Stradioti.....their origin and history????

It seem that Stratiotes go way back.
The comitatenses of the old Roman field armies, in Justinian's day these were more commonly called stratiotai. Regular soldiers of the Roman army, the stratiotai were chiefly recruited from subjects of the empire in the highlands of Thrace, Illyricum and Isauria.
No, it's not exactly the same and i will explain it later when i will find some time. The Stradioti of the middle age were not exactly the classic mercenaries.
Meanwhile watch this documentary about Klada:
Gjurmë Shqiptare - Krokodili i Himarës.
Arbërori që sfidoi osmanët dhe venedikun

We know this study. The article of Wiki about Stradiotes it is based in this article. It`s a clear atempt to invent Greek stratiotes. The author unconsciously explains this appropriation of history to us with his words:
Most modern, as well as a good number of early authors have indicated that the stradioti were Albanian. This is true to a certain extent but has to be qualified. A Greek author made a study of the names of stradioti found in the most extensive documentary collection of materials dealing with the stradioti and found that some 80% of the names were of Albanian origin, while the rest were of Greek origin.[20]
He is so clear in his intention. Most of the modern and medieval scholars consider the stradioti Albanians but this guy has a friend(Greek like him) and with his help he will qualify this issue
Here below you have an example of how Greeks "qualify" the history:

Here is the page of Wiki about this Albanian stratioti that Greeks of Wiki consider him as Greek:

Krokodeilos Kladas

And here you have an serious source full with credible references:

https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/35842-Stradioti-their-origin-and-history/page3?p=538406&viewfull=1#post538406

I will bring latter other examples of falsification of history.

Στρατος Stratos = army
Ancient Greek word with IE roots

Notice

STRATEGOS STRATAGOS Στρατηγος, the high rank of military general command officer.

the termination Stratos Stratiotis etc mainly means the command officers no matter low or high rank, and not troopers, neither volunteers

it mainly means life time low or high rank military man

We know this study. The article of Wiki about Stradiotes it is based in this article. It`s a clear atempt to invent Greek stratiotes. The author unconsciously explains this appropriation of history to us with his words:
He is so clear in his intention. Most of the modern and medieval scholars consider the stradioti Albanians but this guy has a friend(Greek like him) and with his help he will qualify this issue
Here is the page of Wiki about this Albanian stratioti that Greeks of Wiki consider him as Greek:
Krokodeilos Kladas

https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/35842-Stradioti-their-origin-and-history/page3?p=538406&viewfull=1#post538406

thanks
i think it is the same issue with the most famous albanian stratiori commander
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercurio_Bua
born in the Peloponnese of Albanian parents
Hired as a mercenary captain
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condottieri
all his titles came via the Holy Roman emperor, Venice republic was never part of the Holy Roman Empire, so he must have served elsewhere militarily

Krokodeilos Kladas

As much as you can qualify “a Rayah” it does not become a lion. Let’s not waist our time with these “qualifications” and dig more on the stratiot warriors...:.since they were known in the Roman army from very early period. Where they were recruited? How they were compensated?

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

Where is the fresco depicting Demetrios Paleologos found?
A certain Demetrios Paleologos was captain of Pendayia in Cyprus and took part in the war in Cyprus in 1570.
The Paleologos family also had land and villages in their possession, during the Venetian rule in Cyprus.

As much as you can qualify “a Rayah” it does not become a lion. Let’s not waist our time with these “qualifications” and dig more on the stratiot warriors...:.since they were known in the Roman army from very early period. Where they were recruited? How they were compensated?

Rayah is the one qho kneels.

and as the 'old man' Kolokotronis said,

-''AXE and FIRE to those who kneel''

Thanks to Greek revolution, In Balkans, we are all able to write free, even whatever you write, and not words of 'kneeled' one.

If you do not like, then you can call Erdogan, to include you in his new Neo-Ottoman empire.

fotia-kai-tsekouri.jpg

Rayah is the one qho kneels.

and as the 'old man' Kolokotronis said,

-''AXE and FIRE to those who kneel''

Thanks to Greek revolution, In Balkans, we are all able to write free, even whatever you write, and not words of 'kneeled' one.

If you do not like, then you can call Erdogan, to include you in his new Neo-Ottoman empire.

fotia-kai-tsekouri.jpg

It has been almost two years now from this discussion, I am surprised that it has not been shot down yet. As for the axe and fire to those who kneel, good for you, but was not enough though without the French intervention.

It has been almost two years now from this discussion, I am surprised that it has not been shot down yet. As for the axe and fire to those who kneel, good for you, but was not enough though without the French intervention.

offcourse, inspired by French Revolt,
Helped by G Britain, France and Russia, states we served for centuries, with believing their promises about freedom, and revolts,

It was time to look after our country, and stop being mercenairies, or believe promises of others,

Helped by G Britain, France and Russia, states we served for centuries, with believing their promises about freedom, and revolts,

It was time to look after our country, and stop being mercenairies, or believe promises of others,

I mean this intervention

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morea_expedition

There were countries that won independence by themself, but that was not Greece. Greece is Kosovo liberation type model.

