Films & Series Franco Rossi's "The Odyssey" 1968

Johane Derite

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
E-V13>Z5018>FGC33625
mtDNA haplogroup
U1a1a
A great rendition. Even though there was no CGI back then, the costumes and setting are for me much better than the new Troy or Alexander by Colin Farrel...

The soundtrack adds the surreal touch whereas the visuals and actors transport you to the ancient world much better than Brad Pitt. I feel like this version translates
the rhythm of the way of life of ancient people, the scorching heat of the sun, the barrenness of the land, etc. So many details that make it feel authentic.

The entire thing has been uploaded to youtube and has English subtitles (just click the CC button)

Here are some stills: https://i.imgur.com/c8XnlWH.jpg

c8XnlWH.jpg

A great rendition. Even though there was no CGI back then, the costumes and setting are for me much better than the new Troy or Alexander by Colin Farrel...

The soundtrack adds the surreal touch whereas the visuals and actors transport you to the ancient world much better than Brad Pitt. I feel like this version translates
the rhythm of the way of life of ancient people, the scorching heat of the sun, the barrenness of the land, etc. So many details that make it feel authentic.

The entire thing has been uploaded to youtube and has English subtitles (just click the CC button)

Here are some stills: https://i.imgur.com/c8XnlWH.jpg

c8XnlWH.jpg

Thanks. I don't remember ever watching it. I'd see it just to watch Irene Papas. :)

I didn't like Brad Pitt as Achilles, but there's a newer version of the Troy story on Netflix which is even worse. The "hero" is that self-indulgent idiot Paris, if you can believe it. It's like the "Romance" version. Yuck!

I saw an interview with Colin Farrell and he's quite embarrassed by the movie. :)

Thanks. I don't remember ever watching it. I'd see it just to watch Irene Papas. :)

I didn't like Brad Pitt as Achilles, but there's a newer version of the Troy story on Netflix which is even worse. The "hero" is that self-indulgent idiot Paris, if you can believe it. It's like the "Romance" version. Yuck!

I saw an interview with Colin Farrell and he's quite embarrassed by the movie. :)

Irene Papas is amazing without even saying anything

Last edited:
Irene Papas is amazing without even saying anything I feel like i'm seeing the pinnacle of ancient beauty. Let alone the subtle emotion and maneuvers of her acting

I saw Irene Papas in Brindisi (Italy) a few years ago.
She was walking out of the Port.
She has an aura of elegance and she was beautiful.

She doesn't even need to speak. Those huge, black eyes, and that classic, gorgeous, expressive face could do it alone if need be. I've tried to see everything she's ever done. I can't believe I missed this one.

oltre-ulisse-e-penelope-L-R6Bfi0.png

Her performance in "Z" just breaks your heart, especially that scene where she stands in her closet, smells her husband's shirt, and just shatters:
zirene.jpg

There are two other actresses who have something of that look to me: Anouk Aimee and Caterina Murino. The latter, however, has wasted her talent.

anouk-aimee-6.jpg

0076e22f39e98aa0d98ffaf76bebe359.jpg

@Johane
I appreciate old fashioned bells and whistles, it all seems a lot more authentic, epic, and (ironically) more realistic because I can't help but feel that I'm watching a video game when I see poorly placed cgi in modern movies. I'd much rather hook up my PlayStation 4 and game on or find someone wealthy enough to have a PC Master Race caliber gaming rig and play games that match up graphically with any cgi you can shake a stick at.

Ill take costumes and muppets (muppets like Ewoks, Jawas, you get the drill lol) any day of the week

Described as the most faithful version of Homer's poem, with actual verses chanted throughout the films, Franco Rossi's Odissea is an absolute masterpiece.

I watched it on French TV when it was aired again in the 90's, and was completely fascinated by the atmosphere, the music, the scenery, and the actors' exceptional performance, so hieratic and austere in a "Greek tragedy" kind of way, and so much more authentic than any cheesy/bling bling US adaptation could ever hope to achieve.

Bekim Fehmiu and Irene Papas were just magnificent.

Originally it's an Italian-French-German-Yugoslav production. The only versions available on DVD are the original version in Italian, and a German version.

It's worth mentioning that if this masterpiece is available on YT both with French audio and with English subtitles, it's thanks to the labour of love of a French "fan", who fitted the French audio of a home recording to the Italian DVD version, and added English subtitles.

One of the most horrific scenes I've ever seen is the one with the Cyclopes. It has stunning special effects (considering the year it was filmed) courtesy of Mario Bava. It shows you don't need tons of CGI and in your face spectacular modern special effets to instill horror and send shivers down people's spine.

Another one of my favourite scenes - the killing of the pretenders:

Love the music - so ancient Greek:

2-uliks.jpg

Does anyone know where I can find the full movie in Italian?
Youtube only seems to have the french version.

Thanks in advance

Does anyone know where I can find the full movie in Italian?
Youtube only seems to have the french version.

Thanks in advance

As far as I can tell, only some parts of the Italian version are on YouTube. But you can find the whole series on Amazon.

The RAI has it online, in Italian of course, but it's location protected so you have to be in Italy.

Another thing. For some reason this never ran in the UK or the US, just some small channel in Canada. Strange, those two countries have always been mildly obsessed with the classics!

There's supposed to be an English dub though, but that is now probably lost even!

It's a beautiful movie

Inviato dal mio POT-LX1T utilizzando Tapatalk

It is!

In fact, I want to ask here if anyone maybe has old recordings of the ENGLISH version. It was still shown after 1980 in Canada, for example. Very old VHS or betamax, it's possible.

I have watched it with subtitles, that's not the problem. But the English spoken audio might make it more accessible to other people.

This thread has been viewed 10645 times.

Back