Who We Are and How We Got Here: Ancient DNA and the New Science of the Human Past

Given that their name didn't pass to their city, ok, granted.
But were the Luwians, Palaians, and Lydians small tribes too ? if they weren't then some admixture should have accompanied their arrival.
I don't know. It is strange that all these Anatolian tribes emerge ca 4 ka out of nowhere, while it seperated from PIE some 2000 years earlier.

I don't know. It is strange that all these Anatolian tribes emerge ca 4 ka out of nowhere, while it seperated from PIE some 2000 years earlier.

They may have been there before 4 ka, the absence of written records doesn't imply they didn't exist.

These clusters are indeed based on moderns, but I think they do "correlate" with some ancient populations.
When you cluster people at K=3, you usually get West_Eurasian, East_Eurasian, and African clusters. at a higher K, West_Eurasian divides into a Baltic_Atlantic cluster and a Near Eastern cluster, these two ultimately divide into the four closely related clusters:
1-Southwest Asian.
2-Mediterranean.
3-North European.
4-West Asian.
4 is different from 1, 1 is high in Arabians, Levantines, and North Africans. While 4 is Caucasian, Iranian, and South_Central Asian.
When running ancient samples through calculators that employ this scheme, Iran_N and CHG score high levels of West Asian, European farmers have high Meditteranean, SHG are high in North European, and Natufians are high in Southwest Asian.
At higher K, West Asian separates into two clusters: Caucasian and Baloch/Gedrosia.
Abkhasians are a Caucasian people, they have about 50% West Asian and 25% Meditteranean, but when you have a Caucasus cluster they become 70% Caucasian, 20% Baloch, and 0% Meditteranean !! why ?
Caucasus cluster contains the Med Alleles that were previously assigned to Meditteranean, when you run ancient samples, European farmers are now 35+ Caucasian.
Look at this PCA, Abkhasians and Georgians, who are the modal populations for the Caucasus cluster, are closer to the Meditteranean than the Makrani and Baloch peoples, who are high in Gedrosia.
MDS1600.png

The reason why the Yamnaya had Baloch but not Caucasus is because they didn't have adequate EEF ancestry that would make it more Caucasian.

I don't disagree, but as Dienekes pointed out himself about his and other people's calculators, "Caucasus" is not exactly the same component in each calculator. The clusters are not always exactly the same, so, it's important not to make any concrete and rigid conclusions when using them.

Also, I'd be wary of using the amateur analyses showing things like 35% Caucasus in EEF. Frankly, imo, most of the people posting this stuff have no idea what they're doing. They throw everything except the kitchen sink at the algorithms and if they like the result they post it. I see people mixing samples from wildly different eras, for example.

One thing is clear. If we stick to one calculator and compare the samples, the "Caucasus" cluster increased in European farmers with time, with Copper Age Otzi having a good chunk.

7IQlInE.png
[/IMG]

So, this movement of more CHG heavy people started in the Copper Age, and I think got even heavier in the Bronze Age.

What I also know is that you can't look at the "Gedrosia" cluster percentages and think you're getting the "Indo-European" input in certain areas. Italy is an example. Every academic study shows that at least for Northern Italy and Tuscany, the Indo-European "steppe" percentage is around 25-30% depending on the area. That's far more than what the Gedrosia map shows.

That's what I mean when I say that it can confuse people more than enlighten them.

I just ordered my hardcover copy, but it will probably take 3 weeks to cross the Ocean and get delivered here.

Also, I'd be wary of using the amateur analyses showing things like 35% Caucasus in EEF. Frankly, imo, most of the people posting this stuff have no idea what they're doing. They throw everything except the kitchen sink at the algorithms and if they like the result they post it. I see people mixing samples from wildly different eras, for example.
One thing is clear. If we stick to one calculator and compare the samples, the "Caucasus" cluster increased in European farmers with time, with Copper Age Otzi having a good chunk.
So, this movement of more CHG heavy people started in the Copper Age, and I think got even heavier in the Bronze Age.
What I also know is that you can't look at the "Gedrosia" cluster percentages and think you're getting the "Indo-European" input in certain areas. Italy is an example. Every academic study shows that at least for Northern Italy and Tuscany, the Indo-European "steppe" percentage is around 25-30% depending on the area. That's far more than what the Gedrosia map shows.
That's what I mean when I say that it can confuse people more than enlighten them.

