Subsaharian ancestry in Spaniard, noise?

vivna

Reaction score
Good morning,

I am a Spaniard who took 23andme DNA test and it appears i have 0'5 subsaharian ancestry. I first thought it was just noice, the thing is my mother took the test and she has 1'1 percent also of Subsaharian ancestry. Would that confirm i maybe have some subsaharian ancestry?

Thanks for your help :)

Anything below 2% can possibility be noise amigo it depends on how common it shows up in gedmatch. But hopefully you would get your answer

should not be a surprise if you have it! Spain is in close proximity with North Africa. North Africans are in average 10% Subsaharan

Good morning,

I am a Spaniard who took 23andme DNA test and it appears i have 0'5 subsaharian ancestry. I first thought it was just noice, the thing is my mother took the test and she has 1'1 percent also of Subsaharian ancestry. Would that confirm i maybe have some subsaharian ancestry?

Thanks for your help :)

Those levels are not very relevant for 23andme.
Do you have ancestry from Canarias? If not, I wouldn't waste much time with it, some Iberians score noise-levels MENA and SSA in that test. Canarians, however, seem to have inflated (and more recent) North African ancestry which might increase these values

I've seen British scoring 0.7 SSA on 23andme and we have to say that anything below 2 percent is highly likely to be noise especially when it doesn't show on other dna tests.

This thread has been viewed 4163 times.

Back