Sumerians and Native Americans could be related?

XipeTotek

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Turkish,Albanian
Sumerians, Native Americans and Turks could be related?

i see on the web, sumerian and turkic languages have so many similar words

and in the science siberian turkic peoples and native americans are related with q hablogroup (have so many similarities about languages, cultures, life style, grammar and also words)

i did look at about the ziggurats and mayan pyramides are looking similar to me.

if thats all real, sumerian/turkic/native american peoples could be same ancestor(q hablogroup) and they languages are come from common language?

and there is one theory about lost continent mu on the pacific ocean sumerians/mayans have a myth like that ; flood myth

i think sumerians/turkic/native americans come from same ancestors and language

Sumerian - Turkic similar words.

View attachment 9906

View attachment 9908

View attachment 9907

you can see sumerian words and language from that pages ;

http://www.bulgari-istoria-2010.com/Rechnici/Sumerian_Dictionary.pdf

http://history-world.org/sumerianwords2.htm

Last edited:
I really doubt the supposed Sumerian-Turkic cognates are more than random coincidences and wishful thinking. Even if such connection existed, it would've been so, so long ago (considering that the first Sumerian texts are from as early as ~3,000 BC, and it was already a completely distinct and unique language by then) that any directly similar words would be not only extremely rare and unlikely, but also probably an indication that there is nothing but random coincidence, because languages that are really connected on a very distant scale - say, 8,000 years ago - have gone through such profound phonetic and morphological changes that true cognates will never be that obvious that they can be identified by sheer similarity between two words of so distantly related languages.

Also, the Q haplogroup - we don't even know if Sumerians had any appreciable amount of this haplogroup, but honestly I wouldn't bet on it - is at least 17,000 years ago, more probably before 20,000 years ago. It is extremely unlikely, almost 0% chance, that two languages connected just because they share the same haplogroup Q would've still look similar several milennia later (what specific clades of Q by the way, how are those clades related to each other? Do we know that? Native Americans, according to genetic studies, were already separated from other Northeast Asians at least 18,000 years ago in Beringia, and by 15,000 years ago had migrated to Americas with no ticket back home).

Finally, I honestly think it is extremely misguided to derive a whole hypothesis about common source by finding similar roots comparing a language from ~2,300 BC with a language from ~500-1000 CE, with a tremendous gap of more than 3,000 years of phonetic evolution between them. It is not only possible but probable that the ancestor of Common Turkic sounded extremely different when Sumerian was still being spoken.

I really doubt the supposed Sumerian-Turkic cognates are more than random coincidences and wishful thinking. Even if such connection existed, it would've been so, so long ago (considering that the first Sumerian texts are from as early as ~3,000 BC, and it was already a completely distinct and unique language by then) that any directly similar words would be not only extremely rare and unlikely, but also probably an indication that there is nothing but random coincidence, because languages that are really connected on a very distant scale - say, 8,000 years ago - have gone through such profound phonetic and morphological changes that true cognates will never be that obvious that they can be identified by sheer similarity between two words of so distantly related languages. Also, the Q haplogroup - we don't even know if Sumerians had any appreciable amount of this haplogroup, but honestly I wouldn't bet on it - is at least 17,000 years ago, more probably before 20,000 years ago. It is extremely unlikely, almost 0% chance, that two languages connected just because they share the same haplogroup Q would've still look similar several milennia later (what specific clades of Q by the way, how are those clades related to each other? Do we know that? Native Americans, according to genetic studies, were already separated from other Northeast Asians at least 18,000 years ago in Beringia, and by 15,000 years ago had migrated to Americas with no ticket back home). Finally, I honestly think it is extremely misguided to derive a whole hypothesis about common source by finding similar roots comparing a language from ~2,300 BC with a language from ~500-1000 CE, with a tremendous gap of more than 3,000 years of phonetic evolution between them. It is not only possible but probable that the ancestor of Common Turkic sounded extremely different when Sumerian was still being spoken.

Yes there is have more more connection with language.

you can't explain this words with
coincidence.
also grammar so similar.

Sumerian - Turkic similar words.