As one of those amateurs you quite legitimately incriminate, I confirm that those Caucasus and Gedrosia percentages have always baffled me. I have my own hypothesis about the rise of Caucasus and Gedrosia percentages in copper age Europe though. What I imagine is a rather massive wave of newcomers from the Kura-Araxes culture, distinct from and much posterior to the original Farmer migrations. A movement that would be somehow parallel (and perhaps simultaneous) to the migration from the steppe further north. They would have brought a lot of J to Greece, for example, but with Anatolia on the way, they would have been quite farmer-admixed by the time they got there - blending as much as replacing.

They could even have spoken an Anatolian IE language. Which would explain why Mycenians spoke IE without drastically altering the autosomal makeup of ancient Greece after their arrival. Let me repeat I am an amateur. If what's above is simply foolish, feel free to say so.

What is really European in their mindset ? Europeans could be modelled as a mixture of the Near Eastern cline + European HG cline. anyone who fits this model is European.

European hunter-gatherers aren't European in the same sense Near Easterners are not European.

PCAtest2_Eurogenes_2016-06-23_detail-Levant.png

There's nothing logical about their stance. The scientists have been telling us for years that "Europeans" are a mixture of three ancient populations (and those are again a mixture of other ancient populations) in different proportions depending on the area. The earliest you could start talking about "Europeans" as an "ethnic" cluster is the Bronze Age.

A lot of the furor is really just a form of disguised racism, imho. First the usual suspects wanted to define Europeans by how much WHG, because it was the "native" (really just the first to arrive, of course) group. When it turned out they might have been dark skinned, it was suddenly the EHG (the SHG were the really light ones, but there's little evidence they had a big impact) proportion that was important. However, the language, the cultural changes were "Indo-European", so that was the important thing. Unfortunately, data came out that the "Indo-Europeans" were, according to the researchers, close to 50% modern "Armenian like". That couldn't be allowed to stand. I remember what seemed like months of frantic modeling to show it wasn't so. At worst, it was half Georgian like. Somehow Georgians are more acceptable, maybe because looking "Armenian" is, for these people, associated with looking Jewish. Same goes for "Iranian like" I guess: it's too dark and Muslim as well. So, the push came to define it solely as "CHG" Caucasus "hunters" and imply they had been north of the Caucasus so they weren't REALLY Middle Easterners.

Well, the chickens came home to roost, and before this book. The "Indo-European" ancestry by which they try to define "European-ness" is REALLY half "Middle Eastern", although now they say "West Asian", as if that's more palatable.

It couldn't happen to more deserving people. :)

@Ygorcs
Why do you say steppe people and ANI were already very similar? They both had an "Iranian farmer" like component, to use Reich's terminology, heavily CHG, but the other half was wildly different: EHG vs. ASI

I don't know why it should be surprising if all of India was ASI before the arrival of the Iranian farmers and the steppe people. All of Europe was WHG. All of the New World was Amerindian, mostly from one migration pulse.

@Yetos,
The Caspian shores look like a good bet also just going by the geography: that's the only corridor I see other than some mountain passes.

We've discussed this on the site a lot of times.

I'm really interested to see if they have the pertinent Iranian samples, and Maykop as well.

@Bicicleur,
If it is some form of R1b the pertinent samples may be unpublished, coming perhaps from areas closer to Iran. Years ago Jean Manco had speculated that perhaps R1b and R1a could have spent part of the year south of the Caucasus. Who knows, maybe she was right.

It could also be another y lineage, however, perhaps the more "northern" G2a or J2b.

It seems to me that the Indo-European speakers in Anatolia covered a pretty wide area:

Ancient-Anatolian-Languages-Map.png

I know that the samples Reich is talking about were from southwestern Anatolia. So, you'd think there'd be some hint of "steppe" in that area, no?

There were two Indoeuropean expansions into Europe, one north that created EHG-CHG people in the Steppe, and one west that mixed with local farmers and spread R1b-L51, the Gedrosian component is related to the Indoeuropeans who expanded west.

I haven't heard this one before.

