Ancestry DNA Update

My results were updated a couple of months ago and now finally my parents' results were updated! :giggle:

Mine:
Sweden61%
Norway34%
England, Wales & Northwestern Europe3%
Finland2%

Dad:
Sweden57%
Norway37%
Finland6%

Mom:
Sweden75%
Norway23%
England,Wales & Northwestern Europe2%

Better predictions, and matches quite well with my genealogy research. The only thing that doesn't match is the +1% extra of E.,W. & NWE that they couldn't find in my parents results.

My original results were:

Great Britain 93% - Consisting of -

76% Northern England/Yorkshire and the Pennines
17% Scottish Highlands

4% Western Europe
2% Eastern Europe
1% Scandinavian.

Updated results:

Ethnicity Estimate

England, Wales & Northwestern Europe 69% - consisting of:

Northern England & the Midlands

Yorkshire & Pennines

Northern England

Ireland and Scotland 31% - consisting of:

Scotland

Scottish Highlands & Eastern Nova Scotia (my grandmother came from the Isle of Lewis, in the outer Hebrides)

These seem to be pretty good estimations, considering that in in my ancestry, going back several generations, I cannot find a single surname that is not of British origin.

My British percentage is good and the new version captures my Polish 3rd Great Grandmother.
However, I feel like my Ireland and Scottish percentage is too high and French/German is underrepresented. I’m not sure where my 3% Norwegian Percentage came from.

Overall, the new AncestryDNA seems promising :)

Updated:
E, W and NW: 51%
Ireland and Scotland: 36%
East Europe and Russia: 4%
France: 3%
Germanic Europe: 3%
Norway: 3%

Old:
British: 43%
Irish: 21%
Europe West: 13%
Europe East: 9%
Scandinavia: 8%

Last edited:
Unofficial Update:
(subject to changes):

Italy - 75
Greece/Albania - 22
Near East - 3

FpFAyOC.jpg

Update ...

new AncestryDNA Official Results

(same as unofficial :)

gMdEwxe.jpg

EDIT:

HlTgMKP.jpg

... from MTA Ancient ...
r0rK96v.jpg

... no Salento :(

Last edited:
Alone, All by itself, :) I guess Salento is the Frontier, no Man’s Land, where West/East S. Europe meet.

Nobody gets Salento, not even the Salentini (me).

uA2U8dm.jpg

KTSo9mf.jpg

u8eKmgr.png

TcVjdWC.jpg

Last edited:
@Jovialis, thanks for sharing :)

I just received the Ancestry DNA update, looking for an opinion. My background on my father's side is German/British Isles and my mother's it is Italian from Campania/Molise/Lombardy. My previous results were closer to what I thought it should be where my Italy was at 36% and it assigned me to Italy South region. My mother also tested 100% Italy and is assigned Molise and Campania. Her results have changed also. My mother's isn't a drastic change. Her Balkans/Greece make sense being that 75% of her family is from south Italy and the French she gets I'm guessing is from her side in Lombardy. But mine? Almost all of my Italian has disappeared and has been absorbed to another population. I'm thinking because I'm from several populations it's hard to determine what I am confidently with their algorithm but also I've noticed companies do a really lousy job at assigning Italians genetic results (with FTDNA's 17% Sephardic). At least I still have my south Italy region. I would really like to know what people think. I am unable to post our previous results so I'm writing them here to compare with my updated results. My mother's results: 100% Italy, my results: Germanic Europe 39%, Italy 36%, England, Wales & NW Europe 17%, Ireland and Scotland 5%, Norway 3%. Here the updated results:
AncestryDNAStory-results-151119.jpgAncestryDNAStory-results2-151119.jpg

^^
When someone is really mixed it can indeed be difficult for these companies to get it right. It winds up that only people with all four grandparents from one place are correctly labeled, and they usually don't need a test to tell them their ancestry. :)

That said, companies should do a better job on people who have 50% ancestry from one place. That's one of the reasons I'm not fond of ancestry.com. It doesn't have a history of doing a good job for those people, in my experience. Have you done 23andme? The people I know who are half Italian, or at least half southern Italian, usually get decent results.

I think ancestry does a really bad job with Northern Italians/Tuscans in general. In my prior version they had me as 45% French and 55% Italian. That's obviously silly, since I know my ancestors have been in certain specific areas of Italy for at least 900-1000 years, and probably much longer than that. If I were adopted and didn't know my genealogy I could be thinking one of my parents was "actually" French.

Now it has changed. The French has gone down a bit and I gained maybe 5% Greece and Balkans. Still wrong, but whatever...

As you can see, this leaves far Northern Italy and Provence sort of in limbo, like, I might add, Normandy and Brittany and Picardy and Alsace in France as well.

qIHNNVx.png

When I look for more detail on my supposed "French" ancestry, this is what I see:

ahATvfV.png

This time the quasi French ancestry takes in a piece of Switzerland, which makes sense, all of Northern Tuscany, and Catalonia as well.

Fwiw, I've been saying for years that I thought that there was a genetic link between Liguria (and northern coastal Toscana), the French Mediterranean Coast, and Catalonia. I've traveled that coast innumerable times, lived for a while in Barcelona, go to Provence every year, and see it in the food, the similarities when people speak in dialect, even in the "look" of the people. Now genetics seems to support that.

Perhaps it goes all the way back to Cardial, then to the Ligures, then the Romans/Greeks. I don't know, but it's there; slightly different proportions, but still there.