9ec92bf44c5bf5f0da4a92738f6b71a8.png

5d84ab9377d99b795eb06788c1c1c5fb.png

bc57588e29a7bd91286f374793550dfc.png

and they all basic important words. Sumerian language is more close to Turkic language now on the earth.

also native american languages connected with similarity to turkic - sumerian languages.

Many of the most interesting discoveries are made when we explore what is perceived as the outrageous. I think it is important to stay grounded until you have a more solid basis. Perhaps Sumerians have some common roots with some of the groups composite of Native Americans, it’s an intriguing notion. I think it’s also important for you to get particular with your subclades, as suggested above by Ygorcs. Also, don’t get bogged down with Q, find common trace haplogroups... you know, when more results on Sumerian Y DNA come out.

BTW, could we get a source for what you copied and pasted here? Nevermind... you edited.

When dealing with language, I’m partial to wave theory versus pure tree theory. Languages near one another with interacting cultures influence each other greatly.

Many of the most interesting discoveries are made when we explore what is perceived as the outrageous. I think it is important to stay grounded until you have a more solid basis. Perhaps Sumerians have some common roots with some of the groups composite of Native Americans, it’s an intriguing notion. I think it’s also important for you to get particular with your subclades, as suggested above by Ygorcs. Also, don’t get bogged down with Q, find common trace haplogroups... you know, when more results on Sumerian Y DNA comes out.

BTW, could we get a source for what you copied and pasted here? Nevermind... you edited.

http://history-world.org/sumerianwords2.htm

http://www.bulgari-istoria-2010.com/Rechnici/Sumerian_Dictionary.pdf

you can see on this pages about sumerian language and words.

i can't believe and explain sumerian language affect to native american languages and cultures. (so far away area) it is not possible.

i but i can explain with they come from same language ancestors and central asia or siberia.

https://www.rbth.com/science_and_te...ve-americans-and-siberians-are-cousins_569517

and they are basic words similar to turkish like a father(ata) or god (dingir and tengri)

Native American languages and Turkish similarity

Keçua dili ile Türkçe arasındaki benzerliklerin bazıları (ilk yazan Keçua, ikincisi Türkçe):

* tuka - tükürmek

* paku - bak

* khapao - kaba

* ipa - abla

* ku - koy

* kaşa - kış

* kuli - kül

* kalı - kalın

* karwın - karın

* kasa - kes

* tawga - dağ

* takhıla - dağıl

* khipu - ip

* çur - dur

* as - az

* tak - ta ki

* la - ile

* mi? - mi?

* biri - bir

* tawa - dört (Çuvaş Türkçesi'nde tavat)

* pis - beş

* halta - altı

* khawa - kör

* kiwi - kir

* ata, atea, hataa - ata

* ata cama - ata mezarlığı

Diğer Kuzey Amerika dilleri ile Türkçe arasındaki benzerliklerden bazıları:

Miwok Kızılderilileri'nde "kuççi" - Türkçe'de "küçük"

Bir başka Kızılderili boyunda "kiçeeç" - Türkçe'de "küçük"

Arawak Kızılderilileri'nde "çakira" - Türkçe'de "çakır"

Bir başka Kızılderili boyunda ; "tos, uçun, yangi, kis" - Türkçe'de "toz, için, yeni, kız"

Maya dilinde "kin" - Türkçe'de "gün" (Eski Türkçe'de kün")

Birçok Kızılderili boyunda "kan" - Türkçe'de "han"

Terrawa Kızılderilileri'nde "ut", Allentiac Kızılderilileri'nde "uya", Lule Kızılderilileri'nde "utara" Aymara Kızılderilileri'nde "utah" - Türkçe'de "otağ, yuva, ev"

Güney Amerika Kızılderili boylarında "kayak" - Türkçe'de "kayık"

Aztekler'de "kuuş" - Türkçe'de "kuş"

Mayalar'da "ku" - Türkçe'de "kut"

Aztekler'de "it zcu inTLi" - Türkçe'de "it"

Kwaiute Kızılderilileri'nde "ghaz" - Türkçe'de "gez"

Bir başka Kızılderili boyunda "tano" - Türkçe'de "cehennem" (Eski Türkçe'de tamu)

