Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-PF7566 (R-Y227216)
mtDNA haplogroup
H6a1b7
Q3NP31A.jpg

(ANSA) - Milan, March 15 - Michelangelo may have hidden a self-portrait in a sketch of an aristocratic woman poetess friend held in the British Museum, a new study from a Brazilian university says.

The study by art expert Deivos de Campos of Porto Alegre's federal university of health science says the Renaissance genius hid a caricature of himself in the 1525 sketch of Vittoria Colonna.

The small outline of a man hunched over a painting can be seen if you carefully scan the ink lines of the folds in the noblewoman's dress, around the abdomen area, de Campo says.
The expert says the man's shape resembles a self-caricature the artist sketched in 1509 on the side of a sonnet dedicated to his friend and fellow artist Giovanni da Pistoia.

In that first sketch Michelangelo showed himself upright, painting the Sistine Chapel, while in this second sketch he is shown with his body leaning over at an acute angle, as if Michelangelo himself were painting the whole portrait. According to Deivos de Campos, the self-caricature could be a hidden 'signature' by the artist, and it may furnish precious evidence about his build and health at that time, when he was 50.

The alleged discovery is another step forward in the treasure hunt which researchers have pursued over the years to try to find meaningful hidden drawings and resonant symbols in Michelangelo's work.

A year ago, it was de Campos' group that found pagan symbols that allude to the anatomy of the female reproductive system in the Medici Chapels in Florence.
On that occasion, the researchers said Michelangelo carved pagan symbols of the female sex organs in the Medici Chapels in Florence just as he painted them in the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican.

Skulls, shells and spheres allegedly evoke the shapes of the uterus and Fallopian tubes, the team led by de Campos said - the same group that a few months previously found similar allegedly anatomical symbols in the Sistine Chapel, as alleged tokens of female power in a Church that held them back.

The Medici Chapel study focused on three symbols carved beside the tombs of Giuliano and Lorenzo de' Medici: skulls of cattle and rams, spheres connected by cords, and a shell.
According to the Brazilian experts, their shape is a coded reference to that of the uterus and the Fallopian tubes, organs of female reproduction.

The Renaissance genius inserted them into his work with the intention of "representing the capacity for rebirth and regeneration between life and death," said the team.

http://www.ansa.it/english/news/lifestyle/arts/2018/03/15/michelangelo-self-portrait-found-4_7c8db2c9-6791-4924-9fb6-bc08d503ea6b.html

At first I couldn't see it. But if you look closely, you can see a figure.

Im having an aneurism trying to spot him lol

It took a while before I spot him, but I manage to see after a few minutes. I redraw... ok more like butchered, the contour of the form.View attachment 9864Edit: I'm not sure... did it work for you guys?

Edit: maybe a .png is too exotic, let's try a .jpeg

michelangelo.jpg

I see it now. My back hurts just looking at it lol

It took a while before I spot him, but I manage to see after a few minutes. I redraw... ok more like butchered, the contour of the form.View attachment 9864Edit: I'm not sure... did it work for you guys?

Yup, that's it. He's not in bad shape for a man of fifty. One of the things I like about Michelangelo Buonarroti is his sense of humor, and, in particular, his self-deprecating humor.

This is also supposed to be one of his self-portraits, but this time a serious one: Nicodemus as an old man helping to lower Jesus' body from the cross.

IMG_2343.jpg

These portraits are supposed to be of him:
75046-004-E437D9A2.jpg

b68b48ded608ce7fe511532f8f8e1626.jpg

I was able to spot him after seeing his legs

I think I see it too.
... off topic: In Florence I’ve seen 1000th of Tourists not realizing that they were looking at copies of the David. You MUST go see the REAL David at the Galleria dell’Accademia.
It’s Amazing. I’ve admired and loved the “Birth of Venus” of Botticelli, the same with the Angel of Leonardo, but by standing below the sculpture of the David of Michelangelo it’s almost a religious experience. The details are Superbs, I felt ... , I can’t explain in words what I felt.
I tingling sensation all over my body as I was expecting the David to actually start moving. I witnessed Art Perfection.

The placement and the natural light falling on him is part of it. Very well done.
f320bab8feeb1fbe80a6b55dc487bec5--statue-of-david-david-statue-michelangelo.jpg

I have a quite visceral reaction to his Pietas as well. Sculpture, being three dimensional, sometimes speaks to me more than a painting, although the first time I saw a Van Gogh in person was a sort of epiphany.

I prefer the Pieta above of his old age, but the more famous one is spectacular.

Pictures don't do it justice at all.

michelangelos-beautiful-pieta.jpg

Jesus' beautiful face is haunting. The model was a Jew from the ghetto, btw. Mary was based on a Roman girl. Interesting artistic choice to make her so young.

pieta-jesusface.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

The Pietà in the Vatican is also amazing. When you look at the Pietà in person is strikingly clear that Jesus looks older than his mother.
People speculates, about which “Mary” Michelangelo is actually portraying. Still Amazing.

This thread has been viewed 6592 times.

Back