Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 52

Thread: Best Pizza in Italy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    14,759
    Points
    243,081
    Level
    100
    Points: 243,081, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

    Best Pizza in Italy

    They should know: it's put out by Gambero Rosso, our version of the Michelin Guide.

    You can click on the map and get the information for each location.

    See:
    https://www.thelocal.it/20170921/map...aples-campania


    Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

  2. #2
    Moderator Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsThree Friends
    Pax Augusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-06-14
    Posts
    974
    Points
    17,939
    Level
    40
    Points: 17,939, Level: 40
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Overall activity: 30.0%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: Italy



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    They should know: it's put out by Gambero Rosso, our version of the Michelin Guide.

    You can click on the map and get the information for each location.

    See:
    https://www.thelocal.it/20170921/map...aples-campania

    Yes, but it's surely not an exhaustive map. Many pizzerias in southern Italy, and in particular those of Naples, are not really interested in entering the ranking.

    So the article's claim that the map shows where to find the very best pizza in Italy isn't completely true.

    In recent years in Italy there has been a renewed interest in pizza, with the birth of different types of pizzerias from the past, now they are more gourmet-like (and this ranking rewards this type of gourmet-like pizzeria), and increasingly different from the American industrial chains or any kind of pizza chain.

    The types of pizza that has established itself a bit everywhere in Italy in the recent years is that of the Neapolitan tradition.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    AdeoF's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-03-13
    Location
    London - England
    Posts
    251
    Points
    5,643
    Level
    22
    Points: 5,643, Level: 22
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 407
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-L21 (R-DF13)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1 (H1h1) or (H1e1)

    Ethnic group
    Spanish
    Country: UK - England



    I've been to a place like Tonda before it's a hidden gem i can tell you! I can show the pizza i had there later, just don't have the pic from my old phone right now :/

    But i know nothing beats Naples everyone says that

  4. #4
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    14,759
    Points
    243,081
    Level
    100
    Points: 243,081, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    They're great cooks, the Neapolitans, some of the best in Italy, no matter the dish. It helps that a lot of their produce grows in the rich volcanic soil around Vesuvius, and that their sea is teeming with fish compared to ours. I think that's why their cooking is sometimes less complicated than ours: the ingredients are so incredible that you have to do less to them and the dishes still sing.

  5. #5
    Moderator Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsThree Friends
    Pax Augusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-06-14
    Posts
    974
    Points
    17,939
    Level
    40
    Points: 17,939, Level: 40
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Overall activity: 30.0%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: Italy



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    They're great cooks, the Neapolitans, some of the best in Italy, no matter the dish. It helps that a lot of their produce grows in the rich volcanic soil around Vesuvius, and that their sea is teeming with fish compared to ours. I think that's why their cooking is sometimes less complicated than ours: the ingredients are so incredible that you have to do less to them and the dishes still sing.
    I really like Neapolitan cuisine, to tell the truth it seems simple but it has a long cooking time.
    Last edited by Pax Augusta; 23-03-18 at 15:25.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    cybernautic's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-03-18
    Posts
    33
    Points
    1,070
    Level
    8
    Points: 1,070, Level: 8
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 2.0%


    Ethnic group
    Greek
    Country: UK - England



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    They're great cooks, the Neapolitans, some of the best in Italy, no matter the dish. It helps that a lot of their produce grows in the rich volcanic soil around Vesuvius, and that their sea is teeming with fish compared to ours. I think that's why their cooking is sometimes less complicated than ours: the ingredients are so incredible that you have to do less to them and the dishes still sing.
    Is it true that the first Pizza was invented in Napoli?

    Or did Sicilians also make Pizza?

  7. #7
    Moderator Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsThree Friends
    Pax Augusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-06-14
    Posts
    974
    Points
    17,939
    Level
    40
    Points: 17,939, Level: 40
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Overall activity: 30.0%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: Italy



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by cybernautic View Post
    Is it true that the first Pizza was invented in Napoli?

    Or did Sicilians also make Pizza?
    It's true, Pizza, as we know it today, was invented in Naples where it is documented at least since 1700. And in Italy it is commonly accepted that Naples is the home of Pizza.

    Then perhaps similar dishes are older, but they are not like today's pizza with tomato, mozzarella and everything else.