Aztek ve Maya Kızılderilileri'nde "aıtıl" - Türkçe'de "nehir" (Eski Türkçe'de "ıtıl, itil)

Meksika, Guatemala ve Venezuella yörelerindeki Kızılderililer'de "tepe, satsi" - Türkçe'de "tepe, ses"

Bir başka Kızılderili boyunda "yaotl" - Türkçe'de "düşman" (Eski Türkçe'de yağı)

Bir başka Kızılderili boyunda "atlatl" - Türkçe'de "atılan mızrak"

Sioux Dakota (native american): english: turk language:
icu drink ich, ichmek
Kan blood Kan
baha grandfather Baba
Ik two iki
Baskin attacking baskinci

Maya: english: turks:
Yash new,green yash, yashel
Ich inside ich
Kosh bird kush
Aak white ak
Chachak very nice chichek (flowers)
Bin I ben, men, min
Chalan snake ilan, chalan ilan
Ba fish balik
Tur stop dur
Q'anil blood kan
Yaklel burn Yak
Tas bring tashu (rus. Таскать)
Baldiz The younger sister of his wife - Baldiz
Bil know bil
Boya paint boya

Quechuan languages: english: turks:
Ogri thief ogru
Ucuk tiny kucuk
Acikya explain aciklamaq
Kok sky gok
Tata, tayta father ata
Sunqa beard sukal, sakkal
Na something Ne
As little az
Ari thin ariq
Qo drive out qovmak
Pak look bak
Qhacun daughter-in-law, sister-in-law - xatun

we can see clearly with Turkic/Native Americans connected with genetic and also language but Sumerians? and this is a reality sumerian language more closely to turkish/native american languages. but need more evidence for acceptful.

Sumerian is that “up for grabs” isolate... I have heard it being connected to Basque, Etruscan, Uralic etc. Languages change with interaction due to the trade of tools/products/ideas, with these exchanges genetic material most certainly. I have no doubt that Sumerians and some Native American ancestor groups have some common ancestry regardless of any further discoveries since Native Americans were a composite of a sequence of migrations from Central Eurasia. I’m afraid you would need to connect Sumerian directly to a Native American language because Turkic (or some proto-Turkic or other precursor) could theoretically inform some Native American words and some Sumerian words with no other direct connection.

you can also write to youtube for other sumerian songs

Sumerian is that “up for grabs” isolate... I have heard it being connected to Basque, Etruscan, Uralic etc. Languages change with interaction due to the trade of tools/products/ideas, with these exchanges genetic material most certainly. I have no doubt that Sumerians and some Native American ancestor groups have some common ancestry regardless of any further discoveries since Native Americans were a composite of a sequence of migrations from Central Eurasia. I’m afraid you would need to connect Sumerian directly to a Native American language because Turkic (or some proto-Turkic or other precursor) could theoretically inform some Native American words and some Sumerian words with no other direct connection.

yes Mr Mark i know about sumerian language have similarity with Basque, Etruscan, Uralic languages. also we believe etruscan peoples come from central asia and turkic peoples. (have so much similiarity about myths like a romulus myth and ergenekon myth ) and some scientists are accept sumerian language for the altaic or turkic language family. (but someones dont accept for not enough evidence.)

and there is a reality sumerian language more connected to turkic languages than all languages of the world. you can search about it.

https://www.politicsforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37380

http://www.macrothink.org/journal/index.php/ijl/article/viewFile/4107/pdf_31

https://www.quora.com/What-currentl...-roots-or-is-most-closely-related-to-Sumerian

It’s certainly likely Sumerian informed words in Turkic/proto-Turkic languages but, like I said, I reject the pure tree linguistic model with influences for a wave model with trees following invasions.

Frankly, why the hell do you create topics asking questions if you already think you know all the answers and are already sure about the things that you asked? This is a waste of time for us and an illogical reaction on your part, since you seem to be angry just because people didn't answer exactly what you wanted.

