What's your theory on your Y-haplogroup ?

IronSide

Elite member
Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
I2c2
mtDNA haplogroup
T2e1
Its a nice idea for a thread, everyone can share their theories on why they descend from their paternal line, what cultures, events, and migrations lead to your result ?

Mine is I2c2, the weirdest subclade in haplogroup I :)

It has a south Caucasus (Armenia, Georgia, Turkey) and Greek distribution, ranges from 1-5%, in Greece, it is highest in Crete with a frequency of 9%. from the age estimates on Yfull, TMRCA is approx. 2000 BC, while the mutations that define it formed in 13000 BC.

So how did I, an Arabian, get this result ? my tribe is part of a larger group of tribes in southern Arabia called Azd, in Arab legends, the tribe originated in Kingdom of Saba (1000 BC - 275 AD), many south Arabian tribes are mentioned by name in Sabaean inscriptions, but the name Azd is not mentioned as a tribe, but as a caste, the kingdom of Saba was a stratified society, the King and his nobles that held the land were a caste, merchants in cities were another, peasents and slaves, and the military caste or warriors, who were called the Azd, the phrase 'Azd of the king' meant the soldiers of the king.

The origin of the Sabaeans is unknown, but the strongest theory is that they migrated from the Levant in the context of the Bronze Age collapse, there are linguistic and archaeological arguments for this.

Hurrians migrated to the Levant from the Caucasus in the late Bronze Age, many cities had Hurrian governers under the Pharoah, Canaan itself was called 'Hurru', in one of the Amarna letters.

So my theory is that I2c2 is Hurrian, in the Levant at least, but what of its presence in Greece ? Hurrians should have been CHG+Anatolia-Neo (Armenia BA), and I2c was found in barcin in northwestern Anatolia, so maybe it dates to the times of old Europe ?

TMRCA estimates may not be accurate but it is still too young to be a neolithic remnant, its high frequency in Crete may be indicative of a Minoan origin, and we know the Minoans had CHG ancestry, so I hypothesize that it arrived with this ancestry from Asia to the island of Crete and mainland Greece.

Ancient samples so far are from Scandinavian HG (I2c2), Neolithic Anatolia (I2c), BA Unetice culture (I2c) and Scythians (I2c2).

Scythian R1a z2123 from Scotland. Queensberry Douglas clan. You tell me how it got there, I’ve read plenty of theories.

Scythian R1a z2123 from Scotland. Queensberry Douglas clan. You tell me how it got there, I’ve read plenty of theories.

Roman mercenaries guarding Hadrian's wall !!!

Mine is Celtic (R-L21) which is kind of odd for a Spanish guy even in the north, DF-27 dominants the area at around 40-50% but R-L21 is at 10%. It can be even a migration from Britain into Spain, Central Celts came into Spain or possibility it came from the Celtiberians and somehow my Celtic ancestor survived everything at most from the Romans, hey even i got admixture from them, and the haplogroup is in me now

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britonia

I1a2 in Belgium because of the Franks.

I2a2a (M223) - Germanic Saxons with two closest genetic relatives in Denmark and East Anglia (England). I live near the Harz Mountains in Central Germany as my paternal ancestors.This HG originated in Central Europe 3.000 years ago

R1b U106 L44 + L163-
My grandfather was from Northern Italy (Veneto). Our oldest known ancestor emigrated from the valleys of Bergamo to Veneto in the XV century. Because the R1b U106 is related to the Germanic peoples, I suppose that my paternal family descends from the Longobards, or, less likely, from the Ostrogoths or the Franks.

Not yet having a further test that more accurately identifies the subclade, given the geographical location of my paternal family, at the time I could still bet on a peninsular origin of my J-M172 (ancient Etruscan and / or Roman colonies that they entered the Po Valley by arriving from central Italy) either on a balkan or aegean route (Illyrian, Thracian or Greek sailors of the Roman Imperial fleet stationed in Ravenna, or some byzantine military recruited from those same areas, then remained in Italy during the Exarchate).

