Ancestry DNA Update

The 1% Ireland?, still think based on history, more likely Norman (2 previous updates had 2% Norwegian). The 2% Levant and 1% North African is in line with what I got in my first Ancestry report in August of 2019 (3% Middle East). Overall very accurate and I think is consistent with Jovialis's Italian K8 model.

I am 30% Irish, but a 1% Irish share of my total make-up evidently comes from my Calabrese father. So I will second Palermo Trapani's guess that this is most likely a Norman trace in the Sicilian-Calabrian population.

Comparing my results with those of the other Southern Italians here -- Palermo Trapani, Salento, Jovialis -- what jumps out at me is that I score 3% Cyprus and they have none -->> but my high Cyprus score is consistent with the findings of the 2017 paper by Heraclides et al, which notes as follows -->>

Despite limited haplotype sharing, a population shows remarkable genetic affinity with Cypriots (both GCy and TCy), with evidence of non-significant genetic differentiation, indicating shared paternal ancestry in the more distant past; namely Calabrian Italians. It should be noted however that the Calabrian samples used in the current analysis were relatively small (n = 30 comparative dataset, n = 74 YHRD) and thus these results should be interpreted with caution.
If the high genetic affinity observed between Cypriots and Calabrian Italians is assumed to be true, it could be explained by the fact that South Italy has been a part of the ancient Greek world for centuries (Magna Graecia) and Calabria in particular has been settled by Achaean Greeks during the 8th and 7th cent. B.C [as Cyprus was, a few centuries back[67]]. Thus the high genetic affinity between Calabrians and Cypriots could be a result of a common ancient Greek (Achaean) genetic contribution to both populations.

The Eupedia thread on this paper can be found here == https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/34215-Y-chromosomal-analysis-of-Greek-Cypriots

This past winter, on Jovialis' test for Italian genetic inputs, I scored high in Bronze Age Anatolia relative to Minoan-like -->> and this is likely also consistent with my 3% Cyprus score

I also scored 1% Levant and 1% Egypt, but no North African

And strangely, my 1% Russia & Eastern Europe score also supposedly comes to me via my father

QlNNd28.jpg

TPEqx7q.jpg

kBZ59dm.gif
It’s surprising to me that you get 5% Balkans. I think if you check through the website (not the app) it shows you specifically which part of the Balkans.

In my case I have 11% Balkans but specifically coastal Dalmatia (Croatia) and it’s islands.

It would make sense if it’s the same case for you.
B6D582B4-BD11-4A90-9FD2-9B8E95224071.jpg

Attachments

• D8CA27A9-969E-40C9-B7AB-409EACAC9F94.jpg
    D8CA27A9-969E-40C9-B7AB-409EACAC9F94.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 170
It’s surprising to me that you get 5% Balkans. I think if you check through the website (not the app) it shows you specifically which part of the Balkans.

In my case I have 11% Balkans but specifically coastal Dalmatia (Croatia) and it’s islands.

It would make sense if it’s the same case for you.
View attachment 13266

I have no circles in the Balkans (app and site), … AncestryDNA assigned me only one Community.

hBbM2i6.png

rqHCjwg.png

Have other people here looked through the ethnicity scores of their close cousins on Ancestry?

Having done that, I must say that I don't have much confidence in the accuracy of anything outside the major ethnicity scores, as none of my cousins share my more "exotic" 1% inputs, whether Russian or Egyptian, however much fun it might be to speculate how such ancestry developed in Calabria (an escaped Russian slave from a Venetian galley? a remote connection to the Nile mosaics of Palestrina and Pompeii?)

By same token, though I am not sure if my mother's scores have been updated, Ancestry.com shows her as 33% English and 9% Scotland, and yet somehow I am 19% Scotland with zero English. This simply does not jive.

at Salento

where do you get communities

I only get this below .......................the grandmothers are correct

@Torzio … on your PC, click Ethnicity Estimate, … in the white box, scroll all the way down and click “View all DNA communities” :)

@Torzio … on your PC, click Ethnicity Estimate, … in the white box, scroll all the way down and click “View all DNA communities” :)

post # 131 is what I get ....................thanks

My wife's 44% Southern Italian, 29% Scottish and 18% English and northwest Europe for the main components. While her maternal grandmother was from Calabria, her maternal grandfather is from L' Aquila. Either no contribution from him or his family was from Southern Italy that migrated north. I did notice that the darker green highlighted area included L' Aquila while the lighter green area is definitely southern Italy including Sicily and Calabria. I guess I expected more definition.

I can't wait for my kids to do their tests. Total mongrels.

Practically zero regionalization for the Balkans.

Screenshot-20220510-222447-Chrome.jpg

My Updated results (Turkish) where does the Baltic came from ?

new map August 2022

parent 1 = maternal

parent 2 - paternal

If that's a general question, pretty satisfied. I know my genealogy on most lines back to the 1500s, and the vast majority of them are from that inner area in Italy (I recently found some information about some Florentine input, and one from Rimini far in the past, a pirate who hightailed it up to the mountains with his ill gotten gains. :)).

I'm skeptical about the French numbers. Lots of people from northern Italy migrated to France so that may be part of the reason. On the other hand, the Gauls/Celts certainly left an impact on my region. There was a reason certain of my ancestors were called Celt-Ligurians.

The inclusion of Corsica is intriguing, especially as I get a few very good Corsican matches. Of course, Corsica was heavily settled by people from Toscana and Liguria. Indeed, the earliest evidence of land owned by the Buonaparte family is in a hamlet directly across the Magra from me. So, is that the reason? Or, on one of my spotty maternal Ligurian lines is there a Corsican? Or are my Corsican matches partly French?

UcDGTBc.png

Last edited:
Are you satisfied with your updated results?

Yes....I do not see any issue really.......except following my family tree and BDM records.....my mother has no French line, but has a small eastern swiss line .................my father has a french line , but it is only from 1910 to present in Toulouse and Montpelier areas ( found another living line 2 weeks ago )................but has a BDM line ( although not direct ) with the french area of Vosges, Grand Est and its neighbour Saarland Germany from about the year 1600

So I do not know if ancestry is using some form of MyHeritage data as they ( MH ) where the only ones that found those areas that I noted above

I am surprised I lost scotland and the balkans ..........as MH still notes that I have them ( though MH has not updated me for 4 years)

For me ...It is interesting that the new Germany area includes Netherlands and the April version did not

Upd…

ZOrzSgS.jpg

9zVkYx2.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 16.27.25.png

My new results. They are getting back to where I think I should be.

This thread has been viewed 58958 times.

Back