Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Spring has Sprung! What flowers are in bloom in your area?

  1. #1
    Regular Member Wheal's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-09-17
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    358

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    Pat-U106-H11a10
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5a1b

    Ethnic group
    a true mutt
    Country: USA - Illinois



    Spring has Sprung! What flowers are in bloom in your area?



    One of my loves in spring is planting around 300 bedding plants in my yard. Sounds like a bunch? I'm happy with that number, I used to plant up to 800 bedding plants, but have replaced many with perennials.

    In our area, the redbuds are in full bloom and the dogwood are just popping. The hills and parks along the Mississippi are gorgeous with light green in the background of the red and white tree blooms. I also noticed my lilac is beginning to show more than a hint of color.

    Over the past few days, I've planted about 240 (10 trays) of bright red impatiens to border all of my beds across the front, side and back of my house. I've also planted about 30 petunias and have several double begonias.

  2. #2
    Advisor Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    18,969


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheal View Post
    One of my loves in spring is planting around 300 bedding plants in my yard. Sounds like a bunch? I'm happy with that number, I used to plant up to 800 bedding plants, but have replaced many with perennials.

    In our area, the redbuds are in full bloom and the dogwood are just popping. The hills and parks along the Mississippi are gorgeous with light green in the background of the red and white tree blooms. I also noticed my lilac is beginning to show more than a hint of color.

    Over the past few days, I've planted about 240 (10 trays) of bright red impatiens to border all of my beds across the front, side and back of my house. I've also planted about 30 petunias and have several double begonias.
    I'm jealous. I used to line my whole house with them too, but I haven't been able to get any for a while. I also scaled back in favor of perennials and roses. It just became too much.

    As for what's in bloom, it's always the forsythia first, of course, then the ornamental cherry and apple trees. I debated getting a magnolia tree, which some of my neighbors have, but they last such a brief period and then make such a mess, so settled for the cherry, apple and dogwood.






    The bulbs are up too, and the hostas and other perennials are about half way out of the ground.

    The front of my house is lined with rhododendron bushes, and they're finally doing nicely too.

    It's very late. I'm going to buy my annuals tomorrow.

    Btw, this last week end was the Cherry Tree Festival at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden. It's a pain in the you know what to get there, but I still do it every year. It's so gorgeous.



    They also have a lovely Japanese garden...very tranquil.



    Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

  3. #3
    Regular Member Wheal's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-09-17
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    358

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    Pat-U106-H11a10
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5a1b

    Ethnic group
    a true mutt
    Country: USA - Illinois



    I think I am jealous too. I was in DC for the cherry blossoms a few years ago. They are so beautiful. The botanic garden is really gorgeous. I'm in a small town so we don't have one here, but I am able to visit the one in St. Louis, and used to have monthly meetings there for the rose society.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Wheal's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-09-17
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    358

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    Pat-U106-H11a10
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5a1b

    Ethnic group
    a true mutt
    Country: USA - Illinois



    Louisiana is gorgeous too for the azalea bloom.

  5. #5
    Advisor Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    18,969


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    Quote Originally Posted by Wheal View Post
    I think I am jealous too. I was in DC for the cherry blossoms a few years ago. They are so beautiful. The botanic garden is really gorgeous. I'm in a small town so we don't have one here, but I am able to visit the one in St. Louis, and used to have monthly meetings there for the rose society.
    One of my favorite things to do in my own yard, but even better at one of our botanical gardens is to lie on the grass and look up at the branches literally bending with the weight of the blossoms. It's just magic. :)

    Yes, this area is famous for both rhododendrons and azaleas too, both of which are all over my property. It's because we have a micro-climate from being surrounded by ocean on three sides.

    This park is very close to me and I'm a member. I can just drop in for an hour or two at lunchtime or in the morning. It's heaven.


    Kudos to you for still growing roses. I gave up after a few years I'm ashamed to say. It was so much work, and something or other always seemed to go wrong with them. I love the scent of "Old Roses" (as improved by genetics), even if they get blowsy, so I put in David Austin roses. They've turned out to be rather indestructible and last so long, but I still miss my "real" roses. I also love my white peony bush even if staking it is a nightmare, and I have a lot of shade near one part of my patio and I have pots and pots of tuberous begonias. You can tell I like showy, brightly colored flowers. :) In my defense my house is a brick Tudor and needs to be brightened up.





