Advisor
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-PF7566 (R-Y227216)
mtDNA haplogroup
H6a1b7
(ANSA) - Naples, March 23 - Major new finds have been unveiled for Friday's 270th anniversary of the discovery of the first remains of the ancient city of Pompeii buried by ash and rock following the eruption of Vesuvius in 79 AD.

The local archaeological authorities have marked the occasion by presenting major new excavations in the Regio V area launched under the auspices of the ongoing conservation project Great Pompeii. "Our aim was to resolve the instability of the excavation fronts in this area, which had a history of collapses," said special superintendent for Pompeii Massimo Osanna. "The work involved the reshaping of this part of the archaeological site. Then when we started digging we found remains of public and private areas, gardens and porticoes that we did not think we would find. It is the most important dig in the post-war period," he continued.

"And, for the first time as academics, we have come across objects, plasterwork and frescoes that have never been restored, that are in their original shape and colour without having been tampered with in past restoration. Now we also have the opportunity to carry out conservation work using the most advanced techniques, materials and experiences," Osanna added. The work is expected to take two years at a total cost of 8.5 million euros and the area will remain open to visitors for the duration.

Archaeologists have already identified an open area that they believe was a garden whose function will be better investigated through palaeobotanical analysis. The south-eastern corner of the 'garden' has already revealed several amphorae, whose type and contents are now being studied.

Nearby the street that ran alongside the House of the Silver Wedding is coming to light with its raised pavements and the entrances to the buildings along it. These include the entrance to a domus with frescoed walls and panels against a red background with the painted image of a pair of dolphin at the centre. Meanwhile, the director-general of the Great Pompeii Project, Mauro Cipolletta, confirmed plans to bring high-speed railway services directly to the site. "The project hasn't been shelved but it needs to be studied in depth, together with the elimination of the coastal railway line that currently separates to area from the sea," Cipolletta said.

http://www.ansa.it/english/news/lif...ion_31d87381-3bc9-4c95-bf1c-5ad91659775f.html

(ANSA) - Naples, March 23 - Major new finds have been unveiled for Friday's 270th anniversary of the discovery of the first remains of the ancient city of Pompeii buried by ash and rock following the eruption of Vesuvius in 79 AD.

The local archaeological authorities have marked the occasion by presenting major new excavations in the Regio V area launched under the auspices of the ongoing conservation project Great Pompeii. "Our aim was to resolve the instability of the excavation fronts in this area, which had a history of collapses," said special superintendent for Pompeii Massimo Osanna. "The work involved the reshaping of this part of the archaeological site. Then when we started digging we found remains of public and private areas, gardens and porticoes that we did not think we would find. It is the most important dig in the post-war period," he continued.

"And, for the first time as academics, we have come across objects, plasterwork and frescoes that have never been restored, that are in their original shape and colour without having been tampered with in past restoration. Now we also have the opportunity to carry out conservation work using the most advanced techniques, materials and experiences," Osanna added. The work is expected to take two years at a total cost of 8.5 million euros and the area will remain open to visitors for the duration.

Archaeologists have already identified an open area that they believe was a garden whose function will be better investigated through palaeobotanical analysis. The south-eastern corner of the 'garden' has already revealed several amphorae, whose type and contents are now being studied.

Nearby the street that ran alongside the House of the Silver Wedding is coming to light with its raised pavements and the entrances to the buildings along it. These include the entrance to a domus with frescoed walls and panels against a red background with the painted image of a pair of dolphin at the centre. Meanwhile, the director-general of the Great Pompeii Project, Mauro Cipolletta, confirmed plans to bring high-speed railway services directly to the site. "The project hasn't been shelved but it needs to be studied in depth, together with the elimination of the coastal railway line that currently separates to area from the sea," Cipolletta said.

http://www.ansa.it/english/news/lif...ion_31d87381-3bc9-4c95-bf1c-5ad91659775f.html

Gosh, I don't know if that's such a good idea. There are hordes there already, hordes who contribute to its deterioration.

Some idiot just recently damaged a mosaic because he moved the tiles to get a better picture! In some countries he would have been fined and/or put in jail. We're too soft in a lot of ways.

https://www.thelocal.it/20180323/american-tourist-police-mosaic-pompeii

Gosh, I don't know if that's such a good idea. There are hordes there already, hordes who contribute to its deterioration.

Some idiot just recently damaged a mosaic because he moved the tiles to get a better picture! In some countries he would have been fined and/or put in jail. We're too soft in a lot of ways.

https://www.thelocal.it/20180323/american-tourist-police-mosaic-pompeii

That's very infuriating, what a moron! If I had my way, I'd give him both a fine and jail time for that. It can't be replaced.

Does anyone else see the logic bomb in this quote?

"The man said he had moved the tiles accidentally in an attempt to get a good photograph of the site on Wednesday."

edit: nevermind, i continued reading the article and he did it accidentally as opposed to being a bad liar. The title made it sound intentional and the quote above was the first paragraph (which I saw right before making this post).

my bad!

You don't go climbing onto priceless mosaics, or topple them over so you can get your stupid, amateur photograph. He's an idiot, and he should have been fined and maybe put in jail for a day or two. Most of the people who go through there are idiots who have no respect for the place or the history or the art. Period.

Eugenics please.

You don't go climbing onto priceless mosaics, or topple them over so you can get your stupid, amateur photograph. He's an idiot, and he should have been fined and maybe put in jail for a day or two. Most of the people who go through there are idiots who have no respect for the place or the history or the art. Period.

Just recently an American tourist was arrested for urinating in the Loggia dei Lanzi in Firenze! I only wish I were the one sentencing him. Vandals!

loggia-dei-lanzi.jpg

Il-Ratto-delle-Sabine-del-Giambologna-Loggia-della-Signoria-o-Loggia-dei-Lanzi-Piazza-della-Signoria-Firenze-Italia.-Author-and-Copyright-Marco-Ramerini.jpg

I know all the arguments for leaving the artwork in the places for which it was intended, but they removed the David, and I think in this era of mass tourism they should reconsider and move these indoors to more protected locations.

For the same reason I can't believe the Pieta, after the outrage committed on her, is still sitting out there perfectly accessible.

This will all get much worse. We haven’t even begun to see true vandalism. If history weren’t filled with more destroyers than builders, we’d have inherited much more.

This thread has been viewed 4633 times.

Back