Woman with a Y chromosome.

woman_of_the_world

Reaction score
I just read an interesting post on how 23andMe reported Y haplogroup analysis in the report of a person who always knew that she is a biological woman. Any thoughts about this? I was thinking about genetic mosaicism and androgen insensitivity syndrome.

I just read an interesting post on how 23andMe reported Y haplogroup analysis in the report of a person who always knew that she is a biological woman. Any thoughts about this? I was thinking about genetic mosaicism and androgen insensitivity syndrome.

If “she” has a Y-DNA haplogroup (and therefore a Y chromosome), then “she” is genetically male period. In that case, it would be more accurate to say “she” thought that “she” was a biological woman.

Mental illness doesnt change your biological reality.

Y Haplogroup: I2(I-S17250)
mtDNA: U5b2a

Mental illness doesnt change your biological reality.

There are some people who been raised and lived the life of a woman, completely undetected till they don't get their period in puberty, perhaps till they get married and wanted children, what will you say to those people?

Dress and act now like a man, go to the gym and stick a beard on?

People who have an sort of Intersex/DSD cannot change their appearance and Neuro-Physiology, because some uneducated people fearing of been cheated by people with an “metal illness”.

They will never reach the phenotypical status of a full biological male, to tell them they should try, makes them to clowns in our society.

Its hard enough, that for the most, they cant become pregnant and their gonads had been removed early in childhood, so that they have no chance to reproduce via sperm, what sometimes is possible.

Google for AIS Women. There are people who have been raised as male with that condition and milder variants too. They will always look girly, feminized, often their puberty does not complete and they get breasts and no beard, female voice.

There are some people who been raised and lived the life of a woman, completely undetected till they don't get their period in puberty, perhaps till they get married and wanted children, what will you say to those people?

Dress and act now like a man, go to the gym and stick a beard on?

People who have an sort of Intersex/DSD cannot change their appearance and Neuro-Physiology, because some uneducated people fearing of been cheated by people with an “metal illness”.

They will never reach the phenotypical status of a full biological male, to tell them they should try, makes them to clowns in our society.

Its hard enough, that for the most, they cant become pregnant and their gonads had been removed early in childhood, so that they have no chance to reproduce via sperm, what sometimes is possible.

Google for AIS Women. There are people who have been raised as male with that condition and milder variants too. They will always look girly, feminized, often their puberty does not complete and they get breasts and no beard, female voice.

I was going to say exactly this, but you explained it so much better. Apparently, the endless aliance of prejudice with plain ignorance about matters such as genetics never ceases to be confirmed by us.

One thing that intrigued (and arguably puzzled) me is the fact that I’ve seen SRY-positive XX males on 23andme (AKA XX males carrying translocated Y genetic material on either their paternal X or their autosomes) who despite their Y related genes got still reported as “female” by 23andme (i.e., no Y-DNA haplogroup + “female-like” X raw data). Does anybody here know why is that?

One thing that intrigued (and arguably puzzled) me is the fact that I’ve seen SRY-positive XX males on 23andme (AKA XX males carrying translocated Y genetic material on either their paternal X or their autosomes) who despite their Y related genes got still reported as “female” by 23andme (i.e., no Y-DNA haplogroup + “female-like” X raw data). Does anybody here know why is that?

It's easy to explain. SRY is only one gene on the Y chromosome. Even if that gene, which determines gender, were to be translocated to the X chromosome, all the rest of the Y-DNA would still be missing and therefore it wouldn't be possible to assign a Y-DNA haplogroup. We could imagine that if the father belonged to a Y-DNA haplogroup defined by a SRY mutation (in Europe that's pretty much just R1a1 and R1b-SRY2627), then it should be possible to determine that haplogroup with only the SRY on the X chromosome, but not the deeper clade after that.

As far as i know:

Because the testing companies asking you before you do the test what is your Sex or Gender, and if you don't choose “male” they wont test your Y chromosome, if you don't choose “female” they don't test both X chromosomes.

They do not test if a person has more than 2 gonosomes, its not part of the service regularly.
They don't test androgene receptor repeats or important autosomal SNPs which can tell if you have some sort of DSD/Intersex.

If you want the change your gender in your profile, you have to ask the company. And some people don't care about.

It's easy to explain. SRY is only one gene on the Y chromosome. Even if that gene, which determines gender, were to be translocated to the X chromosome, all the rest of the Y-DNA would still be missing and therefore it wouldn't be possible to assign a Y-DNA haplogroup. We could imagine that if the father belonged to a Y-DNA haplogroup defined by a SRY mutation (in Europe that's pretty much just R1a1 and R1b-SRY2627), then it should be possible to determine that haplogroup with only the SRY on the X chromosome, but not the deeper clade after that.

Many of these guys have fathers who are either R1b or R1a yet they still get reported as “female”. How come? BTW, what other haplogroups are defined by a SRY mutation? Also, is it safe to say that a full Y chromosome is needed for a paternal haplogroup assigment?

Because the testing companies asking you before you do the test what is your Sex or Gender, and if you don't choose “male” they wont test your Y chromosome, if you don't choose “female” they don't test both X chromosomes.

Wrong. Hence the reason why transgenders and/or intersex people are easily spotted by 23andme regardless of the gender they’ve chosen.

This thread has been viewed 8965 times.

Back