It’s certainly likely Sumerian informed words in Turkic/proto-Turkic languages but, like I said, I reject the pure tree linguistic model with influences for a wave model with trees following invasions.

there is must be a big wave for effect to america from messopotamia :)

there is must be a big wave for effect to america from messopotamia :)

HAHAH yeah, that would be an impressive wave, yes. The kind of wave invasion events are made of.

Frankly, why the hell do you create topics asking questions if you already think you know all the answers and are already sure about the things that you asked? This is a waste of time for us and an illogical reaction on your part, since you seem to be angry just because people didn't answer exactly what you wanted.

i wanna a explain for basic sumerian words some with turkish and native american languages.

i explain with this turkic/native americans/sumerians come from same ancestors and proto languages clearly.

but you guys says me cultural or waving effects. but you cant explain with waving language effect to native american,turkic and sumerian language similarity. they go to america 15.000 years ago.

and yes maybe central asia/siberia is a bridge from iraq to america with nomadic turks

i believe in the soon turkic/altaic language family have added new cousins sumerians/native americans

It would be interesting to know the exact translation of the Sumerian word and of the Turkic word side by side in order to make any assessment of this hypothesis. Withou that it only looks like a bunch of words that sound more or less similar and were compiled. We can say nothing based on that, especially if those words end up not being part of the core basic lexicon or if the languages that are being compared are several thousands of years apart from each other and geographically distant from each other, but still the words sound way too similar for their really ancient connection to be definitely true.

Comparing Sumerian with modern Turkic languages would be more or less like comparing Proto-Indo-European and English. There will be a sizeable number of similar words, but the vast majority of the REAL - not false - cognates will sound extremely different from each other, because of the milennia of linguistic change separating those languages, and it is anachronistic to compare the two languages and expect, if they are truly connected, to find very similar words. For example, "hill" is connected to reconstructed PIE *kolhn- or possibly *kolhnis, not exactly a very similar word, and in fact you should not expect to find similarities between English and PIE (or Turkic and Sumerian) by finding some word in PIE that looks roughly like *hil-. That's not the right way to deduce the true connections (or lack thereof) between two totally distinct languages that, even worse, were spoken in completely different timeframes. And in the Sumerian-Turkic case that kind of comparison-by-similarity would even more futile, because English at least descends from PIE, while the proposal here is just that Sumerian and Turkic both descend from a common source even earlier, that is, the relationship between them is indirect, not immediate (and Sumerian is already very old, 5,000 years old!).

It's actually the opposite according to professional linguists: if the languages are supposed to be only very distantly related, with a genetic connection thousands of years ago (in the case of haplogroup Q, more than 20,000 years ago!), then the fact that the apparently cognate words sound too similar to each other is not an evidence for that hypothesis, but actually an evidence against it and a sign that something must be wrong. True cognates, when languages are milennia apart, are usually very distinct due to successive phonetic and morphological changes, and we only notice they are cognates because after analyzing dozens or hundreds of words we start to notice similar patterns of change and are able to deduce, therefore, some sound rules.

That's not what these Sumerian-Turkic mass comparisons do. They just look for words that sound virtually the same, and that is not just not helpful, but even a drawback to this hypothesis, because it is extremely unlikely that Sumerian and Turkic would be descended from a common source more than 10,000 years ago and still be extremely similar to each other. Just look at how different English, Armenian and Russian sound, and they've been diverging from their common source for "merely" 4,500-5,000 years. I don't think it is impossible that Sumerians and Turks had at least partially a common origin (because both peoples have mixed a lot with other ethnic groups along the milennia), but I really doubt their languages would still be anywhere close to "similar" when they had been diverging from their common source since before the Neolithic era. Not even languages dating to the Bronze Age remain so similar.

Ata and ama for father and mother respectively, or some similar form, is an extremely common and almost universal pattern everywhere, so I wouldn't think too much about that. Even in PIE language, certainly not related to Turkic or Sumerian, there seemed to have been an affectionate, more informal term for father and mother more or less like ata and ama. The [t] and [m] or [n] sounds are associated with fathers and mothers across completely unrelated languages in all the continents, so it seems to have some onomatopoeic connection with the usual "baby-talk" that mothers and fathers have with their small children. That's the best explanation for why languages that have nothing to do with each other in almost any word, grammar or morphology, often have some variation of ma- or am- and at- or ta-.