    When I leave, the biggest wrench will be leaving my garden.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Wheal's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-09-17
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    358

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    Pat-U106-H11a10
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5a1b

    Ethnic group
    a true mutt
    Country: USA - Illinois



    I love peonies too. I have 4, but they don't do well. I think they don't get enough sun. I have them in front of crepe myrtle, which tends to be filled out just as the peonies need the sun.

    I have so many flowers, I worry I won't be able to sell my house because of the potential work. But with perennials, it's not that bad. Just a bit of ground oak leaves over the top when we rake the yard and then rake out the dead in the spring.

    And I really understand leaving the old behind. When we bought the house we are in, I had to leave all of my lily of the valley behind. This house didn't have a good location for transplanting some of it. We will be moving to Dallas, TX in a few years. I'll have to relearn all the varieties that do well.

    We have a garden here in town, the Nan Elliott Rose Garden, https://www.cityofaltonil.com/page/the-rose-garden/ , we were able to get it recognized as a national rose garden when I was president of the local National Rose Society chapter. But I don't have many roses anymore. I didn't have the time anymore and my sons needed the yard space for baseball, rope climbing, etc. But the miniatures make a wonderful driveway border and require less attention.

  7. #7
    Advisor Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    18,969


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheal View Post
    I love peonies too. I have 4, but they don't do well. I think they don't get enough sun. I have them in front of crepe myrtle, which tends to be filled out just as the peonies need the sun.

    I have so many flowers, I worry I won't be able to sell my house because of the potential work. But with perennials, it's not that bad. Just a bit of ground oak leaves over the top when we rake the yard and then rake out the dead in the spring.

    And I really understand leaving the old behind. When we bought the house we are in, I had to leave all of my lily of the valley behind. This house didn't have a good location for transplanting some of it. We will be moving to Dallas, TX in a few years. I'll have to relearn all the varieties that do well.

    We have a garden here in town, the Nan Elliott Rose Garden, https://www.cityofaltonil.com/page/the-rose-garden/ , we were able to get it recognized as a national rose garden when I was president of the local National Rose Society chapter. But I don't have many roses anymore. I didn't have the time anymore and my sons needed the yard space for baseball, rope climbing, etc. But the miniatures make a wonderful driveway border and require less attention.
    What a lovely rose garden. Now that I know you also found them too much work, I don't feel so bad. :)

    I still have too many annuals for most people probably. I've been planting for more than two days, although a lot of that has been pot planting; I have them all over the patio and the front steps. I do think about what potential buyers will think even about the perennial garden. On the other hand, when my friend across the street sold her house two years ago, they just dug out her garden and turned it into grass in the blink of an eye. Barbarians!

  8. #8
    Princess davef's Avatar
    Join Date
    19-06-16
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,239


    Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish
    Country: USA - New York



    Glad I can do outside running again, even with all the pollen in the air
    mmmmmmmmm dooouuughhhnuuuutz

  9. #9
    Regular Member Wheal's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-09-17
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    358

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    Pat-U106-H11a10
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5a1b

    Ethnic group
    a true mutt
    Country: USA - Illinois



    @davef, I have never been a runner, but I love to walk. We try to walk somewhere around 5 miles daily. My husband and I are leaving this afternoon for a weekend of camping and hiking in Missouri. I hope to get in 25 miles on rugged terrain.

  10. #10
    Princess davef's Avatar
    Join Date
    19-06-16
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,239


    Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish
    Country: USA - New York



    Quote Originally Posted by Wheal View Post
    @davef, I have never been a runner, but I love to walk. We try to walk somewhere around 5 miles daily. My husband and I are leaving this afternoon for a weekend of camping and hiking in Missouri. I hope to get in 25 miles on rugged terrain.
    That sounds good! Yes, there are many ways to strengthen your heart, not just through running. Do what works for you and keep at it

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •