mwauthy

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Namur Belgium and Quebec Canada
Y-DNA haplogroup
I-FT213710
mtDNA haplogroup
K2a6
Ancestry DNA will be rolling out a new update in the next 2-4 weeks. It looks promising for people who have Ancestry from the old “Europe West” region. The old region is now separated into “Germanic” and “France.” Furthermore, in France there is even a “Basque” region.

How bad was ancestry admixture.....below is my first cousin results
Updated Estimate
Italy 37%
Refined from:Europe South 61%
France 35%
Refined from:Europe West 9%
Germanic Europe 19%
Greece and the Balkans 5%
Refined from: Europe South 61%
Ireland and Scotland 2%
Decreased by 9%
Spain
2% Refined from:
Iberian Peninsula 9%
New Ethnicity Estimate
Italy 37%
France 35%
Germanic Europe 19%
Ireland and Scotland 2%
Spain 2%

Migrations
Northern Italy

Ancestry DNA will be rolling out a new update in the next 2-4 weeks. It looks promising for people who have Ancestry from the old “Europe West” region. The old region is now separated into “Germanic” and “France.” Furthermore, in France there is even a “Basque” region.
That will be interesting. 25% of my ancestry comes from western/northwestern France, through Canada, yet Ancestry gives me 3% European West. They recently updated my results and informed me that nothing had changed. Is this yet another update?

That will be interesting. 25% of my ancestry comes from western/northwestern France, through Canada, yet Ancestry gives me 3% European West. They recently updated my results and informed me that nothing had changed. Is this yet another update?

2-4 weeks was misinformation. It’s been two months and my kits have still not been updated. They updated a random select few so that they could get some feedback. The update is still in beta and who knows when if ever it will be rolled out to everyone. Based on a few updated results it looks like a lot of Northern France is going to stay in the “Great Britain” category. The only difference though is that it’s now named “England and Wales.” Other areas of France look promising though. In the old update most of France south of the Loire River was assigned to “Iberian Peninsula” or “Europe South.”

How bad was ancestry admixture.....below is my first cousin results
Updated Estimate
Italy 37%
Refined from:Europe South 61%
France 35%
Germanic Europe 19%
Refined from: Europe South 61%
Ireland and Scotland 2%
Decreased by 9%
Spain
2% Refined from:
Iberian Peninsula 9%
New Ethnicity Estimate
Italy 37%
France 35%
Germanic Europe 19%
Ireland and Scotland 2%
Spain 2%

Migrations
Northern Italy

The original update was pretty poor for people with ancestry from France. My French Canadian Mom received <1% Europe West and her highest percentage was 32% Iberian Peninsula. Still waiting for the new update to see how her results might have improved.

2-4 weeks was misinformation. It’s been two months and my kits have still not been updated. They updated a random select few so that they could get some feedback. The update is still in beta and who knows when if ever it will be rolled out to everyone. Based on a few updated results it looks like a lot of Northern France is going to stay in the “Great Britain” category. The only difference though is that it’s now named “England and Wales.” Other areas of France look promising though. In the old update most of France south of the Loire River was assigned to “Iberian Peninsula” or “Europe South.”
That would explain why my Great Britain percentage is so high, 76%, too much so in my opinion. Looks like that includes all my Norman ancestors.

That would explain why my Great Britain percentage is so high, 76%, too much so in my opinion. Looks like that includes all my Norman ancestors.
My French Canadian uncle received 64% Great Britain, 21% Europe South, 10% Iberian Peninsula, and 0% Europe West. Most of his French ancestors from Normandy and Paris got assigned to Great Britain and most of his ancestors from Aunis and Poitiers got assigned to Europe South and the Iberian Peninsula.
Neither my French Canadian Mom nor my Uncle have been updated yet but I figure their Norman and Parisian ancestors will remain in “England and Wales,” and maybe their Aunis and Poitiers ancestors might move to the “France” or “Basque” categories.

My Wallonia Belgian father received 66% Europe West in the old update. It will be interesting to see how that is divided amongst “England and Wales,” “Germanic,” and “France.”

Last edited:
My French Canadian uncle received 64% Great Britain, 21% Europe South, 10% Iberian Peninsula, and 0% Europe West. Most of his French ancestors from Normandy and Paris got assigned to Great Britain and most of his ancestors from Aunis and Poitiers got assigned to Europe South and the Iberian Peninsula.
Neither my French Canadian Mom nor my Uncle have been updated yet but I figure their Norman and Parisian ancestors will remain in “England and Wales,” and maybe their Aunis and Poitiers ancestors might move to the “Fran

My Wallonia Belgian father received 66% Europe West in the old update. It will be interesting to see how that is divided amongst “England and Wales,” “Germanic,” and “France.”

I've got a bunch of Acadian ancestors, which means largely Poitou-Charente, so I'd expect to see elevated Southern European levels, but no, only about 3%.

