Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Woman with a Y chromosome.

  1. #1
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class3 months registered500 Experience Points

    Join Date
    16-02-18
    Posts
    10
    Points
    693
    Level
    6
    Points: 693, Level: 6
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Overall activity: 1.0%


    Country: USA - New York



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

    Woman with a Y chromosome.

    I just read an interesting post on how 23andMe reported Y haplogroup analysis in the report of a person who always knew that she is a biological woman. Any thoughts about this? I was thinking about genetic mosaicism and androgen insensitivity syndrome.

  2. #2
    Landlord Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsThree FriendsVeteran

    Join Date
    11-05-14
    Location
    Da Great White North
    Posts
    87
    Points
    4,387
    Level
    19
    Points: 4,387, Level: 19
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 263
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1a1
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1

    Ethnic group
    1/4 Sephardic 3/4 Ashkenazi
    Country: Canada-Ontario



    Quote Originally Posted by woman_of_the_world View Post
    I just read an interesting post on how 23andMe reported Y haplogroup analysis in the report of a person who always knew that she is a biological woman. Any thoughts about this? I was thinking about genetic mosaicism and androgen insensitivity syndrome.
    If “she” has a Y-DNA haplogroup (and therefore a Y chromosome), then “she” is genetically male period. In that case, it would be more accurate to say “she” thought that “she” was a biological woman.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Leandros's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-08-17
    Age
    30
    Posts
    90


    Country: Greece



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Mental illness doesnt change your biological reality.

    Y Haplogroup: I2(I-S17250)
    mtDNA: U5b2a

  4. #4
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    19-01-18
    Posts
    10
    Points
    1,145
    Level
    8
    Points: 1,145, Level: 8
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 2.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5a1a

    Ethnic group
    Germanic
    Country: Germany - Niedersachsen



    3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leandros View Post
    Mental illness doesnt change your biological reality.
    There are some people who been raised and lived the life of a woman, completely undetected till they don't get their period in puberty, perhaps till they get married and wanted children, what will you say to those people?

    Dress and act now like a man, go to the gym and stick a beard on?

    People who have an sort of Intersex/DSD cannot change their appearance and Neuro-Physiology, because some uneducated people fearing of been cheated by people with an “metal illness”.

    They will never reach the phenotypical status of a full biological male, to tell them they should try, makes them to clowns in our society.

    Its hard enough, that for the most, they cant become pregnant and their gonads had been removed early in childhood, so that they have no chance to reproduce via sperm, what sometimes is possible.

    Google for AIS Women. There are people who have been raised as male with that condition and milder variants too. They will always look girly, feminized, often their puberty does not complete and they get breasts and no beard, female voice.

  5. #5
    Moderator Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second ClassThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Most Popular

    Join Date
    21-10-16
    Posts
    1,725
    Points
    26,601
    Level
    50
    Points: 26,601, Level: 50
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 949
    Overall activity: 5.0%


    Ethnic group
    Multiracial Brazilian
    Country: Brazil



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggerland View Post
    There are some people who been raised and lived the life of a woman, completely undetected till they don't get their period in puberty, perhaps till they get married and wanted children, what will you say to those people?

    Dress and act now like a man, go to the gym and stick a beard on?

    People who have an sort of Intersex/DSD cannot change their appearance and Neuro-Physiology, because some uneducated people fearing of been cheated by people with an “metal illness”.

    They will never reach the phenotypical status of a full biological male, to tell them they should try, makes them to clowns in our society.

    Its hard enough, that for the most, they cant become pregnant and their gonads had been removed early in childhood, so that they have no chance to reproduce via sperm, what sometimes is possible.

