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

Ethnic group
    Italian

I don't know if anyone posted this yet. But I saw that it was relatively recent.

Moderator Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

Ethnic group
    Italian

I just noticed some blatant dishonesty on Wikipedia. Some unscrupulous weasel tried to purport Razib Khan's review of the Reich book as unfavorable. When the very first sentence right off the bat of the link for it states this:

"So I read the final version of Who We Are and How We Got Here: Ancient DNA and the New Science of the Human Past. It’s good. "

https://www.gnxp.com/WordPress/2018/...he-human-past/
    I swear, it is truly pathetic how some detractors behave. However, Wikipedia is prone to this kind of disinformation, and half-truths. Disgusting.

Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Ethnic group
    Italian

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    I just noticed some blatant dishonesty on Wikipedia. Some unscrupulous weasel tried to purport Razib Khan's review of the Reich book as unfavorable. When the very first sentence right off the bat of the link for it states this:

I swear, it is truly pathetic how some detractors behave. However, Wikipedia is prone to this kind of disinformation, and half-truths. Disgusting.
    Whole topics are totally distorted there. If possible, I use an older source like the Britannica, or a university web site, or I go to one of the original papers and follow the citations to get the whole story.

Just look at the misinformation and slanting that appear here. The same people are changing Wiki.

Twitter is even worse in terms of the vituperation, piling on, etc. that goes on there, and usually by the most "left" or "progressive" leaning people. It's toxic. I'm so glad I never used it.

In addition to being a force for good, the media can be a force for bad, something that can be manipulated by dishonest, agenda driven people, and also something that further drives the divide between different points of view. When you're demonized, it's hard not to respond in kind.

Moderator Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

Ethnic group
    Italian

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Whole topics are totally distorted there. If possible, I use an older source like the Britannica, or a university web site, or I go to one of the original papers and follow the citations to get the whole story.

Just look at the misinformation and slanting that appear here. The same people are changing Wiki.

Twitter is even worse in terms of the vituperation, piling on, etc. that goes on there, and usually by the most "left" or "progressive" leaning people. It's toxic. I'm so glad I never used it.

In addition to being a force for good, the media can be a force for bad, something that can be manipulated by dishonest, agenda driven people, and also something that further drives the divide between different points of view. When you're demonized, it's hard not to respond in kind.
    Indeed, the obfuscation of facts by left-wing hardliners, is just as damaging to discourse as ethno-nationalist propaganda.

PC liberals are just more "well intentioned" morons, like the religious extremists, and communists before them. I too have never used twitter, and never plan on in the future.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678