Could someone help me understand my results? I'm Armenian from eastern Turkey and Northwestern Black Sea region. I don't understand my results at all because Europe South is way too high

Caucasus - Armenians (it shows the group I am from ) -60%
Europe South - 24%
Middle East - 15%

I did 23andme as well and the results were 100% West Asian and the dots showed
Armenia
Turkey
Iran

So is ancestrydna the glitch?

Also , are my results going to update?
I'm Armenian from eastern Turkey and Northwestern Black Sea region. I don't understand my results at all because Europe South is way too high

Europe South - 24%
Middle East - 15%

Armenia
Turkey
Iran

Also , are my results going to update?
I'm Armenian from eastern Turkey and Northwestern Black Sea region. I don't understand my results at all because Europe South is way too high

Europe South - 24%
Middle East - 15%

Armenia
Turkey
Iran

I’m just guessing here but I noticed that these companies sometimes assign backwards migration percentages to populations that share similar genes. So someone from Belgium could receive large percentages of Great Britain because the groups that ended up populating Great Britain came from the mainland and are a similar mix. This is backwards in my opinion because an English person is more likely to have ancient continental Belgian influence like with the Belgae Gaulish tribes than a Belgian person to have ancient English influence. So in my opinion it makes more sense to assign an English person “Belgian” percentages than to assign a Belgian “English” percentages.

I think the same think occurred with your “Europe South” percentage. Many Southern Italians score large West Asian or Caucuses percentages because of ancient migrations westward from the Caucasus to Southern Europe. So you share genes with them but once again it is a backwards migration labeling problem to say that your are Europe South when logically it makes more sense that Europe South has West Asian influence.

One thing I’ve noticed about these ethnicity estimates is that they don’t necessarily tell you where your ancestors are from. All they do is tell you which modern reference populations you are similar to and sometimes take some type of Oracle type of extremes to explain the in between mixture someone might be.

I could be completely wrong though lol. Maybe there was some Roman settlement in the area.

Sorry to join this thread so late. I just noticed changes in my father and mother in law's Ancestry.com DNA ethnicity estimates. Obviously it is an update, but my question is why hasn't mine or my wife's or son's been updated? Is it the beta thing mention above and they will update things in time? Just curious if anyone knows. This is my first post here.

Sorry to join this thread so late. I just noticed changes in my father and mother in law's Ancestry.com DNA ethnicity estimates. Obviously it is an update, but my question is why hasn't mine or my wife's or son's been updated? Is it the beta thing mention above and they will update things in time? Just curious if anyone knows. This is my first post here.

No official release date has been released and I have not heard of any accounts being updated recently so no one knows when if ever it might be rolled out to all. Even Ancestry customer service reps don’t know and have accounts themselves that are not updated. My friend’s account was updated over 3 months ago so it’s a bit frustrating to still not be updated myself .

The only positive thing I’ve seen is that they fixed the French Canadian problem they had in the old ethnicity estimate. I see French Canadians scoring between 85%-95% France now whereas in the old update someone like my French Canadian uncle received 0% Europe West.

Thanks for your response. I guess waiting is all we can do at this point.

All of the kits uploaded to my Ancestry account have received the update. For the kits that I "manage," none of them have been updated. I think each owner needs to login to get the update.

Mine is more accurate, dropping off phantom Iberian and correctly placing it in English/Irish. It took my 10% Scandinavian and gave me 3% Norwegian which is accurate as I have 6.5% Norwegian Ancestry on paper.

I have noticed that it is pulling a lot of German results to England/Wales. I know a family that is exactly half Irish and half German and all of them had nearly all of the German pulled to England/Wales by Ancestry.

The transition addition worked for my accounts too. I am pleased with the results especially since they added Northwestern to the labeling.

Wallonia Belgian Father:
E,W, and NW: 59%
Germanic: 31%
France: 6%
Ireland/Scotland: 4%

French Canadian Mom:
France: 93%
E,W, and NW: 7%

Me:
E,W, and NW: 50%
France: 50%

Ancestry DNA updated their results for me again:

I have to say that the results look a lot more reasonable.
BeforeAfter
47% Southern Europe62% Greece and the Balkans
31% Eastern Europe29% Eastern Europe & Russia
19% Caucasus6% Caucasus and Turkey
3% Italy

They said the update was due to 13,000 more reference samples and new algorithms.

Last edited:
This is my results before the update

41680229_10156651034627378_4847904035681861632_n.jpg

My Results after the update

41850878_10156651020692378_4666811635908739072_n.jpg

Its been months and I havent gotten any update. Is this still a thing?

Its been months and I havent gotten any update. Is this still a thing?
lol I checked today and they updated it. Seems acurate I guess.
new update

old results

This thread has been viewed 58922 times.

Back