Ata and ama for father and mother respectively, or some similar form, is an extremely common and almost universal pattern everywhere, so I wouldn't think too much about that. Even in PIE language, certainly not related to Turkic or Sumerian, there seemed to have been an affectionate, more informal term for father and mother more or less like ata and ama. The [t] and [m] or [n] sounds are associated with fathers and mothers across completely unrelated languages in all the continents, so it seems to have some onomatopoeic connection with the usual "baby-talk" that mothers and fathers have with their small children. That's the best explanation for why languages that have nothing to do with each other in almost any word, grammar or morphology, often have some variation of ma- or am- and at- or ta-.

you can see other words from this page
http://s155239215.onlinehome.us/turkic/42TurkicAndSumer/EnglishSumerTurkDictionaryRu.htm

not only few words. clearly 160 words are similar and some are common meaning and they are basic words. (most important main words.)

and sumerians say for themself KİENGIR kengir is a old turkic tribe with same name.

there is a common words for basic important for me.

Firstly i can find a common similar word with sumerian / turkic / native american languages this is

Sumerian, Turkish, Native American(Quechuan) Common Words

Ada, Ata, Ata (father)

Suhur, Sig - Sukal, Sakal, Kıl - Sunga (beard)

and there is a word meaning God in the sumerian word ilu, also ilu in native americans have a big spirit that name is ulu manitu ( also ulu meaning is same with turkish is big, ulu manitu is great spirit or god)

Sumerian, Turkish

men (ben) (I)

zae (sen) sen (YOU)
di (konuşmak) ti- (demek) (SAY)
dingir (tanrı) tengri (tanrı) (GOD)
Ada = ata (Father)
Ama = Ana (Mother)
Ere = Er (Man)
Shuba,Shupan = Chupan (Sheepman)
Av = Ev (House)
Tak = Tak (Put)

dug (dökmek) tök- (dökmek)
iduga
(parfüm)
yıdıg (koku)
kur (ülke) kuru (kara
kur (koruma) parçası, ykeorn)- (korumak)
nig (şey) neng (şey)
sag (iyi) sag (sağ,
tibira (metal) sağlam, ityemi) ir (demir)
ud (zaman) öd (zaman)
udi- (uyuma) udı- (uyumak)
uş (iş) ış/iş (iş)
zag (sağ taraf) sag (sağ taraf)
dib (bağ) yip/ip (ip)
tar (kesmek,
kırmak)
yar- (yarmak)
tir (ülke) yir (yer)
36 Ahmet B. ERCİLASUN
gaz (ezmek) ez- (ezmek)
gig (hasta olmak) ig (hastalık)
gud (öküz) ud (öküz)
giş (orman, ağaç) yış (orman)
gişig (kapı) eşik (kapı)
sig (iyi) yig (yeğ, iyi)
şeg (yağmur) yag- (yağmak)
şurim (yarım) yarım (yarım)
sag (küçük çocuk) çağa (çocuk)
sipad (çoban) çopan (çoban)

Kapkagak = Kapkaçak (water container)
Gadun ———— Hatun
Assinu ———– Asena
Gig-Anu ———- Göktanrı (Gök ana)
Tammuzi ——— Temmuz
Domuzi ———- Domız
Ginç ——— Genç
Auşk ——– — Aşk
Tar- kus-u ——– Talih kuşu
Ungar ———- Uygar
Altun ———– Altın
Anu ———- Ana
Tengiz———- Deniz
Gozam-Ozam —— Ozan
En-gur-ra ——— Ankara
Tamga ——— Damga
Me-en ———- Men-Ben
Agıl ———– Akıl
Bar ———– Var
Er-Eş ———— Erkek-Kadın
Rakibu ——- Rakip
Aga ————— Ağa
Balag-ba ——– Balaban
Kes-da ———— Kesmek
Bira ————- Bira
Tagga ———— Takke
Ge —————– Gel
ilig ———- ilik
Et —————– Et
Mum ————- Mum
Huma-kus-a ———– huma Kuşu
Sin ————- Sin(e)
Karra ———— Kara
Batu ———– Batı
Sar ———— Sar(ı)
Heak———- Hak
Mesu ———- Meşe
Engin ———– Engin
L-elvan-ı ————- Elvan
Nun ———— Un
Apa ———— Apa(ağabey)
Ambar———– Ambar
Gaazi ————- Gazi
Gid-de ———— Git-gide
Amelu ———— Amele
Zindan ————- Zindan
isum ———— Işık
iş-ti ———— işitmek
Uri ———— Arı
Kaskadu ———– Kaskatı
Arpu ———– Arpa
U-ru ——— Uyruk
U-ku ——— Uyku
Murad ——– Murat
Nusa ——– Neşe

