Ancestry DNA Update

Italian subregions now identified on Ancestry
View attachment 13163
ancestry.dna.jpg

My wife's Ancestry DNA report just has Northern Italy and Southern Italy as the regions. No further breakdown available. Actually no further breakdown for any of the regions.

My wife's Ancestry DNA report just has Northern Italy and Southern Italy as the regions. No further breakdown available. Actually no further breakdown for any of the regions.

I have had subregions identified for Ireland and England for a couple years now, but I discovered my Italian subregion today (though I hadn't checked the website for quite some time prior). The Italian subregion is precisely where I knew my family came from, so it's no great revelation. But it's still impressive that Ancestry.com is able to determine these things.

I find it rather extraordinary how accurate this update is...

I come in at 94% Northern Italian, with closest ancestry Cremona, Parma, and La Spezia, which is exactly right to my knowledge, except for Cremona. I'll have to go back over my trees.

llmKVmE.png

FK3uIT5.png

In terms of provinces, it's Emilia, eastern Liguria, northwestern Toscana, and the southernmost slice of Lombardia.

Amazing.

France is 4%, and England/bit of Belgium 2%.

They even presume to know which parent contributed which ancestry. I hope they can refine this in the future because as of now I don't know which ancestor would have given me the French vs the English/NW Euro, although I'm guessing my mother, with ancestry from Liguria, might have given me the French part.

YmssQKY.png

It also just occurred to me that as I sometimes come reasonably close to a perhaps French admixed Corsican sample, whether somewhere in the lost records for my maternal grandfather from La Spezia there might not have been such a French admixed Corsican. I

I just checked the time line. I don't see it, except for, in very early times, the circle reaches Elba.

can anyone tell which is the paternal and maternal side based on parent 1 or 2 ??

the 3 people are related
first two people are my paternal side...from Arcade Veneto and Montebelluna Veneto ............and the right side is my maternal side from castelfranco veneto

Last edited:
… maybe a Foggia VK thing:

dqY9Nre.jpg

… there are two Apps, Ancestry and AncestryDNA, … for the AncestryDNA app … :mad:

r5QFm9j.jpg

My 2022_4_19 Ancestry Update. I was having trouble accessing the site the last few days, seems like server error. My previous results were 84% Southern Italian, 12% Greek/Albanian, 2% Agean and 2% Norwegian. So clearly more Greek Albanian, which would be on my Mother's side. The 1% Ireland?, still think based on history, more likely Norman (2 previous updates had 2% Norwegian). The 2% Levant and 1% North African is in line with what I got in my first Ancestry report in August of 2019 (3% Middle East). Overall very accurate and I think is consistent with Jovialis's Italian K8 model.

7HvGseB.jpg

ie7o2u4.jpg

In spite of Ancestry excluding Salento, MyHeritage shows my ancestral presence in Lecce (Salento) since 1600 AD, … at least :)

2eBiUvu.jpg

My updated results:
View attachment 13260
They make sense. My breakdown per parent was pretty equal in contribution. One has a little bit more Balkans than the other and I suspect that is on my mother's side of the family but nothing drastic. I expected more of a difference.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 10.21.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 10.21.03 AM.png
    49.6 KB · Views: 203
can anyone tell which is the paternal and maternal side based on parent 1 or 2 ??
Hi Torzio,
Not sure if you were able to decipher this or not, or if it holds true for everyone, but my Maternal side was Parent 1 and Paternal side was side 2.

Hi Torzio,
Not sure if you were able to decipher this or not, or if it holds true for everyone, but my Maternal side was Parent 1 and Paternal side was side 2.

mine seems the same as yourself ............Parent 1 = Maternal and Parent 2 = Paternal

These are my results, which strike me as pretty damn accurate (though significantly different than last update). The only thing I would question is the assignment of the Yorkshire genetic community to Scotland rather than England.

RegionParent 1Parent 2You
Total: 1050%50%100%
Southern Italy37%0%37%
Ireland1%29%30%
Scotland0%19%19%
Greece & Albania4%0%4%
Cyprus3%0%3%
Norway0%2%2%
Aegean Islands2%0%2%
Egypt1%0%1%
Levant1%0%1%
Eastern Europe & Russia1%0%1%

DNA Communities

Your DNA connects you to 4 communities.

Communities form when we identify AncestryDNA members whose ancestors probably came from the same place or cultural group.
How this works

This thread has been viewed 58958 times.

Back