Stradioti.....their origin and history????

I open it....The history of the Stradioti fascinates me... want to learn more from
Reliable sources.....

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum
This is another interesting book:
Paolo Petta
Stradioti
Soldati albanesi in Italia (sec. XV-XIX)
Stradioti
Albanian soldiers in Italy (sec. XV-XIX)
PAOLO%2BPETTA.PNG

Per migliaia di anni il mestiere del soldato mercenario è stato, in tutto il mondo, un mestiere onorato, e popoli interi –alcuni poi arricchitisi, come gli svizzeri; altri rimasti poveri, come gli albanesi- lo hanno praticato, cercando in questo modo di trovare un loro spazio nel mondo dei ricchi. In Italia, migliaia di albanesi hanno seguito questa via, dal XV secolo (se non prima) fino al XIX: si tratta di una emigrazione tutta particolare, che soprattutto nel Rinascimento si impose all’attenzione di tutta l’Europa per le fortunate imprese degli “stradioti”, cavalieri audacissimi al servizio di Venezia, e poi di molti altri sovrani. Tra i discendenti di questi mercenari si troveranno, tra gli altri, un Papa e un rivoluzionario illustre, Antonio Gramsci.
Google translator:
For thousands of years the mercenary soldier's profession has been, all over the world, an honored profession, and entire peoples - some then enriched, like the Swiss; others who remained poor, like the Albanians, practiced it, seeking in this way to find their own space in the world of the rich. In Italy, thousands of Albanians have followed this path, from the fifteenth century (if not before) until the nineteenth century: it is a very special emigration, which especially in the Renaissance imposed itself on the attention of all Europe for the successful exploits of "Stradioti", audacious knights in the service of Venice, and then of many other sovereigns. Among the descendants of these mercenaries will be found, among others, a Pope and an illustrious revolutionary, Antonio Gramsci.

This is another interesting book:
Paolo Petta
Stradioti
Soldati albanesi in Italia (sec. XV-XIX)
Stradioti
Albanian soldiers in Italy (sec. XV-XIX)
PAOLO%2BPETTA.PNG

Google translator:

This one looks very interesting, and can read Italian as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

That is the the Flag of Mercury Bua from Μπου(γ)α from Boya
Given by Maxilian
bua.jpg

What do you see there?

Also Notice the Serbian

image.png

And The Byzantine
Βασιλευς Βασιλεων Βασιλευων Βασιλευοντων

4b_300.jpg

:D

What you try to imply is Albanians who were byzantine loyalists were not Albanians because they were "Romioi"i.e. dedicated to the Byzantine
system. This is a fake argument. There were albanians in the byzantine empire, get over it.

Here is Enver Hoxha:

000783_xgaplus.jpg

Maybe in 200 years some Russian nationalist will argue he wasn't Albanian he was a Communist Internationalist or even he was a Soviet Russian because
he was staunch supporter of Stalin and because he had USSR symbols and USSR flags at his congress :D

Enver Hoxha was nonetheless Albanian.

From the book of Paolo Petta:
Un cronista francese narra questo incredibile dialogo tra un capo dei Croati (probabilmente mussulmano) e Mercurio Bua, suo nemico personale, da lui fatto prigioniero nelle campagne padovane. Il croato aveva preteso di essere trattato secondo le leggi di guerra, offrendo quindi la sua “taglia” (ovvero una cifra per la sua libertà), ma l’albanese gli chiese “sulla sua fede” come si sarebbe comportato lui al suo posto.

Il Croato, sulla sua fede, non poté negare che lo avrebbe fatto a pezzi : “Ebbene” replicò Mercurio “io non farò nulla di peggio”. Ciò detto, comandò ai suoi albanesi, nella sua lingua, di lavorare di coltello, ed essi subito misero all’opera le loro scimitarre, e non ci fu capitano ne altri che non avesse dieci colpi dopo la sua morte; poi tagliarono loro le teste, che infilarono in cima alle loro stratiote, e dicevano che non erano cristiani”.
Google translation:
A French chronicler narrates this incredible dialogue between the chief of the Croats (probably Muslim) and Mercurio Bua, his personal enemy, which he captured in the Paduan countryside. The Croatian had claimed to be treated according to the laws of war, thus offering his "size" (ie a sum for his freedom), but the Albanian asked him "on his faith" as how he would have behaved in his place.

