Interpreting my Gedmatch Results

Johane Derite

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
E-V13>Z5018>FGC33625
mtDNA haplogroup
U1a1a
Here are some of my Gedmatch results on various projects. What is the most rational way to read my results overall in a long term sense, i.e.
into what historical narratives/populations do results like this fit into most?

Wrt recent history I'm an Albanian with origins from North Kosova.

3/4ths of my grandparents are Albanians that were ethnically cleansed in 1878's from Toplica in what is South Serbia today.

My other grandparent is from the Besiana/Podujeva area of Kosova and the family's history places them there
since they were atleast catholics before the ottomans.

Image of an old mosaic from roman times close to my grandfathers village:

19237486.jpg

Here is a neolithic Vinca artefact that was found 2km's from his village:

xIoU0CX.png

Can these results be used to fairly begin some sort of projection into further back into the past?

Also, I have noticed that some trace amounts of "Papuan, Australoid, Oceanian," show up in some of these
calculators. Anyone know most likely what its from?

sRP613U.png
6jT5cMw.png
yTDokCd.png
szLsUaL.png
hfV3cMJ.png
a6ArXJy.png
bZJGXLu.png
FG94LUN.png
aCqeu6p.png
7mypc1y.png
QoEcYmE.png
7ydCI4d.png
0WiMPx1.png
3zBUJJN.png
qkoqWGv.png
8o4tiV2.png
IebW6kg.png
qZuICHd.png

EDIT

Also this image:
A6S6Oay.png

These Gedmatch screenshots are much bigger than I wished them to be :/

EDIT

Also this image:
A6S6Oay.png

These Gedmatch screenshots are much bigger than I wished them to be :/

Where are these test results from? They look interesting. I think your results are pretty much expected for the region where you say your family is from, but it seems like that steppe ancestry has been increasing more and more in the last few milennia to reach almost 21% in a person with "native" Balkanic ethnicty (Albanian), not derived from a Middle Ages cultural expansion like the Slavs.

Where are these test results from?

The K12 Ancient Admixture calculator from Geneplaza.

it seems like that steppe ancestry has been increasing more and more in the last few milennia to reach almost 21% in a person with "native" Balkanic ethnicty (Albanian),

My bet would be that it's from the Indo european side of Albanian since on gedmatch and such Serbian and other south slavs rarely appear.

And the 3500 year old J2B2-L283 actually has more steppe admixture than me (30% steppe 15% EHG).

x29QxFt.png

Nobody knows what this trace "Australoid/Oceanian/Papuan/Eastern-Non-African" that keeps showing up across calculators might be? Just an artefact?

Forgive me, I know next to nothing about Albania but I think the Bavarian study had people who were a mix between southeast European and some East Asian, but they weren't Albanian but it's something to think about. I'll add that it's probably from old hunter gatherer ancestry. Just my thoughts

The K12 Ancient Admixture calculator from Geneplaza.

My bet would be that it's from the Indo european side of Albanian since on gedmatch and such Serbian and other south slavs rarely appear.

And the 3500 year old J2B2-L283 actually has more steppe admixture than me (30% steppe 15% EHG).

x29QxFt.png

Yes, but in general my impression is that that higher amount of steppe ancestry was gradually diluted as those Indo-European speakers expanded and assimilated the non-IE peoples of the Balkans, so for example the Mycenaeans present very little steppe-ancestry even though their Proto-Greek ancestors probably had much more than them. The Balkans were already densely populated when the IE tribes arrived, and there was also an influx of CHG-related ancestry there from the Chalcolithic to the Bronze Age, so I'd bet that the general trend was of decreasing steppe ancestry until the end of the Bronzr Age. I don't think the increase of steppe ancestry that began later came only or necessarily with Slavs. Even the Illyrian speakers, at least some of them, seem to have spread from the north and were still expanding southwards even by the Iron Age, possibly from Hungary or Austria. Also the Dacians and Thracians don't seem to have been in the southern parts of the Balkans since the early Bronze Age, probably arriving there also from the north or northeast, presumably carrying more steppe ancestry than the Mycenaeans and other IE peoples that arrived before them. The Eastern Germanic, Slavs and Turks (the steppe Turks, not the Anatolian ones) would've been just the final waves of this more heavily steppe-like component streaming into the Balkans. Considering the many migrations to the Balkans since the Iron Age, I'd be a bit surprised if the steppe component hadn't increased at least a bit. But you're right that at least a significant part of that is still very old in the Balkans, coming with the first IE-speaking tribes.

Nobody knows what this trace "Australoid/Oceanian/Papuan/Eastern-Non-African" that keeps showing up across calculators might be? Just an artefact?

I don't know, but like Davef I have a hunch that it has something to do with more eastern-shifted hunter gatherers with origins roughly in North Eurasia (maybe some EHGs living in Siberia or near the Urals?). Some of the most ancient Palaeolithic DNA from North Asia has some surprising connection with Australoid/Papuan peoples (even in terms of Y-DNA, but, more relevant than that, even in autosomal DNA), and I think that the range of Australoid-related people was much larger in the middle Palaeolithic than it became much later in the Mesolithic and particularly Neolithic.

In my case Oceanian and Papuan seems to be Denisovan residue!!

Sorry for no reply, just now seeing this. How does one go about finding out if it's from Denisovan, the idea excites me!

This thread has been viewed 10017 times.

Back