and we have common proverbs

you can see with turkic and native language similar words

Keçua dili ile Türkçe arasındaki benzerliklerin bazıları (ilk yazan Keçua, ikincisi Türkçe):

* tuka - tükürmek

* paku - bak

* khapao - kaba

* ipa - abla

* ku - koy

* kaşa - kış

* kuli - kül

* kalı - kalın

* karwın - karın

* kasa - kes

* tawga - dağ

* takhıla - dağıl

* khipu - ip

* çur - dur

* as - az

* tak - ta ki

* la - ile

* mi? - mi?

* biri - bir

* tawa - dört (Çuvaş Türkçesi'nde tavat)

* pis - beş

* halta - altı

* khawa - kör

* kiwi - kir

* ata, atea, hataa - ata

* ata cama - ata mezarlığı

Diğer Kuzey Amerika dilleri ile Türkçe arasındaki benzerliklerden bazıları:

Miwok Kızılderilileri'nde "kuççi" - Türkçe'de "küçük"

Bir başka Kızılderili boyunda "kiçeeç" - Türkçe'de "küçük"

Arawak Kızılderilileri'nde "çakira" - Türkçe'de "çakır"

Bir başka Kızılderili boyunda ; "tos, uçun, yangi, kis" - Türkçe'de "toz, için, yeni, kız"

Maya dilinde "kin" - Türkçe'de "gün" (Eski Türkçe'de kün")

Birçok Kızılderili boyunda "kan" - Türkçe'de "han"

Terrawa Kızılderilileri'nde "ut", Allentiac Kızılderilileri'nde "uya", Lule Kızılderilileri'nde "utara" Aymara Kızılderilileri'nde "utah" - Türkçe'de "otağ, yuva, ev"

Güney Amerika Kızılderili boylarında "kayak" - Türkçe'de "kayık"

Aztekler'de "kuuş" - Türkçe'de "kuş"

Mayalar'da "ku" - Türkçe'de "kut"

Aztekler'de "it zcu inTLi" - Türkçe'de "it"

Kwaiute Kızılderilileri'nde "ghaz" - Türkçe'de "gez"

Bir başka Kızılderili boyunda "tano" - Türkçe'de "cehennem" (Eski Türkçe'de tamu)

Aztek ve Maya Kızılderilileri'nde "aıtıl" - Türkçe'de "nehir" (Eski Türkçe'de "ıtıl, itil)

Meksika, Guatemala ve Venezuella yörelerindeki Kızılderililer'de "tepe, satsi" - Türkçe'de "tepe, ses"

Bir başka Kızılderili boyunda "yaotl" - Türkçe'de "düşman" (Eski Türkçe'de yağı)

Bir başka Kızılderili boyunda "atlatl" - Türkçe'de "atılan mızrak"

Sioux Dakota (native american): english: turk language:
icu drink ich, ichmek
Kan blood Kan
baha grandfather Baba
Ik two iki
Baskin attacking baskinci

Maya: english: turks:
Yash new,green yash, yashel
Ich inside ich
Kosh bird kush
Aak white ak
Chachak very nice chichek (flowers)
Bin I ben, men, min
Chalan snake ilan, chalan ilan
Ba fish balik
Tur stop dur
Q'anil blood kan
Yaklel burn Yak
Tas bring tashu (rus. Таскать)
Baldiz The younger sister of his wife - Baldiz
Bil know bil
Boya paint boya