The Croat, on his faith, could not deny that he would have cut him to pieces: "Well," replied Mercury, "I will not do anything worse." Having said that, he commanded his Albanians, in his language, to work with the knife, and they immediately put their scimitars to work, and there was no captain or others who had not ten strokes after his death; then they cut off their heads, which they put on top of their layers, and said they were not Christians. "
There is another source that describe this event:
Bayard's Loyal Serviteur [p. 223] described a clash between stradiots and Croats in 1510. The stradiots of Mercurio Rona, allied with the French, fell in with a party of Venetian Croats near Monselice. The Albanians considered the Croats "more Turks than Christian" and captured and butchered them (an attitude that has apparently persisted in the region until today!).
They cut off their heads [with scimitars] and spiked them on the ends of their stradiots [javelins shod with iron at both ends], asserting that they were not Christians. These men wore a strange headdress, for it was like a maiden's hood. And in the place where they put the head, it was furnished with five or six thick pieces of paper glued together, so that a sword did no more harm to it than to a secrete [steel cap worn under the helmet].

oh Boy

The remannts of The Byzantine Empire
The Romioi of East Orthodox Church,
In the Service of Venice,
But no Alabnians were not Romioi :LOL: :LOL:

AND MOST OF THEM GREEKS, AND ARBANITES
FASCINATES THE ALBANIANS members, WOW for their Bravery?

AND THE CHERRY PIE.

LABERIA WILL YOU ALSO WRITE ABOUT THEM?

Palaiologos, Spandounios, Laskaris, Rhalles, Comnenos, Psendakis,
Maniatis, Spyliotis, Alexopoulos, Psaris, Zacharopoulos, Klirakopoulos, Kondomitis,

OR NOT BECAUSE THEY WERE GREEKS?

At least about the Montenegrins
or the rest Balkans

LABERIA PLZ WRITE ALSO ABOUT NON YENISSARIES SIPAHI,
ESPECIALLY the kapalki-Kapalku Garip ones.
the famous Ottoman Cavalry

I find interesting the story and the origin of Sipahi forces.

OK

I ASK WHY THIS THREAD IS OPEN?
THE REASON AND THE PURPOSE,
Cause I think there is something Behind,
Isn't it the same with everything for you, Yetos? I bet it is Soros behind, lol.
What behind this is that people love to talk about their history and feel proud of it. So, please don't wreck another thread on Eupedia seeing shadows of bankers, hidden agendas and enemies everywhere. At least once, show human face and extend an open hand.

Isn't it the same with everything for you, Yetos? I bet it is Soros behind, lol.
What behind this is that people love to talk about their history and feel proud of it. So, please don't wreck another thread on Eupedia seeing shadows of bankers, hidden agendas and enemies everywhere. At least once, show human face and extend an open hand.

Nah

notice they using the Neo-Greek history,
and yet they will mention a single Greek,
a single non Albanian,
and at the end they will finish that Greeks do not Existed,
and all modern Greece is Albanian,

Propaganda in Balkans is very ahead,
For example they write about the Roman/Byzantine remnant forces,
and they proudly present as Albanian only (they have the right to be proud)
But are they the same proud for the Famous Sipahi Albanian forces?
especially the ones who attacked the revolting Greeks?
NAHHHHH.

Still wonder why an Albanian from North parts feel proud about a Neo-Greek Arbanitis (Albanian origin)
And not for the famous Forces they served, The Sipahi, agaist them!!!!
Still wonder why they are proud about Arbanites,
and not about the famous Albanian timariot and Sipahi, who at least in my area burned villages for double taxation,

I wonder how that is called?
and for the eyes of who is done!!!

oh Boy

The remannts of The Byzantine Empire
The Romioi of East Orthodox Church,
In the Service of Venice,
But no Alabnians were not Romioi :LOL: :LOL:

I'm not saying Romioi = Albanian.

I'm saying that there did exist people that were born from "Albanian" parents that were die hard loyalists of the Byzantine Empire/Eastern Roman Empire.

It would have been considered sectarian or schismatic to assert personal Albanian identity for someone that is dedicated to the Byzantine/Eastern Roman Empire, and some
did call themselves Romans [FONT=&quot]¯\_(ツ)_/¯ [/FONT]

I'm not saying Romioi = Albanian.

I'm saying that there did exist people that were born from "Albanian" parents that were die hard loyalists of the Byzantine Empire/Eastern Roman Empire.

It would have been considered sectarian or schismatic to assert personal Albanian identity for someone that is dedicated to the Byzantine/Eastern Roman Empire, and some
did call themselves Romans ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But when I used the term Romioi, for the remnants Greco-Albanian of the Byzantine
Every Albanian was laughing, and said no, Albanians were never Rum

Nah

notice they using the Neo-Greek history,
and yet they will mention a single Greek,
a single non Albanian,
and at the end they will finish that Greeks do not Existed,
and all modern Greece is Albanian,

Propaganda in Balkans is very ahead,
For example they write about the Roman/Byzantine remnant forces,
and they proudly present as Albanian only (they have the right to be proud)
But are they the same proud for the Famous Sipahi Albanian forces?
especially the ones who attacked the revolting Greeks?
NAHHHHH.