    The word "pizza" according to some documents is attested for the first time in Gaeta in the Year 997, so 1000 years ago. But it is very unlikely that it is like today's pizza. And anyway Gaeta, which is today in the Lazio region, has been always historically part of the Kingdom of Naples, and was in the region of Campania until 1927. In any case it is part of the history of Naples.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Yetos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-10-11
    Location
    Makedonia
    Posts
    5,159
    Points
    38,801
    Level
    60
    Points: 38,801, Level: 60
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 249
    Overall activity: 50.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

    Ethnic group
    Makedonian original
    Country: Greece



    Quote Originally Posted by Pax Augusta View Post
    It's true, Pizza, as we know it today, was invented in Naples where it is documented at least since 1700. And in Italy it is commonly accepted that Naples is the home of Pizza.

    Then perhaps similar dishes are older, but they are not like today's pizza with tomato, mozzarella and everything else.

    The word "pizza" according to some documents is attested for the first time in Gaeta in the Year 997, so 1000 years ago. But it is very unlikely that it is like today's pizza. And anyway Gaeta, which is today in the Lazio region, has been always historically part of the Kingdom of Naples, and was in the region of Campania until 1927. In any case it is part of the history of Naples.

    pizza word comes from antique
    Pizza is Italian invasion
    but word comes from ancient πικτη picte
    wich turns to Greek Pitta Italian Pizza Pontic Greek Pissia
    gerenally it is the transform of the Picte mass to a flat surface

    ΟΘΕΝ ΑΙΔΩΣ OY EINAI
    ΑΤΗ ΛΑΜΒΑΝΕΙΝ ΑΥΤΟΙΣ
    ΥΒΡΙΣ ΓΕΝΝΑΤΑΙ
    ΝΕΜΕΣΙΣ ΚΑΙ ΤΙΣΗ ΑΚΟΛΟΥΘΟΥΣΙ ΔΕ

    When there is no shame
    Divine blindness conquers them
    Hybris (abuse, opprombium) is born
    Nemesis and punishment follows.

    Εχε υπομονη Ηρωα
    Η τιμωρια δεν αργει.

  9. #9
    Moderator Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsThree Friends
    Pax Augusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-06-14
    Posts
    974
    Points
    17,939
    Level
    40
    Points: 17,939, Level: 40
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Overall activity: 30.0%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: Italy



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yetos View Post
    pizza word comes from antique
    Pizza is Italian invasion
    but word comes from ancient πικτη picte
    wich turns to Greek Pitta Italian Pizza Pontic Greek Pissia
    gerenally it the transform of the Picte mass to a flat surface
    It's possible that the word pizza comes from the Byzantine Greek πίτα, Gaeta and Naples were under the Byzantine rule for many years. But the recipe is another thing.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Salento's Avatar
    Join Date
    30-05-17
    Posts
    2,375
    Points
    18,214
    Level
    41
    Points: 18,214, Level: 41
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 736
    Overall activity: 99.3%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    Neapolitan are Great Cooks/Chefs.
    They also have a huge ego. They think that they make the best of everything, including espresso, and they are not shy to judge how much others don’t now what they are doing.
    I guess it’s Ok. They are very good.
    But you oh Messapo, Tamer of Horses ... that no one, with neither iron nor fire can break down! “Virgil”

  11. #11
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    14,759
    Points
    243,081
    Level
    100
    Points: 243,081, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    All Italians have a huge ego and think their area is the best, makes the best whatever. :)

    With the Neapolitans they have some justification.

    They're not the only masters of cooking in Italy, however. I'd put Emilia-Romagna way up there too. :)

    Both areas also have wonderful music. I think it's just chance, but who knows?

    In terms of the food, it's probably again the availability of good ingredients.

    I won't name names, so to speak, because Italians are touchy about things like this, but I think the food is pretty poor in a few areas. Well, relatively speaking, and in comparison to other ITALIAN areas, not Europe wide.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Salento's Avatar
    Join Date
    30-05-17
    Posts
    2,375
    Points
    18,214
    Level
    41
    Points: 18,214, Level: 41
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 736
    Overall activity: 99.3%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    Best Pizza in Italy

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    All Italians have a huge ego and think their area is the best, makes the best whatever. :)

    With the Neapolitans they have some justification.