Quechuan languages: english: turks:
Ogri thief ogru
Ucuk tiny kucuk
Acikya explain aciklamaq
Kok sky gok
Tata, tayta father ata
Sunqa beard sukal, sakkal
Na something Ne
As little az
Ari thin ariq
Qo drive out qovmak
Pak look bak
Qhacun daughter-in-law, sister-in-law - xatun

and after all i can say native american similar words for turkic more than sumerian languages. native american migration 15.000 ago sumerians are 5.000 years ago. must be more similar words for turkic languages than native americans i agree. (and you know about turkish language, they are very different from to azerbaycan turkish. and i cant understand so many turkic central asian languages today.)

and sumerians mixed and relationship with other peoples and speakers. this is another factor

i think must be compare with native american languages and sumerians words(also grammar)

that could be open result for me

Last edited:
I refer back to my previous answer. Mass comparison of words - including some that frankly aren't core vocabulary of languages (e.g. paint, attack, beard) - based on sheer similarity, without regular sound rules, is simply inadequate especially when you're dealing with language families that are distinct and, even if their connection is true, have been separate from each other for many thousands of years. It is absolutely unlikely that after some 10,000 years the Sumerians and Turks would still name "man" or "I" almost exactly the same way.

Also, even if that happened, it should be first demonstrated that there is a consistent and repeating pattern in the sound rules of vowels, consonants and syllables that explain why those words remained to similar to each other and how and if those same patterns are repeated in several other words. For example, it should be explained why the [d] in "dur" corresponds to a [ç] in Quechua "çur", whereas the same [d] corresponds instead to a [t] in other Quechuan words (e.g. dag vs. tawga). Another issue is that initial in Turkic corresponds to in some Quechua words (biri, bir) and to [p] in others (e.g. pish, besh). And why final -in disappeared in Quechua "kali" (corresponding to Turkic "kalin"), but it is still there in "karwin" (corresponding to Turkic "karin")? Maybe those words aren't as similar in their overall phonetic evolution, thousands of years ago, as they look now.

Why that lack of systematic correspondences? That's a problem. Reconstructing relationships between two language families is not a simple search for words that are almost identical. Sometimes, as I said, the real proof of an actual connection comes when you find very different words that follow a consistent correspondence demonstrating their divergent evolution from one same source, for example English "heart" and Italian "cuore", both systematically going back to PIE *k'erd-.

Otherwise, yes, despite being all very intriguing and curious, we may be seeing just some random coincidences here. If we take any two languages in the world, we're bound to find at least 50 or 100 words that look fairly similar to each other even if they belong to completely different languages.

For example, "bad" in English means exactly the same as "bad" in Persian, but it has already been demonstrated that the two words have no relationship at all with each other, they just came from different origins and, due to the particular phonetic evolution of English and, separately, of Persian, those two words ended up sounding identical.

Yes, that happens between two languages more often than most people usually think. If we only mass-compare words and take those words that look similar, but completely ignore those that do not look similar, then of course it will seem like those languages are closely related. But still we didn't explain at all why those e.g. 100 words are almost identical to each other, suggesting two languages that are still recently linked to each other, yet other 2,000 or 3,000 words are totally unrelated, suggesting that there is no close link after all. That's a really problematic incongruence.

Overall, I think that, genetically and geographically, though not necessarily linguistically, there is a much higher probability of a very distant, virtually unreconstructible, connection between Turkic and Native American languages (not all, we aren't sure that the first Americans even spoke just one language). That would make sense, but still I really doubt there would be so closely related (similar) connections in the vocabulary of Turkic and Native American languages when they had split from each other at least 15,000 years ago. Even 5,000 years is enough to make languages diverge very much from each other, let alone 15,000. So, unless there is a coherent demonstration of sound correspondences and probable sound rule for the evolution of both language families, I think the striking similarities are more due to sheer coincidence or convergent evolution, not a proof of their common roots, especially if those connections are found in only 50-150 words but totally absent in other thousands and thousands of words.

you can also write to youtube for other sumerian songs

hOW DID THEY DECIPHER THE SUMERIANS MUSIC (tunes, not words)? some clue?

This thread has been viewed 57587 times.

Back