To call it "French" is a little much, though.

Interestingly, although ancestry sees me as part French, all my ged match calculator results see my closest populations after Northern Italy and Tuscany either as northern Balkans like the Bulgarians, or Spanish.

It's just weird though how it had me with higher Italy percentage before and then, poof, disappeared or absorbed into another. I see my Germanic has risen but could it have absorbed so much Italy? I think using national name references is a mistake because it can confuse people, maybe use only regional terms and share which country/countries they're found in and explain why they are connected for example Balkans and Greece being found in Italy. They should explain ancient connections and use ancient migration maps. There is also the pressure for companies I think to dumb-down their explanations for a wider audience and maybe they think, at least with Ancestry, that people only understand simple labels which is unfair if it's true.

Interesting what you said about Northern Tuscany, Liguria, the French Mediterranean and Catalonia. My wife is from North Sardinia which is where I live now and she says the same thing. Here in Sardinia, in the north coast of Gallura and Sassari were settled by Pisans and Genovese colonists. They left their mark everywhere, but especially the dialect, though I reckon that in Gallura it is more of a southern extension of Corsica which is dialect of Tuscan and Sassari is a heavy mix of the ancient dialect of Pisa, Genoa and Catalonian/Spanish plus Logudorese. The west coast also has a lot of Catalan influence as well, like Alghero. I can travel 15 minutes outside this "zone" to a Sardo speaking village and you can see the differences in their faces, especially in Barbagia. Or maybe I have been living here too long. I have a hunch that there was a major migration, or migrations of neolithic, copper and bronze age peoples who travelled from north Italy, some south to Tuscany, then hopscotched to Corsica and Sardiana, the others west through Liguria all the way to Catalonia. I personally think that one migration, maybe in the bronze age were the parents of the Nuragic people, first coming from the north of Italy, then colonised Corsica and then over into Gallura, then dispersed throughout the rest of the island. Then of course in the middle ages the same migration patterns persisted. I could go on and on about this. I'll try to discuss this more at length on a separate thread.

It's just weird though how it had me with higher Italy percentage before and then, poof, disappeared or absorbed into another. I see my Germanic has risen but could it have absorbed so much Italy? I think using national name references is a mistake because it can confuse people, maybe use only regional terms and share which country/countries they're found in and explain why they are connected for example Balkans and Greece being found in Italy. They should explain ancient connections and use ancient migration maps. There is also the pressure for companies I think to dumb-down their explanations for a wider audience and maybe they think, at least with Ancestry, that people only understand simple labels which is unfair if it's true.

Interesting what you said about Northern Tuscany, Liguria, the French Mediterranean and Catalonia. My wife is from North Sardinia which is where I live now and she says the same thing. Here in Sardinia, in the north coast of Gallura and Sassari were settled by Pisans and Genovese colonists. They left their mark everywhere, but especially the dialect, though I reckon that in Gallura it is more of a southern extension of Corsica which is dialect of Tuscan and Sassari is a heavy mix of the ancient dialect of Pisa, Genoa and Catalonian/Spanish plus Logudorese. The west coast also has a lot of Catalan influence as well, like Alghero. I can travel 15 minutes outside this "zone" to a Sardo speaking village and you can see the differences in their faces, especially in Barbagia. Or maybe I have been living here too long. I have a hunch that there was a major migration, or migrations of neolithic, copper and bronze age peoples who travelled from north Italy, some south to Tuscany, then hopscotched to Corsica and Sardiana, the others west through Liguria all the way to Catalonia. I personally think that one migration, maybe in the bronze age were the parents of the Nuragic people, first coming from the north of Italy, then colonised Corsica and then over into Gallura, then dispersed throughout the rest of the island. Then of course in the middle ages the same migration patterns persisted. I could go on and on about this. I'll try to discuss this more at length on a separate thread.

I completely agree.

They could include Corsica and that slice of northern Sardinia in that graphic of people who are similar.

You see the patterns, the similarities but also the differences precisely because you've lived there.

It's the kind of knowledge that people whose experience is a one week vacation to one or maybe two cities in Italy, where they have no idea anyway of the ancestry of the people they're seeing given the massive internal migrations, can never have.

That's why it's so amusing when they set themselves up as "experts". Some of them, indeed, have never been there at all.

Sardegna is where my Massa Carrara family go to escape the foreign tourists on the Riviera. :) It's so beautiful there, and more "authentic", providing you get away from the glitzy coastal resorts.

This is mine; my German went up, which makes sense, since my paternal grandfather was half German, and my paternal grandmother about 3/16 to a quarter.View attachment 11584

On my iPhone, the Ancestry app messed up the spelling for Apulia.

... and I thought I was the only one who couldn’t spell around here! :)

xRJ5a6f.jpg

xRJ5a6f.jpg

latest......the more I look at it the more french I get .....gained 12% french and lost 6% italian.....

Ancestry is a lost cause

xRJ5a6f.jpg
They didn't mess up the spelling they messed up the language Apulien is the region in German.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

They didn't mess up the spelling they messed up the language Apulien is the region in German.

Thanks, that may be so, but everything else is in English :)

your more Italian than I in Ancestry................i am just a snail muncher

Italy went from 79 to 75. They increased Greece and the Balkans and I lost Sardinia and Spain.

your more Italian than I in Ancestry................i am just a snail muncher

I never understood that clich?. We don't eat more snails (or frog legs) than anybody (I personally hate them).

This thread has been viewed 58928 times.

Back