Greece & Albania5%0%5%
Cyprus2%0%2%
Sweden & Denmark0%2%2%
Norway0%2%2%
Egypt1%0%1%
Levant1%0%1%
Eastern Europe & Russia1%0%1%

Here's mine.

Though if it is based on modern DNA, and according to known ancestry, I should come out closer to 100% "Foggia & North Bari".

I share ancestry with Greeks, but I am not literally half-Modern Greek

Interesting. Do you get matches from Benevento?

dkCACDQ.png

Here's mine.

Though if it is based on modern DNA, and according to known ancestry, I should come out closer to 100% "Foggia & North Bari".

I share ancestry with Greeks, but I am not literally half-Modern Greek

Here's an update from the last version, now I get 4% more Southern Italian, 7% less Aegean Islands, 1% more Greece & Albanian, and now 2 % Sardinia which is new.

vyq4UqT.png

From
Where are you from?
Do you have your G25 Coords?
I m half Venetian and have no community, but most my ancestors came from Belluno
paternal from Montebelluna and surrounds......volpago del montello, villorba, ponzano veneto and trevignano.

maternal from Asolo area

yes I have G25

October 2023 update :
… Sardegna is new.
7u64kFT.jpg

Last edited:
Mine didn’t change much. Wales was 8% down to 2%, Sweden and Denmark was was 4% up to 6%, Germanic Europe 6% down to 2%, Scotland 32% down from 34%, England and Northwestern Europe 49% up from 39%
IMG_1784.jpeg
IMG_1785.jpeg

Last edited:
When I consider the results of close relatives, I cannot take Ancestry.com seriously. For example, I inherit all of my Scottish ancestry from my mother. And yet she's supposedly only 1% Scottish, whereas I'm 14%. Similarly, none of my cousins on the Italian side carry the 1% Egyptian or 1% Russian that I have.

Nonetheless I present my latest results:

1696663576033.png

LoL, i m around 18% Iberian, only 3% KKKKKKKKKKK
German became England + Eastern Euro+ Part France, north italian indeed, jewish 1%, only North Italian side. I m only 3-5% French lol.
Half Venetian(7/8 + 1/8 Lombard) 0 Communities , ok like others could just trace one ancestry.

When I consider the results of close relatives, I cannot take Ancestry.com seriously. For example, I inherit all of my Scottish ancestry from my mother. And yet she's supposedly only 1% Scottish, whereas I'm 14%. Similarly, none of my cousins on the Italian side carry the 1% Egyptian or 1% Russian that I have.

Malaparte: I am not expert on Scottish or Irish DNA but genetic studies have shown those populations form 6-8 type clusters maybe that are closely related. So the 32% Irish is likely the "Scottish" ancestry that you are getting from your Mother and the 14% you are getting assigned to Scottish is just showing up in a different Cluster in Ancestry's reference populations. That 32% Irish + 14% at 4% of that other Northern Euro ancestry from a combination of Sweden/Denmark, Norway, Eastern Europe is from your Mother. The Calabrian+Greek/Albanian/Levant/Egypt/Anatolian-Caucus is from your Southern Italian (Calabrian) ancestry.

Regarding different ethnicities being inherited by different 1st cousins, the average of course is 12.5% shared among 1st cousins but each 1st cousin gets different components. So even among siblings, the ethnic components of a parent are not distributed to each child in the same proportions.

Malaparte: I am not expert on Scottish or Irish DNA but genetic studies have shown those populations form 6-8 type clusters maybe that are closely related. So the 32% Irish is likely the "Scottish" ancestry that you are getting from your Mother and the 14% you are getting assigned to Scottish is just showing up in a different Cluster in Ancestry's reference populations. That 32% Irish + 14% at 4% of that other Northern Euro ancestry from a combination of Sweden/Denmark, Norway, Eastern Europe is from your Mother. The Calabrian+Greek/Albanian/Levant/Egypt/Anatolian-Caucus is from your Southern Italian (Calabrian) ancestry.

Regarding different ethnicities being inherited by different 1st cousins, the average of course is 12.5% shared among 1st cousins but each 1st cousin gets different components. So even among siblings, the ethnic components of a parent are not distributed to each child in the same proportions.
Palermo, I have ancestry on my mother's side from both Ireland and Yorkshire. The Irish component shows up correctly, and the Yorkshire ancestry gets assigned to Scotland, Norway, Sweden & Denmark. However, my point in the post is that if I score 14% Scottish, my mother should score at least 14% Scottish.