This is Maciamo's explanation on the R1b page:

[FONT=&quot]Towards the end of the 5th millennium, an elite starts to develop with cattle, horses and copper used as status symbols. It is at the turn of the Khvalynsk and Sredny Stog periods that R1b-M269's main subclade, L23, is thought to have appeared, around 4,500 BCE. 99% of Indo-European R1b descends from this L23 clade. The other branch descended from M269 is PF7562, which is found mostly in the Balkans, Turkey and Armenia today, and may represent an early Steppe migration to the Balkans dating from the Sredny Stog period.

[/FONT]
R1b-migration-map.jpg
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
Jdothlm.png

From this article https://r1b-pf7562.blogspot.am/:

""In the mythology of the ancient Greeks, the Illyrians and Celts are relatives: "A later version of this mythic genealogy gives as parents Polyphemus and Galatea, who gave birth to Celtus, Galas, and Illyrius, three brothers, progenitors respectively of Celts, Galatians and Illyrians expresses perceived similarities to Celts and Gauls on the part of the mythographe. " Carriers PF7562 and Z2103 in Bashkortostan and Dagestan are descendants of representatives of a pit archaeological culture: the sub-Bashkirs and Dagestanis are the same as the fossil remains of the Yam culture. Yamnaya culture"

Do these distributions and maps align?

Also I think J2b2-L283 seems to corroborate with M269:

Distribution-of-haplogroup-J2b-M102-in-Europe-the-Middle-East-North-Africa.ppm

I haven't heard this one before.

This is Maciamo's explanation on the R1b page:

Towards the end of the 5th millennium, an elite starts to develop with cattle, horses and copper used as status symbols. It is at the turn of the Khvalynsk and Sredny Stog periods that R1b-M269's main subclade, L23, is thought to have appeared, around 4,500 BCE. 99% of Indo-European R1b descends from this L23 clade. The other branch descended from M269 is PF7562, which is found mostly in the Balkans, Turkey and Armenia today, and may represent an early Steppe migration to the Balkans dating from the Sredny Stog period.

R1b-migration-map.jpg

Jdothlm.png

From this article https://r1b-pf7562.blogspot.am/:

""In the mythology of the ancient Greeks, the Illyrians and Celts are relatives: "A later version of this mythic genealogy gives as parents Polyphemus and Galatea, who gave birth to Celtus, Galas, and Illyrius, three brothers, progenitors respectively of Celts, Galatians and Illyrians expresses perceived similarities to Celts and Gauls on the part of the mythographe. " Carriers PF7562 and Z2103 in Bashkortostan and Dagestan are descendants of representatives of a pit archaeological culture: the sub-Bashkirs and Dagestanis are the same as the fossil remains of the Yam culture. Yamnaya culture"

Do these distributions and maps align?

Also I think J2b2-L283 seems to corroborate with M269:

Distribution-of-haplogroup-J2b-M102-in-Europe-the-Middle-East-North-Africa.ppm

Part of the problem, in my opinion, is that there is a too rigid attempt to precisely align yDna lineage with language.

Y lines can be wildly different in terms of autosomal make up. Just look at the J1 sample in Karelia, or all the I2a farmers in Europe. Language is the same. The language a y line speaks can differ over time. Look at all the R1b and R1a Turkic speakers.

The question which I find very interesting is whether the so called "West Asian" lineages of R1b, the more upstream ones that show up a lot in the Balkans and southern Italy as well as in the Middle East are all from originally non-Indo-European speaking people, or if some of it is from early "Anatolian" Indo-European speakers.

It would really help to know the y lines of the non J2a Mycenaeans, although the argument could still be made that it came early from the steppe, as was Maciamo's position.

That's why I want to start reading the book, to see if there are any further clues as to which way the Reich Lab is leaning in terms of whether the first Greek speakers came down from the steppe through the Balkans, or perhaps from the northern Anatolian coast.

One factor not to lose sight of is that we're now finding a lot of ancient R1b in the Balkans. If it was also in the Caucasus or nearby, we're talking about an incredible range.

Let's make things clear. Hittite and Luwian were both very closely related, Lydian on the other hand, is quite different from Hittite and Luwian despite being part of the Anatolian branch of the Indoeuropean family, also while Luwian and Hittite are recorded since the second millenium bc, Lydian is only attested since the 8-7th century bc, and because of this some scholars believe Lydians might have migrated to Lydia after the bronze age , because the only bronze age inscriptions from the area that would later become Lydia in the iron age are all Luwian. Also let's not confuse Lydian with Lycian, although the names sound similar, Lycian is considered to be a dialect of Luwian, along with the Carian, Sidetic and Pisidic languages.

