Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: Woman with a Y chromosome.

Regular Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Overall activity: 1.0%

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Woman with a Y chromosome.

I just read an interesting post on how 23andMe reported Y haplogroup analysis in the report of a person who always knew that she is a biological woman. Any thoughts about this? I was thinking about genetic mosaicism and androgen insensitivity syndrome.

Landlord Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsThree FriendsVeteran

Level
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 263
    Overall activity: 0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1a1
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1

Ethnic group
    1/4 Sephardic 3/4 Ashkenazi

Quote Originally Posted by woman_of_the_world View Post
    I just read an interesting post on how 23andMe reported Y haplogroup analysis in the report of a person who always knew that she is a biological woman. Any thoughts about this? I was thinking about genetic mosaicism and androgen insensitivity syndrome.
    If “she” has a Y-DNA haplogroup (and therefore a Y chromosome), then “she” is genetically male period. In that case, it would be more accurate to say “she” thought that “she” was a biological woman.

3 months registered500 Experience Points

Mental illness doesnt change your biological reality.

Y Haplogroup: I2(I-S17250)
    mtDNA: U5b2a

1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5a1a

Ethnic group
    Germanic

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leandros View Post
    Mental illness doesnt change your biological reality.
    There are some people who been raised and lived the life of a woman, completely undetected till they don't get their period in puberty, perhaps till they get married and wanted children, what will you say to those people?

Dress and act now like a man, go to the gym and stick a beard on?

People who have an sort of Intersex/DSD cannot change their appearance and Neuro-Physiology, because some uneducated people fearing of been cheated by people with an “metal illness”.

They will never reach the phenotypical status of a full biological male, to tell them they should try, makes them to clowns in our society.

Its hard enough, that for the most, they cant become pregnant and their gonads had been removed early in childhood, so that they have no chance to reproduce via sperm, what sometimes is possible.

Google for AIS Women. There are people who have been raised as male with that condition and milder variants too. They will always look girly, feminized, often their puberty does not complete and they get breasts and no beard, female voice.

Moderator Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second ClassThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Most Popular

Level
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 949
    Overall activity: 5.0%

Ethnic group
    Multiracial Brazilian

Quote Originally Posted by Doggerland View Post
    There are some people who been raised and lived the life of a woman, completely undetected till they don't get their period in puberty, perhaps till they get married and wanted children, what will you say to those people?

Dress and act now like a man, go to the gym and stick a beard on?

People who have an sort of Intersex/DSD cannot change their appearance and Neuro-Physiology, because some uneducated people fearing of been cheated by people with an “metal illness”.

They will never reach the phenotypical status of a full biological male, to tell them they should try, makes them to clowns in our society.

Its hard enough, that for the most, they cant become pregnant and their gonads had been removed early in childhood, so that they have no chance to reproduce via sperm, what sometimes is possible.

Google for AIS Women. There are people who have been raised as male with that condition and milder variants too. They will always look girly, feminized, often their puberty does not complete and they get breasts and no beard, female voice.
    I was going to say exactly this, but you explained it so much better. Apparently, the endless aliance of prejudice with plain ignorance about matters such as genetics never ceases to be confirmed by us.

Tagger Second ClassThree Friends1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 396
    Overall activity: 12.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Pat-U106-H-e1a4b2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5a1b

Ethnic group
    a true mutt

Mutaghalliba Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 218

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-BY139812
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Ethnic group
    Arab

There is a gonosomal phenomen (Complete Androgen Insensitivity Syndrom) in which people despite having a Y-chromosome are born as a "woman". In such cases (as the name already says) the androgen receptors are not functioning properly, thus testosterone which their body produces is transformed to female estrogene (-> physical appeareance of a woman). However, because they do not have ovaries nor an uterus, they do not get their period during puberty. Sometimes only at that point this syndrom is "realized".

Mutaghalliba Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 218

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-BY139812
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Ethnic group
    Arab

No. This is the case when a person has beside her 2 X chromosomes another Y chromosome.

Landlord Achievements:

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1a1
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1

Ethnic group

One thing that intrigued (and arguably puzzled) me is the fact that I’ve seen SRY-positive XX males on 23andme (AKA XX males carrying translocated Y genetic material on either their paternal X or their autosomes) who despite their Y related genes got still reported as “female” by 23andme (i.e., no Y-DNA haplogroup + “female-like” X raw data). Does anybody here know why is that?

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

Quote Originally Posted by Power77 View Post
    One thing that intrigued (and arguably puzzled) me is the fact that I’ve seen SRY-positive XX males on 23andme (AKA XX males carrying translocated Y genetic material on either their paternal X or their autosomes) who despite their Y related genes got still reported as “female” by 23andme (i.e., no Y-DNA haplogroup + “female-like” X raw data). Does anybody here know why is that?
    It's easy to explain. SRY is only one gene on the Y chromosome. Even if that gene, which determines gender, were to be translocated to the X chromosome, all the rest of the Y-DNA would still be missing and therefore it wouldn't be possible to assign a Y-DNA haplogroup. We could imagine that if the father belonged to a Y-DNA haplogroup defined by a SRY mutation (in Europe that's pretty much just R1a1 and R1b-SRY2627), then it should be possible to determine that haplogroup with only the SRY on the X chromosome, but not the deeper clade after that.
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5a1a

Ethnic group
    Germanic

Quote Originally Posted by Power77 View Post

As far as i know:

Because the testing companies asking you before you do the test what is your Sex or Gender, and if you don't choose “male” they wont test your Y chromosome, if you don't choose “female” they don't test both X chromosomes.

They do not test if a person has more than 2 gonosomes, its not part of the service regularly.
    They don't test androgene receptor repeats or important autosomal SNPs which can tell if you have some sort of DSD/Intersex.

If you want the change your gender in your profile, you have to ask the company. And some people don't care about.

Landlord Achievements:

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1a1
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1

Ethnic group

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    It's easy to explain. SRY is only one gene on the Y chromosome. Even if that gene, which determines gender, were to be translocated to the X chromosome, all the rest of the Y-DNA would still be missing and therefore it wouldn't be possible to assign a Y-DNA haplogroup. We could imagine that if the father belonged to a Y-DNA haplogroup defined by a SRY mutation (in Europe that's pretty much just R1a1 and R1b-SRY2627), then it should be possible to determine that haplogroup with only the SRY on the X chromosome, but not the deeper clade after that.
    Many of these guys have fathers who are either R1b or R1a yet they still get reported as “female”. How come? BTW, what other haplogroups are defined by a SRY mutation? Also, is it safe to say that a full Y chromosome is needed for a paternal haplogroup assigment?

Landlord Achievements:

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1a1
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1

Ethnic group

Quote Originally Posted by Doggerland View Post
    Because the testing companies asking you before you do the test what is your Sex or Gender, and if you don't choose “male” they wont test your Y chromosome, if you don't choose “female” they don't test both X chromosomes.
    Wrong. Hence the reason why transgenders and/or intersex people are easily spotted by 23andme regardless of the gender they’ve chosen.