Share your MyHeritage DNA Ethnicity Estimates

Given the results of Azzurro, I wonder if MyHeritage uses reference samples from South Italy too or just from North and perhaps Central Italy. My parents are North Italian in ancestry, and we get a substantial Italian % in this calculator (between 40 and 60%).

Mine – FTDNA data

Europe: 100.0%
*South Europe: 55.0%
- Italian: 49.9%
- Greek: 5.1%
*North and West Europe: 30.9%
- Irish, Scottish, and Welsh: 30.9%
*East Europe: 14.1%
- Balkan: 14.1%

Mine – 23andMe data

*South Europe: 57.4%
- Italian: 56.3%
- Iberian: 1.1%
*North and West Europe: 27.3%
- Irish, Scottish, and Welsh: 27.3%
*East Europe: 15.3%
- Balkan: 15.3%

Father – 23andMe data

*South Europe: 59.3%
- Italian: 57.2%
- Iberian: 2.1%
*East Europe: 22.2%
- Balkan: 22.2%
*North and West Europe: 18.5%
- Irish, Scottish, and Welsh: 18.5%

Mother – 23andMe data

*East Europe: 45.3%
- Balkan: 45.3%
*South Europe: 42.5%
- Italian: 41.1%
- Iberian: 1.4%
*North and West Europe: 12.2%
- North and West European: 10.4%
- Irish, Scottish, and Welsh: 1.8%

These results resemble a bit our DNA Land's.

I agree with this as I get 70% italian and father 56% ( 21% in 23andme )

I am curious to know as well, I doubt MyHeritage uses Southern Italians in their reference population for Italy, I have several matches that score zero Italian like me or lower than 10%.

maybe they use south italian as Greek with albania like natgeno does

maybe they use south italian as Greek with albania like natgeno does
NatGeo Helix doesn’t.

BbvCbYj_d.jpg

NatGeo Helix updated also my Primary Ref. Pop.:
1 Tuscan (Italy)

aJQuNyY_d.jpg

@Jovialis you should check their website too !

Ave Cesare

Last edited:
Could it be also the other way around that myheritage confuses Jewish dna with Italian dna? because i get 23 percent Italian and 1 percent Sardinian dna, although we do not know of Italian ancestry in our family, only German, Jewish and Russian. This is more reflected in certain calculators on gedmatch but not on myheritage. Also on gedmatch i dont have so much Eastern European dna. Im new to dna and dont understand why there are so many different results.

anyway here are my results from myheritage:

Eastern Europe: 42,2 %
North and Westeurope: 33,5 %
Italian: 23,1 %
Sardinian 1,2 %

I heard that Ashkenazi Jewish and Italian or even Greek dna is very close.
Wouldnt it then make more sense to call this dna simply "Mediterranean" instead of Italian or Jewish?

my brother (same father, same mother) made a test on ftdna and we transfered it to myheritage to see the difference. its so different.

my brother gets:

North and Westeurope 45 %
England 5 %
Finnland 3,9 %
Balkan 22,6 %
Eastern Europe 21,3 %
Iberian 2,2 %

how can this be explained? it seems to me that the calculators cant really identify our mediterranean dna with certainty.

myheritage gives me:
Europe 100%
North & West Europe 98.2%
English 54.6%
Scandinavian 27.8%
Irish, Scots and Welsh 12.8%
Finnish 3%
Southern Europe, Italian 1.8%

I don't understand why they have given me 27.8% Scandinavian. I only get <1% on ancestry and <2% on ftdna.

my results

Europe 63%: Italian 22.9%,
Iberian 16.2%
Irish, Scottish, Welsh 12.4%
Northwest Europe: 11.5%

America 24.9%: Central America 22.9%
South America (Amazonia) 2%

Middle East 6.7%

Western Asia 4.4%

East Africa 1%

FTDNA

Europe 73%: South East Europe 32%
British Isles 19%
Iberia 13%

New World 19% North and Central America 14%
South America 5%

Middle East 3% Eastern Middle East 3%

Traces Ashkenazi Jew <2%
North Africa <2%
West Africa <2%
South Central Africa <1%

One of the things that surprised me most is the difference in my American components. I believe that the Central American population considered in My Heritage is mestizo, so it does not only contain Native American components, but also European and African ones, which could alter certain percentages. I believe that to be more useful, the American populations considered should only be native .