As for mercenaries, charging a fee for your services seems logical to me, shows knowledge of self-worth in a risky business such as war.

I mean this intervention

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morea_expedition

There were countries that won independence by themself, but that was not Greece. Greece is Kosovo liberation type model.

As for mercenaries, charging a fee for your services seems logical to me, shows knowledge of self-worth in a risky business such as war.

As always, you never read what I write,

so I copy/paste my shelf

As for Kossovo, if you can call it revolt, there is no comparison,
tottaly different things, and politics.

only the case that Greece rebirth after 400 years, while Kossovo (Albanian part) had behind a free country called Albania, it is out of question every comparison,
besides the different future of each, ( Greece is free and indepedent, while Kossovo is still to besolved, rather to 2 parts and still under observation of KFOR).

you can not compare unequal things,

As always, you never read what I write,

so I copy/paste my shelf

As for Kossovo, if you can call it revolt, there is no comparison,
tottaly different things, and politics.

only the case that Greece rebirth after 400 years, while Kossovo (Albanian part) had behind a free country called Albania, it is out of question every comparison,
besides the different future of each, ( Greece is free and indepedent, while Kossovo is still to besolved, rather to 2 parts and still under observation of KFOR).

you can not compare unequal things,

Again i repeat that Greek independence at the end was not won by French inspiration but by French expedition, similarly to the way the Kosovo independence was won later on.

Again i repeat that Greek independence at the end was not won by French inspiration but by French expedition, similarly to the way the Kosovo independence was won later on.

and again I say to you, since you want to play, and compare the Kossovo struggle with the Greek Revolution, tottaly different things,

you are reffering to thε battle of Navarone (Ναυαρινον)

and no matter I said by the 3 powers, you still stuck in the one, something that proves ..... what?

''The Greeks were later assisted by Great Britain, France and Russia, while the Ottomans were aided by their North African vassals, particularly the eyalet of Egypt. The war led to the formation of modern Greece.''

For this I suggest read the bellow,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_War_of_Independence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Navarino

FOR YOUR INFO

it was a naval battle among G Britain, France, Russia, and Egypt. a battle of the allied forces of Greeks and the Otoomans

the rest you write, is just your eyeview on only a piece of the 'cake'. as always, again you have prove your shelf .....

So your effort to connect to 'conect' and 'add' knowledge,
is nothing more than repeating what I said, but seems that you can not even repeat the whole part.

read again what I wrote,

When I write G Britain, France and RUssia, and you insist only in France, how would someone characterize this?

and again I say to you, since you want to play, and compare the Kossovo struggle with the Greek Revolution, tottaly different things,

you are reffering to thε battle of Navarone (Ναυαρινον)

and no matter I said by the 3 powers, you still stuck in the one, something that proves ..... what?

''The Greeks were later assisted by Great Britain, France and Russia, while the Ottomans were aided by their North African vassals, particularly the eyalet of Egypt. The war led to the formation of modern Greece.''

For this I suggest read the bellow,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_War_of_Independence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Navarino

FOR YOUR INFO

it was a naval battle among G Britain, France, Russia, and Egypt. a battle of the allied forces of Greeks and the Otoomans

the rest you write, is just your eyeview on only a piece of the 'cake'. as always, again you have prove your shelf .....

So your effort to connect to 'conect' and 'add' knowledge,
is nothing more than repeating what I said, but seems that you can not even repeat the whole part.

read again what I wrote,

When I write G Britain, France and RUssia, and you insist only in France, how would someone characterize this?

The number powers involved does not change the nature of involvement. In the end wars are won on land not in sea, so were the French who finished the job and stayed in Greece for many years in protection. So Kosovo Independence approach seems to me.

@blevins

you always want to say the last word,
either no sence, whatever, incorrect, etc

So I close this parenthesis, allowing you the last word,
which gives you the feeling that you win,
by promoting totaly incorrect or partially etc etc

Say the last word, if that makes you feel comfortable

@blevins

you always want to say the last word,
either no sence, whatever, incorrect, etc

So I close this parenthesis, allowing you the last word,
which gives you the feeling that you win,
by promoting totaly incorrect or partially etc etc

Say the last word, if that makes you feel comfortable

My first statement was my last. I just went on out of respect of my fellow neighbor even though I don’t see any logic and/or evidence in what you say. In addition consider Revolution vs independence war. Normally Revolutions relate to inner struggles not against foreign occupation forces.

Does anyone have knowledge about Venetian Oltremare mercenaries from the Venetian Albania serving Venetians
from Dalmatia to Crete in the 16-17th century?

Which group of people were equipped with a spear and wore turbans on their heads?

Thanks

This thread has been viewed 53344 times.

Back