Mine( I2- CTS10028) is told to be a slavic one..[emoji850]... being an albanian is so strange to tell it ... it is present mostly in south east Europe but... my and Ironside’s y dna are linked( both being I2[emoji6])

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

Ah, the Y-DNA haplogroup...I have a Polish last name, a Polish dominated haplogroup (R M-458) but yet am not Polish. 88% Northwestern Europe, with the rest being Sicilian and trace amounts of Native American...my father and two uncles were raised by their Polish-American stepfather (and, of course, my Nana) after their biological father-whose paternal line origin is Germany-left the family when my dad was six (ironically, both father and stepfather, Korean War Vets, are buried in the same Veterans' Cemetery in Riverside, California). I belong to the B-Western subclade of M-458, which has been found in Germany, but still I found this quite ironic.

With my closest matches being Albanians in our founder effect and all others being basal matches at 2100ypb, I hypothesize my clade arrived either as Germanized Proto-Balt with Goths, Avars, or Slavic tribes like the Baiounitai and or Berziti. Without any pre-500AD ADNA it is hard to say for certain. The popular view based on modern distributions are the Slavic tribes, though modern distributions absent ADNA is not indicative of the past. My founder effect is estimated as early as 1400ypb at present. So it appears to have joined Proto-Albanian clans pretty early.

With my closest matches being Albanians in our founder effect and all others being basal matches at 2100ypb, I hypothesize my clade arrived either as Germanized Proto-Balt with Goths, Avars, or Slavic tribes like the Baiounitai and or Berziti. Without any pre-500AD ADNA it is hard to say for certain. The popular view based on modern distributions are the Slavic tribes, though modern distributions absent ADNA is not indicative of the past. My founder effect is estimated as early as 1400ypb at present. So it appears to have joined Proto-Albanian clans pretty early.

What do you consider with "proto-Balt" ?

Proto-Balt could be "N" as well.

It’s hard to say with my haplogroup, I2a-A2512-A10959. Someone from my region and with my haplogroup recently had a new SNP discovered: Y66192, under A10959. Two others from Greece have an SNP under Y66192, Y60804, but not the Y66192 person.

So there are several basal clades of A2512 in Greece (or Y18331, possibly predating A2512): Y18331* (A2512-), A2512* (A10959- and A7134-) and Y66192* (Y60804-).

A2512/Y18331 are estimated to have formed around 2,200 years ago. Subbraches have East European Jews, Spanish likely descended from a Greek man several centuries ago and a Chuvash man or two. Because of basal clades, Greece seems like a homeland of those who originally migrated there, probably from Eastern Europe. Or maybe the Greeks’ ancestors came from the Black Sea colonies, where they picked up A2512/Y18331? Could it have been Bastarnae, Goths or someone else who originally brought the haplogroup to Greece? So far there are no Slavs in the branches.

When I first tested years ago, it was haplogroup I1b. Things have really developed since then.

What do you consider with "proto-Balt" ?

Proto-Balt could be "N" as well.
Well, theoretically L1029 is believed to have origin between Elbe and Oder. Before Slavic occupation, much of that was Baltic lands. So I say Proto-Baltic, as modern Baltic developed in the middle-late middle ages. Also N is considered to be Finno-Ugric. Most Balts are Z280/M458.

Well, theoretically L1029 is believed to have origin between Elbe and Oder. Before Slavic occupation, much of that was Baltic lands.

Slavic occupation from where?? Slavs occupied Balts only from Kolochin culture (East Slavs) to upper Balts who probably lived here.

Most Balts are Z280/M458.

They are about 40% R1a, and 40% N. So they aren't even genetically indo-european.

Slavic occupation from where?? Slavs occupied Balts only from Kolochin culture (East Slavs) to upper Balts who probably lived here.

They are about 40% R1a, and 40% N. So they aren't even genetically indo-european.

Doesnt matter. N is Finni-Ugric. Baltic is an indo European language and predominantly moved with Z280/M458. My point still stands.

This thread has been viewed 22837 times.

Back