Please let's not mix things up. Hittite and Luwian were both very closely related, Lydian on the other hand, is quite different from Hittite and Luwian despite being part of the Anatolian branch of the Indoeuropean family, also while Luwian and Hittite are recorded since the second millenium bc, Lydian is only attested since the 8-7th century bc, and because of this some scholars believe Lydians might have migrated to Lydia after the bronze age , because the only bronze age inscriptions from the area that would later become Lydia in the iron age are all Luwian. Also let's not confuse Lydian with Lycian, although the names sound similar, Lycian is considered to be a dialect of Luwian, along with the Carian, Sidetic and Pisidic languages.

All very interesting, but the fact remains that if the speakers of those languages arrived in Anatolia from the steppe via the Balkans, we should see quite a bit of WHG and EHG, and from the samples which have been published from southwestern Anatolia where Anatolian languages were present, they're not there.

Now, that's not a lot of samples, but given the Reich Lab has 2000 analyzed but not published samples, and he's going out on a limb with a speculation like this, I think it may be true either that the "Anatolian" languages originated in Anatolia, or perhaps that they moved south through the Caucasus. Since he doesn't mention that as a possibility, perhaps they have other samples from around Leyla Tepe, for example, or from the Stans that leads him to believe the first form of IE was spoken south of the Caucasus.

I don't know what the real answer is. Even given who he is, without a paper and actual samples, I can't make a judgment.

These clusters are indeed based on moderns, but I think they do "correlate" with some ancient populations.

When you cluster people at K=3, you usually get West_Eurasian, East_Eurasian, and African clusters. at a higher K, West_Eurasian divides into a Baltic_Atlantic cluster and a Near Eastern cluster, these two ultimately divide into the four closely related clusters:

1-Southwest Asian.
2-Mediterranean.
3-North European.
4-West Asian.

4 is different from 1, 1 is high in Arabians, Levantines, and North Africans. While 4 is Caucasian, Iranian, and South_Central Asian.

When running ancient samples through calculators that employ this scheme, Iran_N and CHG score high levels of West Asian, European farmers have high Meditteranean, SHG are high in North European, and Natufians are high in Southwest Asian.

At higher K, West Asian separates into two clusters: Caucasian and Baloch/Gedrosia.

Abkhasians are a Caucasian people, they have about 50% West Asian and 25% Meditteranean, but when you have a Caucasus cluster they become 70% Caucasian, 20% Baloch, and 0% Meditteranean !! why ?

Caucasus cluster contains the Med Alleles that were previously assigned to Meditteranean, when you run ancient samples, European farmers are now 35+ Caucasian.

Look at this PCA, Abkhasians and Georgians, who are the modal populations for the Caucasus cluster, are closer to the Meditteranean than the Makrani and Baloch peoples, who are high in Gedrosia.

MDS1600.png

The reason why the Yamnaya had Baloch but not Caucasus is because they didn't have adequate EEF ancestry that would make it more Caucasian.

Τhank you Iron
but I think you just add a clue to my observation,

cause I still believe that aryan came from Steppe to Yamnaa
but made a circle of caspian sea,

I have the feeling,
and the vision of IEanisation of steppe,

I mean could Gedrosian be IEanised ?
and then enter Europe from North paths of Caucasus??

and become so high to Europe, especially Western after the known plate disease strikes,
as immune?

straight as possible,
could Gedrosian not to be a proto-mark of IE,
but a second IEnised and then expand?

for those who think R1b-M269 crossed the Caucasus to get to the Pontic steppe, I think it is strange we don't find any in early Armenian
afaik the earliest is the Yamna R1b-Z2103 and it postdates Yamna

if the PIE was in Transkaukasia, it is not sure they were R1b-M269

as for the Hittites, bear in mind that it was a multilinqual, multi-ethnical empire under IE leadership
proof of that is to be found in the multilingual library of Hatussa
it was not a solid block like Egypt, it was more a confederacy of semi-autonomous tribes paying tribute to the Hittite kings
every time the Hittite king went to war, he had to ask a military contingency from each of these tribes
that made the empire weak every time there was a dispute over succession

the Hittite empire came to existence when a small IE tribe conquered the land of the Hatti, who were non-IE
before that the Assyrians had their own free-trade zone in the land of the Hatti, maybe even a colony

but weren't there other languages of the 'Anatolian branch' like e.g. Luwian?