    They're not the only masters of cooking in Italy, however. I'd put Emilia-Romagna way up there too. :)

    Both areas also have wonderful music. I think it's just chance, but who knows?

    In terms of the food, it's probably again the availability of good ingredients.

    I won't name names, so to speak, because Italians are touchy about things like this, but I think the food is pretty poor in a few areas. Well, relatively speaking, and in comparison to other ITALIAN areas, not Europe wide.
    Pride and Ego complete each other.
    The Pres.... said this:
    'Show me someone without an ego, and I'll show you a loser .'
    and the new Pope said:
    ‘Who am I to judge?’
    and I say:
    You are the Pope. You are the Shepard and I’m the Sheep. Guide me Pope. If you can’t do that, than this Pope stuff is not for you.
    Went off topic, I know. sorry.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Yetos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-10-11
    Location
    Makedonia
    Posts
    5,159
    Points
    38,801
    Level
    60
    Points: 38,801, Level: 60
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 249
    Overall activity: 50.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

    Ethnic group
    Makedonian original
    Country: Greece



    Napolitana?

    Margarita anyone?

    capriciossa?

    anchovies? Yummie
    as long the anchovies are good quality,
    and 'cleaned' good

    No I don't like 4 cheese, carbonara, and generally milk cream pizza's

  14. #14
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Salento's Avatar
    Join Date
    30-05-17
    Posts
    2,375
    Points
    18,214
    Level
    41
    Points: 18,214, Level: 41
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 736
    Overall activity: 99.3%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    Best Pizza in Italy

    Quote Originally Posted by Yetos View Post
    Napolitana?

    Margarita anyone?

    capriciossa?

    anchovies? Yummie
    as long the anchovies are good quality,
    and 'cleaned' good

    No I don't like 4 cheese, carbonara, and generally milk cream pizza's
    Pizza with Anchovies is complimented by Capers and a mix of green and black Olives, Oregano, and a a few drops of extra vergine Olive Oil, I think.
    Pizza Carbonara? ..... thinking. :)

  15. #15
    Regular Member Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Yetos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-10-11
    Location
    Makedonia
    Posts
    5,159
    Points
    38,801
    Level
    60
    Points: 38,801, Level: 60
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 249
    Overall activity: 50.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

    Ethnic group
    Makedonian original
    Country: Greece



    Quote Originally Posted by Salento View Post
    Pizza with Anchovies is complimented by Capers and a mix of green and black Olives, Oregano, and a a few drops of extra vergine Olive Oil, I think.
    Pizza Carbonara? ..... thinking. :)

    I think parsley or caparis,

    Carbonara is a white pizza,
    milk cream, mushrooms, watercress

  16. #16
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Salento's Avatar
    Join Date
    30-05-17
    Posts
    2,375
    Points
    18,214
    Level
    41
    Points: 18,214, Level: 41
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 736
    Overall activity: 99.3%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Yetos View Post
    I think parsley or caparis,

    Carbonara is a white pizza,
    milk cream, mushrooms, watercress
    Spaghetti Carbonara: eggs (or some strangely use egg yolk and cream), pancetta, parmigiano, pepper, No Mushrooms.

  17. #17
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    14,759
    Points
    243,081
    Level
    100
    Points: 243,081, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    Quote Originally Posted by Salento View Post
    Spaghetti Carbonara: eggs (or some strangely use egg yolk and cream), pancetta, parmigiano, pepper, No Mushrooms.
    Pecorino, no?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW32zYZs2UQ

  18. #18
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    14,759
    Points
    243,081
    Level
    100
    Points: 243,081, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    It's really salty, but really good.


  19. #19
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Salento's Avatar
    Join Date
    30-05-17
    Posts
    2,375
    Points
    18,214
    Level
    41
    Points: 18,214, Level: 41
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 736
    Overall activity: 99.3%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    It's really salty, but really good.

    It’s missing the green olives. lol
    Delicious.

  20. #20
    Regular Member Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Yetos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-10-11
    Location
    Makedonia
    Posts
    5,159
    Points
    38,801
    Level
    60
    Points: 38,801, Level: 60
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 249
    Overall activity: 50.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

    Ethnic group
    Makedonian original
    Country: Greece



    ok can i have one with anchovies,
    no olives plz
    just sauce, cheese, oil, parsley, capparis.

