What's your theory on your Y-haplogroup ?

Doesnt matter. N is Finni-Ugric. Baltic is an indo European language and predominantly moved with Z280/M458. My point still stands.

Baltic is Indo-European language with Finno-Ugric influence, as well as their genetical material also has hard Finno-Ugric influence.

My Y DNA is poorly researched. I can't tell much about it.

My Y DNA is poorly researched. I can't tell much about it.

Well, the basal forms of it are in West Asia, so maybe an old Zagros agriculturalist lineage that migrated to South Asia.

This is always assumed for R2, but then it was also assumed for R1b, because Basal forms of R1b are also in West Asia, but ancient DNA from the Steppe, Siberia, and Europe has shown that such basal forms also existed there, and not necessarily in West Asia.

My bet is that R2 is either a Zagros farmer lineage, or central Asian hunter-gatherers that are related to ANE groups in Siberia and eastern Europe, or both :)

My theory on my Y haplogroup:

:79:

Animation-command-structure-roman-legion-770x437.jpg

1_ngIlSImG5Ybau1DT6a-gLg.jpg

Im Y H2 Haplogroup H-P96,and I have no idea how I came to have this in the UK today.

It is believed to of come to Europe with the early farmers EEF, but it is also mentioned, on this Eupedia site, ( Maciamo Hay, Oct 2016 ) " that it is likely that the first migrations of Homo Sapians to Europe, linked with the development of the Aurignacian Culture, bought old Haplogroups such as C-V20 and H-P96, simply because other haplogroups further down the phylogenic tree did not exist yet " . It would therefore suggest that this Haplogroup H-P96 would have to be associated with Hunter Gatherers, as the period covers periods from 45,000 yrs to 28,000 years, and farming had not yet arrived I understand.

If this later suggestion proves to be correct, and I accept this theory, then it could be one of the oldest surviving European, and possibly British Paternal haplogroups today, and older than Haplogroup I.

I do have several unbroken and proven paper lineages of descent in England, to the Anglo-Saxon kings of Wessex, from Ecgberht died 839 AD, through my mothers family lines, and this may be why I have such a large part of my family living DNA 29.7% showing as South East Ancestry, which actually covers the actual area's of the Kingdom of Wessex. If this older suggestion regarding my Y (H-P96 ) paternal line proves true, it would certainly be an improvement on that.

Last edited:
Im Y H2 Haplogroup H-P96,and I have no idea how I came to have this in the UK today.

It is believed to of come to Europe with the early farmers EEF, but it is also mentioned, on this Eupedia site, ( Maciamo Hay, Oct 2016 ) " that it is likely that the first migrations of Homo Sapians to Europe, linked with the development of the Aurignacian Culture, bought old Haplogroups such as C-V20 and H-P96, simply because other haplogroups further down the phylogenic tree did not exist yet " . It would therefore suggest that this Haplogroup H-P96 would have to be associated with Hunter Gatherers, as the period covers periods from 45,000 yrs to 28,000 years, and farming had not yet arrived I understand.

If this later suggestion proves to be correct, and I accept this theory, then it could be one of the oldest surviving European, and possibly British Paternal haplogroups today, and older than Haplogroup I.

I do have several unbroken and proven paper lineages of descent in England, to the Anglo-Saxon kings of Wessex, from Ecgberht died 839 AD, through my mothers family lines, and this suggestion regarding my ( H-P96 ) paternal line would certainly be an improvement on that.

I’m really get interested in your ydna ! It’s so fascinating ! I’ll go to search some info about it ... too old .. wow

I’m really get interested in your ydna ! It’s so fascinating ! I’ll go to search some info about it ... too old .. wow

Hi Gabriele,
Ive just updated it, as when I was looking into my cautious results from LivingDNA on the map, regarding my 29.7% South east England, the actual area shown, covers and surrounds that which was traditionally the area known as the Kingdom of Wessex. Living DNA might actually have it correct as I live in the North East.

Im Y H2 Haplogroup H-P96,and I have no idea how I came to have this in the UK today. (...)
We are both old, you are really rare and me close to Ötzi the Iceman. (y) I was assigned with G2a and it seems like we have a great great ... grandfather since 50,000 years ago. Then we have been partners in spreading of agriculture in Europe some 8,500 years ago. Or... maybe not because this Y is like a chimera for me. :confused: It looks like I am G2a and G1 or even H ... Or why not, even A0a1, A1, C, D, E1, E2, G1, H1, J2, N1, O1, R1, R2 in the same time!

I do have several unbroken and proven paper lineages of descent in England, to the Anglo-Saxon kings of Wessex, from Ecgberht died 839 AD, through my mothers family lines, and this may be why I have such a large part of my family living DNA 29.7% showing as South East Ancestry, which actually covers the actual area's of the Kingdom of Wessex. If this older suggestion regarding my Y (H-P96 ) paternal line proves true, it would certainly be an improvement on that.

From what I know about H2 from studying my own haplogroup G2a, I would suggest that H2 is most probably a Neolithic lineage, albeit a minor one. The Wikipedia article actually does a good job in recording all of the occurrences of H2 in prehistoric Europe, and it is clear that it follows G2a and the Neolithic farmers. The first recording is in Motza Israel, which means it either had a more southern origin than G2a and was just picked up by people from Anatolia as they moved to Europe, or it was native to Anatolia and a transplant to the Levant along with PPNB/PPNC culture.

After that we can see that it is found with G2a and the spread of agriculture. Starting in Turkey, up through South Eastern Europe where it is heavily recorded, and eventually spread all the way out towards Western Europe, being recorded in Spain twice.