hm
I am thinking

Hettit and Hattian are the most known in the Hettit empire,

could it be the Same as Mycenean Minoan?
as the last Lazarides papper?

you jusτ add a new horizon to see the view
or you just deceive my view?

hmmm

There's nothing logical about their stance. The scientists have been telling us for years that "Europeans" are a mixture of three ancient populations (and those are again a mixture of other ancient populations) in different proportions depending on the area. The earliest you could start talking about "Europeans" as an "ethnic" cluster is the Bronze Age.

A lot of the furor is really just a form of disguised racism, imho. First the usual suspects wanted to define Europeans by how much WHG, because it was the "native" (really just the first to arrive, of course) group. When it turned out they might have been dark skinned, it was suddenly the EHG (the SHG were the really light ones, but there's little evidence they had a big impact) proportion that was important. However, the language, the cultural changes were "Indo-European", so that was the important thing. Unfortunately, data came out that the "Indo-Europeans" were, according to the researchers, close to 50% modern "Armenian like". That couldn't be allowed to stand. I remember what seemed like months of frantic modeling to show it wasn't so. At worst, it was half Georgian like. Somehow Georgians are more acceptable, maybe because looking "Armenian" is, for these people, associated with looking Jewish. Same goes for "Iranian like" I guess: it's too dark and Muslim as well. So, the push came to define it solely as "CHG" Caucasus "hunters" and imply they had been north of the Caucasus so they weren't REALLY Middle Easterners.

Well, the chickens came home to roost, and before this book. The "Indo-European" ancestry by which they try to define "European-ness" is REALLY half "Middle Eastern", although now they say "West Asian", as if that's more palatable.

It couldn't happen to more deserving people. :)

Well, as long as they dont have political influence, who cares :)

Middle Easterns should turn out to be a mixture of Basal Eurasians and groups related to European hunter-gatherers, with further dilution of Basal compared to the Neolithic, by ancestry in the direction of Europe actually. We're composed of the same elements, with different proportions.

That doesn't mean racism is justified when we're not descended from the same populations :) I just felt saying that. must be my diplomatic leaning personality.

Well, as long as they dont have political influence, who cares :)
Middle Easterns should turn out to be a mixture of Basal Eurasians and groups related to European hunter-gatherers, with further dilution of Basal compared to the Neolithic, by ancestry in the direction of Europe actually. We're composed of the same elements, with different proportions.
That doesn't mean racism is justified when we're not descended from the same populations :) I just felt saying that. must be my diplomatic leaning personality.

Looks to me like they have a lot of political influence in Eastern Europe, and look set to have more, and it's starting in Western Europe, too. Goebbels said that if you repeat a lie often enough it becomes the truth. He's right. Sometimes what look like ridiculous, stupid demagogues amass a lot of power.

Sorry, but I think you have a very short-sighted view, particularly as a member of a group that would be targeted.

Part of the problem, in my opinion, is that there is a too rigid attempt to precisely align yDna lineage with language.

Y lines can be wildly different in terms of autosomal make up. Just look at the J1 sample in Karelia, or all the I2a farmers in Europe. Language is the same. The language a y line speaks can differ over time. Look at all the R1b and R1a Turkic speakers.

The question which I find very interesting is whether the so called "West Asian" lineages of R1b, the more upstream ones that show up a lot in the Balkans and southern Italy as well as in the Middle East are all from originally non-Indo-European speaking people, or if some of it is from early "Anatolian" Indo-European speakers.

It would really help to know the y lines of the non J2a Mycenaeans, although the argument could still be made that it came early from the steppe, as was Maciamo's position.

That's why I want to start reading the book, to see if there are any further clues as to which way the Reich Lab is leaning in terms of whether the first Greek speakers came down from the steppe through the Balkans, or perhaps from the northern Anatolian coast.

One factor not to lose sight of is that we're now finding a lot of ancient R1b in the Balkans. If it was also in the Caucasus or nearby, we're talking about an incredible range.