    (Am I turning mad? 4:30 morning I have apettite for anchouyia pizza! not even pregnant women do such, )
    I go to sleep.

    @ Salento
    you seem a pizza master.

    have you tried with spinach pelte, dried fish or sardines/anchovies, smashed eggs for crusta?

    as for olives, try the Greek way
    sauce onion flavoured, feta cheese, olives, oil, oregano, tomatoe slices if you want

  21. #21
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Salento's Avatar
    Join Date
    30-05-17
    Posts
    2,375
    Points
    18,214
    Level
    41
    Points: 18,214, Level: 41
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 736
    Overall activity: 99.3%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Yetos View Post
    ok can i have one with anchovies,
    no olives plz
    just sauce, cheese, oil, parsley, capparis.

    (Am I turning mad? 4:30 morning I have apettite for anchouyia pizza! not even pregnant women do such, )
    I go to sleep.

    @ Salento
    you seem a pizza master.

    have you tried with spinach pelte, dried fish or sardines/anchovies, smashed eggs for crusta?
    My uncle owned a Pizza Restaurant in Italy, I worked there many of my summer vacations when I was a Kid.

  22. #22
    Princess Achievements:
    Overdrive10000 Experience PointsVeteranThree Friends
    davef's Avatar
    Join Date
    19-06-16
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,189
    Points
    10,310
    Level
    30
    Points: 10,310, Level: 30
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 240
    Overall activity: 23.0%


    Ethnic group
    Italian, Irish, Jewish
    Country: USA - New York



    Quote Originally Posted by Yetos View Post
    ok can i have one with anchovies,
    no olives plz
    just sauce, cheese, oil, parsley, capparis.

    (Am I turning mad? 4:30 morning I have apettite for anchouyia pizza! not even pregnant women do such, )
    I go to sleep.

    @ Salento
    you seem a pizza master.

    have you tried with spinach pelte, dried fish or sardines/anchovies, smashed eggs for crusta?

    as for olives, try the Greek way
    sauce onion flavoured, feta cheese, olives, oil, oregano, tomatoe slices if you want
    Yes, young grashoppah, Salento is teh gr8 Pizza Sensei!

    Salento, I would like 2 slices of extra cheese and hot peppers, and 2 more slices of meatball and onions, do you deliver? Lol! I'll cover us, Yetos.
    mmmmmmmmmm doughnuuuuutz

  23. #23
    Princess Achievements:
    Overdrive10000 Experience PointsVeteranThree Friends
    davef's Avatar
    Join Date
    19-06-16
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,189
    Points
    10,310
    Level
    30
    Points: 10,310, Level: 30
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 240
    Overall activity: 23.0%


    Ethnic group
    Italian, Irish, Jewish
    Country: USA - New York



    OH WAIT forgot the BEER forgot the BEER! Add 3 bottles of Sam Adams please!

  24. #24
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Salento's Avatar
    Join Date
    30-05-17
    Posts
    2,375
    Points
    18,214
    Level
    41
    Points: 18,214, Level: 41
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 736
    Overall activity: 99.3%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    Best Pizza in Italy

    Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    OH WAIT forgot the BEER forgot the BEER! Add 3 bottles of Sam Adams please!
    I think you had enough alcohol tonight.
    I won’t deliver you the beer. lol

  25. #25
    Princess Achievements:
    Overdrive10000 Experience PointsVeteranThree Friends
    davef's Avatar
    Join Date
    19-06-16
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,189
    Points
    10,310
    Level
    30
    Points: 10,310, Level: 30
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 240
    Overall activity: 23.0%


    Ethnic group
    Italian, Irish, Jewish
    Country: USA - New York



    Quote Originally Posted by Salento View Post
    I think you had enough alcohol tonight.
    I won’t deliver you the beer. lol
    Ok but I'm not that far from Connecticut, are you in Litchfield or Fairfield County (Fairfield has all that money and wealth, place ain't cheap)

    lol don't answer, I respect your privacy :)

    I'll stop posting tonight, gotta lay down, good night everyone

    ps I'm very sorry for being off topic, im nice/cool and don't mean any harm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •