Ancestry DNA Update

My latest update from Ancestry.com ---> I am basically 1/2 Western Calabrese, 1/4 Southern Irish, 1/4 English (mid-19th c. Yorkshire ancestry plus 17th c. Quaker ancestry)

My takeaways are that (1) my English heritage is primarily Celtic as opposed to Anglo-Saxon; and (2) my Calabrese heritage must in large measure stem from Italic tribes who moved down the peninsula (judging by the 9% French & 10% Northern Italian results).

However, I am still befuddled by a 2% East Africa result that I scored on National Geographic test, and which I have seen repeated on other calculators (Eurogenes, Dodecad) using my raw data from Ancestry.com ----> therefore, I believe that there must be a very ancient and primordial signal from East Africa that exists in Southern Italy, perhaps going back to pre-Neolithic times

Here is my new results after the latest update:

DJuFMfV.png

WD42iro.png

Last edited:
Here is my update from ancestry.com, Portuguese went down by 20% higher Spanish and also got northern Italian now, cool!
CrzMaH9l.png

my new one.................I had 43% french and 26% italian in the previous

please delete

Last edited:
Please delete

Last edited:
My August 2020 Ancestry Update: My new Ancestry Results are more in line with my NAT GENO results where I get my top 2 Reference populations as 1) Italian and 2) Greek. Prior Ancestry Results were not showing any affinity with Greeks, even though NAT GENO did, MyTrueAncestry list Ancient Romans and Greeks as my top 2 Deep Dive population matches and the Coordinates that Jovialis has been producing for the Dodecad K7 show affinity with the C6 Ancient Roman Sample and Mycenaeans. I guess the 2% Norway is picking up some Norman ancestry, which was showing up in NAT GENO which gave me 7% NW Europe. I think that would be what is showing up here.

Jei7Oix.jpg

91FRizk.jpg

SBnBCSu.jpg

please delete

Last edited:
This is mine. Here are the previous estimates:
Greece & the Balkans 70%
Eastern Europe & Russia 25%
Turkey and the Caucasus 1%
Italy 2%
Baltics 1%
Malta 1%

Wonder why they don't have a more fine grained Balkan breakdown. I keep seeing a 2-5% Baltic/Scandinavian signal in FTDNA and MyHeritage also. There is something there I think.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 11.20.34.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 11.20.34.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Palermo Trapani;612960\I guess the 2% Norway is picking up some Norman ancestry said:
I would say that’s a pretty damn certain Norman signal. My mother scored 3% Norway, and she’s half Irish and roughly half Yorkshire English. I’m guessing possible Viking ancestry on both sides of her tree.
But her 3% Norway becomes my more general 3% Germanic Europe a mere generation later.
So I would wager lots of $$$ that your 3% Norway is a very strong Norman signal

My wife's.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 10.43.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 10.43.24 AM.png
    50 KB · Views: 104
I would say that’s a pretty damn certain Norman signal. My mother scored 3% Norway, and she’s half Irish and roughly half Yorkshire English. I’m guessing possible Viking ancestry on both sides of her tree.
But her 3% Norway becomes my more general 3% Germanic Europe a mere generation later.
So I would wager lots of $$$ that your 3% Norway is a very strong Norman signal

dominique_nuit: Thanks for the post. The Normans being a source of that signal was the most logical explanation to me so thanks for the corroboration.

Not sure I’d call it my “corroboration.” More like my 2 cents! I read Eupedia on fairly regular basis, but rarely have anything insightful to say about the studies (and therefore rarely comment). However, you strike me as one of the best new posters here, especially on Italian matters (which are the threads I generally read for obvious reasons).

Not sure I’d call it my “corroboration.” More like my 2 cents! I read Eupedia on fairly regular basis, but rarely have anything insightful to say about the studies (and therefore rarely comment). However, you strike me as one of the best new posters here, especially on Italian matters (which are the threads I generally read for obvious reasons).

Well I meant you corroborated my hypothesis. I think the only way to no for sure is for some DNA samples from from the period when the Normans ruled the Kingdom of Two Sicilies/Kingdom of Naples and see what the DNA signals look like. Everything South of Rome, including Abbruzzo was united, maybe parts of Molise. Pretty much from 1090 to 1190, South Italy was ruled by the King who was Norman, this occurred when the Norman Duke of Apulia united with William of Sicily, also a Norman. Here is a map of the Kingdom of Sicily at its peak power under Roger II

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norma..._Italy#/media/File:Kingdom_of_Sicily_1154.svg

Oh and thanks for appreciating me as a new poster. Much appreciated.

my new one.................I had 43% french and 26% italian in the previous

interesting..................clicking on each noted area , gives me my closest matches

for North Italy it has surnames ....Torresan and Stangherlin.......both distant relatives !!!

I think new Ancestry update is similiar to new Ftdna update.
Today Ftdna update my profile. My new 3.0 is :
Europe 98%
Southern Europe
Italian Peninsula 66%
Greece & Balkans 30%
Malta & Sicily 2%
Middle East 2%
Middle East
Southern Levant <1%
Sephardic Jewish <1%

Instead my previous Ftdna 2.0 was 94%
Southest Europe and 4% West and Central Europe.

I have also another Ftdna profile with my 23andme v5 chip transferred. Italian became 62% and Greece and balkans 35%.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200922_165812.jpg
    Screenshot_20200922_165812.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 211
  • Screenshot_20200922_165713.jpg
    Screenshot_20200922_165713.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 211
My new ancestry dna results: quite impressive and specific, I think; they got it right down to Parma (Emilia)region and Apennines mountains south of it and a strip of the northern Lunigiana. I'm sorry not to see eastern Liguria, but that may be very similar to the Lunigiana anyway.

t9yOWBh.png

E0Fpg8F.png

The French map is interesting to me: it's not Provence, the province closest to Italy and my favorite, but what looks like Languedoc/Occitaine/Auvergne/ Limousin, and Poitou? I'll have to do more exploring there. :) I've always wanted to see Poitiers in particular, and the royal tombs at the Abbey. It may be that Provence is too "southern" and/or Greek like.

41DAPu2.png

As for my small Spanish part, it looks like a central strip of Cantabria, eastern Castile and Leon,western Castilla La Mancha, Murcia, and Andalucia. It includes some of my absolutely favorite Spanish cities: Segovia, Toledo, and Burgos. I don't know the south as well. The only city I saw was Seville. I don't know if that's included.

lffxtWV.png

My new ancestry dna results: quite impressive and specific, I think; they got it right down to Parma (Emilia)region and Apennines mountains south of it and a strip of the northern Lunigiana. I'm sorry not to see eastern Liguria, but that may be very similar to the Lunigiana anyway.

t9yOWBh.png

E0Fpg8F.png

The French map is interesting to me: it's not Provence, the province closest to Italy and my favorite, but what looks like Languedoc/Occitaine/Auvergne/ Limousin, and Poitou? I'll have to do more exploring there. :) I've always wanted to see Poitiers in particular, and the royal tombs at the Abbey. It may be that Provence is too "southern" and/or Greek like.

41DAPu2.png

As for my small Spanish part, it looks like a central strip of Cantabria, eastern Castile and Leon,western Castilla La Mancha, Murcia, and Andalucia. It includes some of my absolutely favorite Spanish cities: Segovia, Toledo, and Burgos. I don't know the south as well. The only city I saw was Seville. I don't know if that's included.

lffxtWV.png
Now, that's what I'm talking about. Given your results and also torzio's, it seems a good (more accurate) calculator, at least for North Italians. It's about time! A fellow Friulano also scores almost 80% for Northern Italy plus Northeast Italy. Really great!

This thread has been viewed 58889 times.

Back