Ancestry DNA Update

I never understood that clich�. We don't eat more snails (or frog legs) than anybody (I personally hate them).

Diaspora Italians, along with foreigners who come to Italy and eat only pizza and pasta, another cliche, don't have a full understanding of Italian culture or they'd know that we eat snails as well. So do the Spanish, and for all I know, others. I don't like them myself, even though Ancestry says I'm a mix of Italian and French. :) I like the sauce, but the snail itself has a peculiar flavor for me.

The Italian version:
2961661722_a5042f1fa4_o.jpg

I like the French version better if I have to eat them for politeness' sake, because I can just dunk bread in the sauce and disguise that I'm not eating the snails.

The Romans loved them, btw, so we can blame them. :)

https://carolashby.com/snails-cochleas/

"During the late Republic and the Empire, the Romans loved eating snails. Fluvius Hirpinus has been credited with making snails a popular dish shortly before the civil war between Julius Caesar and Pompey (49 BC). While the common people might eat snails gathered in a garden, the elite ate snails raised in special enclosures called choclearia and carefully fattened.Some were fattened with sapa, the honey-like liquid produced by boiling freshly pressed grape juice to reduce it to one third the original volume. The sapa was mixed with flour before feeding to the snails.
Others were fattened with milk, as in the following recipe from Apicius."

Truth be told, I'm sure they were eaten in all countries as a source of protein, before everyone got so squeamish. Some countries kept these old foods, probably because they knew how to make them palatable, like "tripa", cow intestines.:)

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
I had snails and I loved them!!! Very fun to eat, we need these on the menu more often

Salento, that's pretty good localization of your ancestry!

Mine just got updated. Previous estimate:

Greece & the Balkans 62%
Eastern Europe & Russia 29%
Turkey and the Caucasus 6%
Italy 3%

The new estimate:
Greece & the Balkans 70%
Eastern Europe & Russia 25%
Turkey and the Caucasus 1%
Italy 2%
Baltics 1%
Malta 1%

The new estimate is almost the exact opposite of the Living DNA estimate which has Eastern Europe 70% and Aegean ancestry at 27%.

Diaspora Italians, along with foreigners who come to Italy and eat only pizza and pasta, another cliche, don't have a full understanding of Italian culture or they'd know that we eat snails as well. So do the Spanish, and for all I know, others. I don't like them myself, even though Ancestry says I'm a mix of Italian and French. :) I like the sauce, but the snail itself has a peculiar flavor for me.

The Italian version:
2961661722_a5042f1fa4_o.jpg

I like the French version better if I have to eat them for politeness' sake, because I can just dunk bread in the sauce and disguise that I'm not eating the snails.

The Romans loved them, btw, so we can blame them. :)

https://carolashby.com/snails-cochleas/

"During the late Republic and the Empire, the Romans loved eating snails. Fluvius Hirpinus has been credited with making snails a popular dish shortly before the civil war between Julius Caesar and Pompey (49 BC). While the common people might eat snails gathered in a garden, the elite ate snails raised in special enclosures called choclearia and carefully fattened.Some were fattened with sapa, the honey-like liquid produced by boiling freshly pressed grape juice to reduce it to one third the original volume. The sapa was mixed with flour before feeding to the snails.
Others were fattened with milk, as in the following recipe from Apicius."

Truth be told, I'm sure they were eaten in all countries as a source of protein, before everyone got so squeamish. Some countries kept these old foods, probably because they knew how to make them palatable, like "tripa", cow intestines.:)

maxresdefault.jpg

the only way I can try snails is for them to be chopped, so it would be hard to tell what is it, and very important, not to be told what I am eating. I tried once breaststroke, I throw the hell right on spot, spoiling the dinner of people who were eating that night.

Salento, that's pretty good localization of your ancestry!

Good Localization of my Ancestry? Almost! I'm OK with Puglia, but my roots are in the grayed out area.

Unless you're being sarcastic, lol
u8eKmgr.png

I compensate my sorrow with the joy of my “Deep Dive” Romans :)
lZktRyA.jpg

Good Localization of my Ancestry? Almost! I'm from the grayed out area.

u8eKmgr.png

lZktRyA.jpg

I've never understood why you're not in the Salento, or why it's greyed out, either.

On the other hand, I've never understood how they could have made me almost half French, no offense to the French.

Good Localization of my Ancestry? Almost! I'm OK with Puglia, but my roots are in the grayed out area.

u8eKmgr.png

lZktRyA.jpg
Was not the dark area Doric lands before the eventual messapic/iapyges pushed them out ?

I've never understood why you're not in the Salento, or why it's greyed out, either.
On the other hand, I've never understood how they could have made me almost half French, no offense to the French.

I’m with the Italians:
HlTgMKP.jpg

Salento is in limbo, they don't assign it to anyone.

imho The oracle gets confused ’cause of the Italians, the Griko and Albanians all living in the same small area.

uA2U8dm.jpg

Was not the dark area Doric lands before the eventual messapic/iapyges pushed them out ?

Most of the Griko came in a more recent medieval migration.
and I can see Albania from my window, sometimes lol

I’m with the Italians:

HlTgMKP.jpg

Salento is in limbo, they don't assign it to anyone.
imho The oracle gets confused ’cause of the Italians, the Griko and Albanians all living in the same small area.

uA2U8dm.jpg

Came from Rome:

Griko Anthem (kind of it):

u8eKmgr.png

lZktRyA.jpg

So they're off by 50km. Big deal!

I forgot if there was a genetic study of the Griko and the Calabrian Greko people that might shed some light on their genetic ancestry.

Mine just got updated. Previous estimate:

Greece & the Balkans 62%
Eastern Europe & Russia 29%
Turkey and the Caucasus 6%
Italy 3%

The new estimate:
Greece & the Balkans 70%
Eastern Europe & Russia 25%
Turkey and the Caucasus 1%
Italy 2%
Baltics 1%
Malta 1%

The new estimate is almost the exact opposite of the Living DNA estimate which has Eastern Europe 70% and Aegean ancestry at 27%.

If you got a regional community, is it correct?

If you got a regional community, is it correct?

It was close to Ancestry and MyHeritage in the old days before the new look if you did the regional option.

Ancestry released a new ethnicity update this week. For typical white Americans I notice a trend of reporting higher Irish/Scottish than before. Example, raising me from 10% to 23%.

I also notice a trend of overreporting small amounts of Scandinavian in typical US southerners. Some are getting higher than my father who actually has a Norwegian immigrant. There was very little direct Scandinavian immigration into the colonial south and I'm guessing their calculator is picking up Scandinavian sub-pop genes that existed in the UK in the 1600s.

Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 3.11.35 PM.pngActually they dialed down my Irish and Scottish-which is virtually all Irish, mmm potatoes-to a more realistic amount, but they got rid of any trace of my Sicilian! Infamia! (I would add a curse in Italian, but Angela probably knows what it means)

View attachment 11632Actually they dialed down my Irish and Scottish-which is virtually all Irish, mmm potatoes-to a more realistic amount, but they got rid of any trace of my Sicilian! Infamia! (I would add a curse in Italian, but Angela probably knows what it means)

Not if it was Sicilian dialect. I have to get it translated.:) I got all those lovely Neapolitan ballads translated too. I only understood 50-60%. It was more than worth the effort.

This thread has been viewed 58948 times.

Back