I just quickly scanned through FamilyTreeDNA to see its spread and managed to find 25 people with it:

4 from British Isles (2 or 3 of the surnames are Norman)
5 from North America but British Isles names (2 or 3 surnames are Norman, 1 Anglo Saxon)
8 continental Europe (4 from Sweden, 1 Ukraine, 1 Poland, 1 Alsace)
5 Armenia
1 Assyria
2 UAE/Bahrain

The fact that there is a split of people with the haplogroup between Asia and Europe to me confirms that it was a Neolithic implant into Europe rather than a haplogroup that was present beforehand. How it got to Britain in your case is probably similar to how G2a got there, although someone would have to confirm this.

We are both old, you are really rare and me close to Ötzi the Iceman. (y) I was assigned with G2a and it seems like we have a great great ... grandfather since 50,000 years ago. Then we have been partners in spreading of agriculture in Europe some 8,500 years ago. Or... maybe not because this Y is like a chimera for me. :confused: It looks like I am G2a and G1 or even H ... Or why not, even A0a1, A1, C, D, E1, E2, G1, H1, J2, N1, O1, R1, R2 in the same time!

Well, there is only two of us with H-P96,in the Uk,that I know of, myself in Northern England and another lad in Scotland, according to Ftdna Y H project. I think they will have to use bar codes soon as there is too many figures etc, getting put about, and its a bit confusing trying to figure out who you are..lol.

Well, there is only two of us with H-P96,in the Uk,that I know of, myself in Northern England and another lad in Scotland, according to Ftdna Y H project. I think they will have to use bar codes soon as there is too many figures etc, getting put about, and its a bit confusing trying to figure out who you are..lol.

I think I do not need a barcode any more, because in the raw data, they have found markers for half of the known haplogruopes! That's enough. I'm like no other... I'm alien!:LOL:

R1a1a1>L-664>YP-943 Paper trail to England. Presumably a Germanic haplogroup, probably arrived with the Anglo-Saxons or Normans.

My y-DNA is R1b>U106>U198>S4056 as of my latest SNP test (2016). (I just purchased the Big Y-500 to find my terminal SNP, so my final results will probably change.)

According to Maciamo and his excellent charts, I'm part of the Dutch/Anglo-Saxon branch of this SNP tree. My surname, although now spelled the English way, is pronounced the same in its original German version that came to Philadelphia with my ancestor in 1751 from outside Karlsruhe, Baden. An awful lot of Germans came to Pennsylvania before the Revolutionary War, just like my line.

Any story about my haplogroup has to include a reference to my paternal line. I never met my biological paternal grandfather; he left the family when my dad was six. I don't even know what he looked like, as my Nana has the habit of cutting out divorced spouses out of pictures (my own mother fell victim to this). Until 2007, very nearly until I was thirty, I thought I was English in paternal line descent, as my father's birth last name (that of his biological father) was Sellers. It was that year I found out we were actually German; doing some research I found out the Sellers last name appears concentrated around the area of the Main River in Germany. So this spring I take the 23andMe test and find my Y haplogroup as R1a1a1, and the later update has me at YP445, which is downstream of M458 in the L-1029 subclade, a Slavic group. My father's stepfather, whose name my father, his two brothers, and their children possess, was Polish. So I have a Slavic last name, a Slavic Y-Chromosome, and those are the only two things Slavic about me; autosomallly I am 87.8% Northwest European, 11.5% South European (Sicilian), and 0.7% Native American.

I2a2a (M223) - Germanic Saxons with two closest genetic relatives in Denmark and East Anglia (England). I live near the Harz Mountains in Central Germany as my paternal ancestors.This HG originated in Central Europe 3.000 years ago

Same here! However, my lineage is Northern Portuguese. The most reasonable theory I read (in the Eupedia article about the Iberian Y-DNA including) is that it was brought to the Iberian Peninsula by the Suebi. It makes a lot of sense to me, even because currently there are only 4 people tested positive for my subclade in the FT I-M223 project. Two of them are German (with German ancestry), the other is Portuguese and I'm the fourth. But who knows...

My Y - DNA is also R-L21, my paternal ancestors might have been Celtics from Wales.

I-M223 (I2a1b/I2a2a/I2b1).

* Most prominent WHG haplogroup, Epigravettion Refugium, expanded west and north as ice sheets retreated, so can be found throughout Europe, from northern Sweden to Sicily, Ukraine to Ireland.
* Macaimo's I2a2 map (which is a good proxy for I-M223, since over 90% of I2a2 are I2a2a) shows hotspots (>10%) in 1) central Germany, 2) northern Sweden, and 3) SE Ulster/SW Scotland.
* Irish surname (Callahan) with earliest known paternal-line ancestor born in Ireland (1757), by U.S. census, and possibly Northern Ireland (by family tradition).
* IrishOrigenes.com shows a similar concentration of I2a2a in County Down (SE Ulster).

The above draws me to speculate that my I-M223 ancestors were likely to have lived in or around County Down, Ulster, although the surname traces back to the 10th Century Kings of Munster. I do have two Callahan matches (GD=4) out of 10 for I-M223 at FTDNA (Y-DNA-37).

The question is how I-M223 got to Ireland:

* Earliest hunter gatherers to enter Ireland (c. 8,000 BC).
* W/ Neolithic farmers (c. 4,000 BC).
* W/ Megaliths/Bellbeakers (c. 2,500 BC)
* W/ Proto-Celts (c. 1,500 BC)
* W/ Celts (c. 500 BC)
* W/ Scots/Picts (c. 750 AD)

A romantic predilection would be to be linked with the Tuatha De Danann...

This thread has been viewed 22846 times.

Back