All right, I uploaded my 23andMe data to MyHeritage. And this is what I got. North and West Europe 67.8% (Irish Scottish and Welsh 27.7%, Scandinavian 25.5%, English 14.6%). South Europe 19.7% (Iberian 10.5%, Greek 9.2%). Balkan 12.5%. DOES THIS GUY LOOK 25% SCANDINAVIAN?!?!?!View attachment 10419

Does anybody know if there is a QUALITY Difference between the free download and a Paid Test?
Is the free download Flawed?

Myheritage DNA results kit 1, uploaded from AncestryDNA:

59% Greek
33% Balkan
5.1% Scandinavian
2.9% Ashkenazi Jew

Kit 2 uploaded from Living DNA:

56.4% Greek
35.2% Balkan
6.6% Scandinavian
1.8% Ashkenazi Jew

Ancestry DNA results (DNA)

62% Greece/Albania/Turkey
29% Eastern Europe and Russia
6% Turkey/Caucasus
3% Italy

It seems there is broad agreement in the major components of my ancestry.

cQgLW7N.png

These are my results. I uploaded my 23andme raw data nearly a year ago, but now I guess they were able to convert the V5 version to be compatible with their calculator.

Clearly their centrum for "Italian" is more northern, and the rest I get is probably pulled towards "Greek" from that centrum. Personally, I think the current version of AncestryDNA may be best for southern Italians. Considering they have sub-populations dedicated to specific southern Italian regions.

cQgLW7N.png

These are my results. I uploaded my 23andme raw data nearly a year ago, but now I guess they were able to convert the V5 version to be compatible with their calculator.

Clearly their centrum for "Italian" is more northern, and the rest I get is probably pulled towards "Greek" from that centrum. Personally, I think the current version of AncestryDNA may be best for southern Italians. Considering they have sub-populations dedicated to specific southern Italian regions.

MyHeritage assigns results similar to yours to almost all Apulians.
I presumed that the results I saw came from the old free-upload.
I would like to know if paying for the test increases the quality of the results.

MyHeritage assigns results similar to yours to almost all Apulians.
I presumed that the results I saw came from the old free-upload.
I would like to know if paying for the test increases the quality of the results.

I don't know, my cousin did it, and his results were really off to say the least. I'd save my money on this one.

I don't know, my cousin did it, and his results were really off to say the least. I'd save my money on this one.

Yeah, we should wait until they do a decent update.

Sometimes, outdated(?) calculators, give me this kind of results.
This might be similar to what MyHeritage uses. :)

4D0mfYU.jpg

Sometimes, outdated(?) calculators, give me this kind of results.
This might be similar to what MyHeritage uses. :)
4D0mfYU.jpg
mine is always been 70% italian, the others are only balkans and ireland roughly at 15% each ......no issue really
but of my first 9 DNA matches ......I have confirmed 8 , even a Benetton in Belgium and another in Trentino ......others are in veneto and Friuli
As long as I only check the "medium confidence" , and not the "low confidence" , this site makes me happy

mine is always been 70% italian, the others are only balkans and ireland roughly at 15% each ......no issue really
but of my first 9 DNA matches ......I have confirmed 8 , even a Benetton in Belgium and another in Trentino ......others are in veneto and Friuli
As long as I only check the "medium confidence" , and not the "low confidence" , this site makes me happy

As Pugliesi Jovialis and I, both get 79% Italian, and Puglia as the Region on AncestryDNA, and others too.
Regionally speaking, I was saying that imo, MyHeritage has gaps in the Genetic Map of the IT Peninsula.

I didn't Test with MyHeritage, because I've seen other results of people of my region, and I immediately understood that this company it’s not completely up to speed (yet).

57,3% Greek
16,9% Balkan
6,5% Baltıc
4,9% South Asia
4,0% North African
2,7% Japanese
2,2% Central Asia
2,1% West Asia
1,9% Eskimo
1,5% Middle East

[deleted my own results]

Sorry, hadn't actually read the opening post. Here're my mother's results (her 4 grandparents come from France: 3 from Champagne-Ardennes - 1 from haute-Savoie):

[FONT=&quot]Europe 93.6%

Northern and Western Europe 58.8%

-> English 40.0%[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-> Irish, Scottish, Welsh 17.9%[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]--> Finnish 0.9%[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Eastern Europe 24.6%
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]--> Eastern Europe 13.5%[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]--> Balkan 11.1%[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Southern Europe 10.2%
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]---> Italian 10.2%[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Africa 6.4%
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]---> [/FONT][FONT=&quot]North Africa 5.5%[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]---> Nigerian 0.9%[/FONT]

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 49333 times.

Back