Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: Genealogy website used to track down ‘Golden State Killer’ suspect

Genealogy website used to track down ‘Golden State Killer’ suspect

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.83f3881dbd8f

Didn't 23andme recently allow uploading raw data files to find DNA relatives?

https://familyhistorydaily.com/genea...ncestry-report

All the FBI would have to do is sequence someone's DNA, convert the file to the AncestryDNA format, upload it to 23andme, and get a bunch of cousin matches. Arguably unethical, but I don't think too many people will cry about it when they use it for the high profile cases.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - SK1480
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

Ethnic group
    Italian

Genealogy website used to track down ‘Golden State Killer’ suspect

Fox News said that the Authority found the Killer by comparing his DNA with the Public Data on Gedmatch.
    No abuse of privacy took place and a Search Warrant wasn’t needed.

“.... Authorities' biggest tools was GEDMatch, a Florida-based website that pools DNA profiles that people upload and share publicly, Paul Holes, one of the team’s top officials, told the Mercury News on Friday. ...”
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/27...ting-site.html

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945..Jura
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a1 ..Pannoni

Ethnic group
    North Alpine Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Expredel View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.83f3881dbd8f
    Didn't 23andme recently allow uploading raw data files to find DNA relatives?
    https://familyhistorydaily.com/genea...ncestry-report
    All the FBI would have to do is sequence someone's DNA, convert the file to the AncestryDNA format, upload it to 23andme, and get a bunch of cousin matches. Arguably unethical, but I don't think too many people will cry about it when they use it for the high profile cases.
    not against the law to obtain dna samples from every person who enters prison in Australia, no privacy issues either ...............there more privacy issues in presenting your birth, death and marriage certificates then DNA IMO
    có che un pòpoło no 'l defende pi ła só łéngua el xe prónto par èser s'ciavo

when a people no longer dares to defend its language it is ripe for slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by Sile View Post
    not against the law to obtain dna samples from every person who enters prison in Australia, no privacy issues either ...............there more privacy issues in presenting your birth, death and marriage certificates then DNA IMO
    Same for the USA. Hopefully they'll get pretty efficient at rounding up rapists.

According to the associated press they used ysearch.org

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wi...-case-54780876

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945..Jura
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a1 ..Pannoni

Ethnic group
    North Alpine Italian

Same for the USA. Hopefully they'll get pretty efficient at rounding up rapists.

According to the associated press they used ysearch.org

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wi...-case-54780876
    they also take blood samples from newborn to see if there are any medical issues......but also for future paternity issues in divorces .......database for blood types, and many more........in the end their will be no privacy issues in regards to DNA

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

Why would that be unethical? If it helps catch dangerous criminals, it is the definition of ethical, is it not?
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    Why would that be unethical? If it helps catch dangerous criminals, it is the definition of ethical, is it not?
    Accessing a DNA database in violation of the user agreement should require a court order. GEDmatch's user agreement is a bit of a gray area, but it appears to allow the use of the site for criminal investigations.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1 Z63*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5b1

Ethnic group
    Basically British

Accessing a DNA database in violation of the user agreement should require a court order. GEDmatch's user agreement is a bit of a gray area, but it appears to allow the use of the site for criminal investigations.
    They are probably searching against public kits. All of mine can be matched by anybody for any reason. You don't have to upload it if you want it private.

Is there info that says they used non-public kits?
    Administrator of the Young Family Project
    Genetic genealogy enthusiast

Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish

Quote Originally Posted by I1a3_Young View Post
    They are probably searching against public kits. All of mine can be matched by anybody for any reason. You don't have to upload it if you want it private.

Is there info that says they used non-public kits?
    You could be right. When a person decides to have a kit out in public, he/she should be aware of the risks.
    mmmmmmmmm dooouuughhhnuuuutz