Ireland -- I score 32%, my mother 57%
Scotland -- I score 14%, my mother 1%
Sweden & Denmark -- I score 2%, my mother 3%
Norway -- I score 2%, my mother 0%
England & NW Europe -- I score 0%, my mother 39%

Also, oddly, the 1% Russian is from my father's side, i.e., it's a Calabrian component. Perhaps a signal of slave trade in Slavs.

Palermo, I have ancestry on my mother's side from both Ireland and Yorkshire. The Irish component shows up correctly, and the Yorkshire ancestry gets assigned to Scotland, Norway, Sweden & Denmark. However, my point in the post is that if I score 14% Scottish, my mother should score at least 14% Scottish.

Also, oddly, the 1% Russian is from my father's side, i.e., it's a Calabrian component. Perhaps a signal of slave trade in Slavs.
Malaparte: Your Mother is obviously NW European from the British Isles, Sweden/Denmark and Norway can be thought of as capturing Viking/Scandinavian admixture into the British Isles. England and NW Europe is another way of saying ancestry from the British Isles. It is hard to separately measure those as those populations overlap if you were to plot them using a PCA. See the paper The Genetic Landscape of Scotland and the Isles by Wilson et al 2019 published in PNAS. Figure 1 in that paper I think indicates how the populations you are assigned to overlap. The Scottish and Irish clearly overlap. I think they clearly say you are 50% NW European and you got that from your Mothers side. SO that is 100% dead on. Look at Figure 3 with the admixture models for Ireland, Scotland and Orkney and Shetland separately modeled from the rest of Scotland. Orkney and Shetland have more Norwegian source admixture than the rest of Scotland. So from Ancestry, someone from Scotland, not from Orkney or Shetland, would be in terms of their family tree all from Scotland but the admixture components will vary across those 3 Scottish clusters.

I just looked at my Ancestry update. I get what I think one would expect for someone whose ancestors 5 generations back (64 great-great-great-great grandparents) all were living in Sicily (63 of them) + 1 in Calabria. I get 67% Southern Italian and 21% Greek-Albanian then a 9% Northern Italian signal. That is 97%. Then I get a 1% Ireland component along with 2% Levant and say 1% North African. The 1% Ireland is hard to figure out. My hypotheses are it is a Celtic signal that is part of the Northern Italian Signal or it is proxying for Norman ancestry. The 2% Levant and 1% North African is in line with what the published research shows in Sicily&Southern Italy regarding Levant and/or North African ancestry, which is on average around 4.6%[Most of that is in Sicily] per Sazzini et al 2016 (See Sazzini et al 2016 Figure 3 "Complex interplay between neutral and adaptive evolution shaped differential genomic background and disease susceptibility along the Italian peninsula).

I think as the case with estimating source ancestry from the British Isles and trying to capture Irish, Scottish, English apart from admixture coming into the British Isles from Norway/Sweden/Denmark, etc, it is hard to sometimes capture Southern Italian apart from Greek and Albanian 100%, which is why we use models to test the data to get test statistics that we can get a p-value using 5% level.

nb3d4U8.png

First result. After combing through matches, my “community” of closest matches has low levels of Aegean Islands, Balkans, East European Roma (under 10%). These consistently appear in matches (All have low levels of Eastern Europe). Some more distant matches have higher amounts, but not often. Apparently there is no clustering in my result with other regions that Ancestry uses for Greece and Albania ethnicity, like North Greece, Albania, North Macedonia. Would assume those areas have higher Balkans and Eastern Europe, and more Balkan/Albanian people in the closest matches.
IMG_5688.jpgIMG_5687.jpg

Last edited:

The major problem is that Ancestry is using samples of Ethnic Europeans living in the 21st century. My British Isles ancestry results have gotten jumbled up all over the place over the years due to the British Isles having both Celtic and Scando-Jutland ancestry; and to a lesser extent the Saxon tribes from Germany got involved in the Southern shores of the UK.

Although the DNA Communities are quite interesting. It’s nice to see how and what political forces or opportunities convinced our documented ancestors to migrate. 🤔

Attachments

• IMG_4471.png
    IMG_4471.png
    787.7 KB · Views: 70
96% southern Greek sounds like a true Greek to me.
Thanks. Was just playing around with Ancestry's tools and discovered some of my closest matches have Southeast Peloponnese, according to the company's database. Wish there was a feature where one can click on neighboring relevant subcommunities to see frequency and other data. Also just discovered my former estimate.
IMG_5694.jpgIMG_5693.jpg

Forget about all the 1%, it's pretty much crap. Anything over 5% is legit.

This thread has been viewed 58911 times.

Back