AT LAST

I love you now,

That is the main problem,

and that creates more Questions,
for example

the root of 'Lazarides' proved genetically Myceneans and their road,
IS TOTTALY OUT OF YAMNAANS

So instead of one migration from steppe to Yamnaa to Europe
We might had 2 tottaly unconnected different migrations

and in my eyes there is also the iron age Schytian migration
a 3rd wave heavily steppe.

AND TO CONTINUE
IF WE CONSIDER G as IE
especially the G2a, Kleitos etc
THEN WE MIGHT HAVE IE SPOKEN IN BALKANS MUCH BEFORE R1b and R1a,

WHICH MEANS THAT R1b/R1a Genetical marks does not fit with where PIE first spoken

But got IEanised just before enter Europe.
and/but its migration show the IE language expansion only,
But not the proto-land of where IE spoken
(allow me to use the term proto-land, I do not know how else to express it)

AT LAST

I love you now,

That is the main problem,

and that creates more Questions,
for example

the root of 'Lazarides' proved genetically Myceneans and their road,
IS TOTTALY OUT OF YAMNAANS

So instead of one migration from steppe to Yamnaa to Europe
We might had 2 tottaly unconnected different migrations

and in my eyes there is also the iron age Schytian migration
a 3rd wave heavily steppe.

AND TO CONTINUE
IF WE CONSIDER G as IE
especially the G2a, Kleitos etc
THEN WE MIGHT HAVE IE SPOKEN IN BALKANS MUCH BEFORE R1b and R1a,

Which means that R1b/R1a is not the genetical mark of first place IE spoken
But got IEnised just before enter Europe.
and its migration show the IE language expansion,
But not the proto-land of where IE spoken
(allow me to use the term proto-land, I do not know how else to express it)

You should have loved me all along; I always thought there were two possibilities! :)

An interesting fact is that Afghans may be even more "steppe" than Europeans. I think they have 50% or more "steppe". Does that mean they're more "European" than Spaniards, and able to fit into European culture? This is the kind of unintended consequences you get from the stupidity that some of the people in this hobby peddle.

The Scythians were Tajik like from what I've seen, which actually makes sense. Remember all the modeling trying to prove they were Slavs?

What a tangled web, indeed.

Looks to me like they have a lot of political influence in Eastern Europe, and look set to have more, and it's starting in Western Europe, too. Goebbels said that if you repeat a lie often enough it becomes the truth. He's right. Sometimes what look like ridiculous, stupid demagogues amass a lot of power.

Sorry, but I think you have a very short-sighted view, particularly as a member of a group that would be targeted.

Maybe I have :) we all die eventually.

As to my group being targeted, my group doesn't think we're one group, we still target each other :)

You should have loved me all along; I always thought there were two possibilities! :)

An interesting fact is that Afghans may be even more "steppe" than Europeans. I think they have 50% or more "steppe". Does that mean they're more "European" than Spaniards, and able to fit into European culture? This is the kind of unintended consequences you get from the stupidity that some of the people in this hobby peddle.

The Scythians were Tajik like from what I've seen, which actually makes sense. Remember all the modeling trying to prove they were Slavs?

What a tangled web, indeed.

personally I believe that Scythians contribute to Slavic identification/ethnogenesis
but not the oposite.

in fact I believe they were Steppe Satem para-Aryan speakers,
and ancient historians describe quite well considering them outer-Persians (Iranians)
or maybe due to linguistic Satem ? ....

there are thoughts,
that we all afraid to express,
since we are all not gods,
and in a very open new field as genetics
EACH YEAR WE MIGHT REGREAT WHAT WE SAID THE YEAR BEFORE,
yet as search 'walks' better say runs,
today we have some stable to consider as basis,

As the power of my mouse

300px-Apodemus_sylvaticus_bosmuis.jpg

HIS NAME IS ΜΥΣ Ο ΠΟΝΤΙΚΟΣ
BLACK SEA MOUSE,
he loves to travel with ships, and live in harbors

AND HE IS POWERFULL

consider that he Killed millions of humans
some still consider it responsible for

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plague_of_Athens

neither is he, a 'weak' against humans
Z

kounoupi-tigris-2xrujp9fuuxxunf2h5340a.jpg

Z

This thread has been viewed 77535 times.

Back