Still wonder why an Albanian from North parts feel proud about a Neo-Greek Arbanitis (Albanian origin)
Still wonder why they are proud about Arbanites,
and not about the famous Albanian timariot and Sipahi, who at least in my area burned villages for double taxation,

Another time we will discuss about the Albanians that served in the Ottoman army and those that served in the Greek army ......don’t take it personally, it seems that for Albanians war was a Business worth the risk.....

Nah

Albanians are proud because for the most part they are proud of resistance against the ottoman empire. Do you know how crazy for
Skenderbeg Albanians are?

Those that claim Greeks never existed are a tiny loud minority. Its like basing your opinion of Americans on their Flat Earth community.

The majority of "muslim" Albanians also fought against Turks for independence. There were some loyalists but that doesn't reflect what
the peoples will was.

Picking out collaborators as if they represent what the nation wanted is misleading those that don't know the regions extremely complicated
history.

It's like if I said George Lincoln Rockwell represented the American people (pic below) to some chinese guy that doesn't know american history.

george-lincoln-rockwell-03.jpg

You can read just one account of George Finlay who was a friend of the Greeks and helped them win independence.

He was not an Albanian propagandist, and he doesn't hold off on describing them negatively.

For example in one part he describes Albanians as "proud, insolent, turbulent, and greedy of gain."

But he also documents their contribution to Greek independence and their resistance of
the ottomans.

This is just one of many texts where Albanian resistance is documented.

LINK: http://www.albanianhistory.net/1861_Finlay/index.html

But when I used the term Romioi, for the remnants Greco-Albanian of the Byzantine
Every Albanian was laughing, and said no, Albanians were never Rum

Albanians are not The Borg with a telepathic Hive-mind connection to each other :p

Byzantine Greek STRADIOTI

One of the most Famous, Komnenos

c4124-ce9bceb5cf80cf84cebfcebcceadcf81ceb5ceb9ceb1-ce88cebbcebbceb7cebdceb1cf82stratioto-ce95cebbcebbceb7cebdceb9cebacf8cce99cebdcf83cf84.jpg

ROMIOI STRADIOTI from 1507

estradiots-in-1507-by-gustave-david-1830.jpg

stradiot.jpg

ba8e4-stratioto-giorgiomanessis1546.jpg

Straduioti D Palaiologo as Venician (Venician dressed)
01583-strat-demetriospalaiologos.jpg

what Hat and what socks
PALIKARI ΠΑΛΙΚΑΡΙ
images

Furnovo dressing
Stradiot2.jpg

ellines_stratiotes1-630x400.jpg

@ TO ALL

lets face it,
and i stop here cause it is turning ridiculous.

why someone must be proud when his country is occupied.
And he serves as a mercenairy to foreign powers
:unsure: :unsure:

and offcourse from other families,
and not of his own!!!

Personally I am not proud of any Byzantine, as a polytheist my shelf
Yet i could be proud for the last emeperror Konstantinos Palaiologos for his duty.
But not for Demetrios or the exiled prince Georgios who served foreign forces as mercenaries.

Christoferens Colombo
Was a Genovese citizen
with possibility of Greek origin from Chios
Yet he discover America in the name and colours of Elissabeta of Spain,

who can be proud,
who takes the glory?

@ TO ALL

lets face it,
and i stop here cause it is turning ridiculous.

why someone must be proud when his country is occupied.
And he serves as a mercenairy to foreign powers
:unsure: :unsure:

and offcourse from other families,
and not of his own!!!

Personally I am not proud of any Byzantine, as a polytheist my shelf
Yet i could be proud for the last emeperror Konstantinos Palaiologos for his duty.
But not for Demetrios or the exiled prince Georgios who served foreign forces as mercenaries.

Christoferens Colombo
Was a Genovese citizen
with possibility of Greek origin from Chios
Yet he discover America in the name and colours of Elissabeta of Spain,

who can be proud,
who takes the glory?

You always destroy every thread here with your provocations.
Now i have a question for you. In the Siege of Candia in Crete, Venetians used among other troops Albanian stradioti, mostly catholics from North Albania but also some Orthodox Albanians from South. The Greeks fought with Venetians or against Venetians?

People in the past didn't fight, support, oppose or in general made any political or military move based entirely and solely on ethnic lines. It's simply anachronistic and self-deceiving to try to project modern inter-ethnic relations or conflicts, and modern national feelings, onto pre-modern, particularly pre-modern nationalism people. That observation is especially true of groups of mercenaries, who were usually willing to integrate to their hordes all kinds of foreign people who were willing to be helpful and respect their rules and customs, and of course were willing to work for and even adopt the social/cultural markers of whoever paid them a good amount of money. Irrespective of ethnic origins, their allegiances to this or that nation were tenuous at best. The best way to find reliable information about such ancient groups and understand them better is to avoid projecting present issues onto them and looking at them as some kind of 100% coherent and closed community. Most of the times they weren't, and you could see people from the very same ethnicity fighting on both sides of any war according to their own local, "tribal", parochial interests.

This thread has been viewed 53346 times.

Back