    Google for AIS Women. There are people who have been raised as male with that condition and milder variants too. They will always look girly, feminized, often their puberty does not complete and they get breasts and no beard, female voice.
    I was going to say exactly this, but you explained it so much better. Apparently, the endless aliance of prejudice with plain ignorance about matters such as genetics never ceases to be confirmed by us.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree Friends1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Wheal's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-09-17
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    304
    Points
    6,154
    Level
    23
    Points: 6,154, Level: 23
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 396
    Overall activity: 12.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    Pat-U106-H-e1a4b2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5a1b

    Ethnic group
    a true mutt
    Country: USA - Illinois



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

  7. #7
    Mutaghalliba Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    raspberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-08-16
    Posts
    137
    Points
    3,632
    Level
    17
    Points: 3,632, Level: 17
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 5.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-BY139812
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

    Ethnic group
    Arab
    Country: Turkey



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    There is a gonosomal phenomen (Complete Androgen Insensitivity Syndrom) in which people despite having a Y-chromosome are born as a "woman". In such cases (as the name already says) the androgen receptors are not functioning properly, thus testosterone which their body produces is transformed to female estrogene (-> physical appeareance of a woman). However, because they do not have ovaries nor an uterus, they do not get their period during puberty. Sometimes only at that point this syndrom is "realized".

  8. #8
    Mutaghalliba Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    raspberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-08-16
    Posts
    137
    Points
    3,632
    Level
    17
    Points: 3,632, Level: 17
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 5.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-BY139812
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

    Ethnic group
    Arab
    Country: Turkey



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    No. This is the case when a person has beside her 2 X chromosomes another Y chromosome.

  9. #9
    Landlord Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsThree FriendsVeteran

    Join Date
    11-05-14
    Location
    Da Great White North
    Posts
    87
    Points
    4,387
    Level
    19
    Points: 4,387, Level: 19
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 263
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1a1
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1

    Ethnic group
    1/4 Sephardic 3/4 Ashkenazi
    Country: Canada-Ontario



    One thing that intrigued (and arguably puzzled) me is the fact that I’ve seen SRY-positive XX males on 23andme (AKA XX males carrying translocated Y genetic material on either their paternal X or their autosomes) who despite their Y related genes got still reported as “female” by 23andme (i.e., no Y-DNA haplogroup + “female-like” X raw data). Does anybody here know why is that?

  10. #10
    Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    8,696
    Points
    697,304
    Level
    100
    Points: 697,304, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Power77 View Post
    One thing that intrigued (and arguably puzzled) me is the fact that I’ve seen SRY-positive XX males on 23andme (AKA XX males carrying translocated Y genetic material on either their paternal X or their autosomes) who despite their Y related genes got still reported as “female” by 23andme (i.e., no Y-DNA haplogroup + “female-like” X raw data). Does anybody here know why is that?
    It's easy to explain. SRY is only one gene on the Y chromosome. Even if that gene, which determines gender, were to be translocated to the X chromosome, all the rest of the Y-DNA would still be missing and therefore it wouldn't be possible to assign a Y-DNA haplogroup. We could imagine that if the father belonged to a Y-DNA haplogroup defined by a SRY mutation (in Europe that's pretty much just R1a1 and R1b-SRY2627), then it should be possible to determine that haplogroup with only the SRY on the X chromosome, but not the deeper clade after that.
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    19-01-18
    Posts
    10
    Points
    1,145
    Level
    8
    Points: 1,145, Level: 8
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 2.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5a1a

    Ethnic group
    Germanic
    Country: Germany - Niedersachsen



    Quote Originally Posted by Power77 View Post
    One thing that intrigued (and arguably puzzled) me is the fact that I’ve seen SRY-positive XX males on 23andme (AKA XX males carrying translocated Y genetic material on either their paternal X or their autosomes) who despite their Y related genes got still reported as “female” by 23andme (i.e., no Y-DNA haplogroup + “female-like” X raw data). Does anybody here know why is that?

    As far as i know:

    Because the testing companies asking you before you do the test what is your Sex or Gender, and if you don't choose “male” they wont test your Y chromosome, if you don't choose “female” they don't test both X chromosomes.

    They do not test if a person has more than 2 gonosomes, its not part of the service regularly.
    They don't test androgene receptor repeats or important autosomal SNPs which can tell if you have some sort of DSD/Intersex.

    If you want the change your gender in your profile, you have to ask the company. And some people don't care about.

  12. #12
    Landlord Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsThree FriendsVeteran

    Join Date
    11-05-14
    Location
    Da Great White North
    Posts
    87
    Points
    4,387
    Level
    19
    Points: 4,387, Level: 19
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 263
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1a1
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1

    Ethnic group
    1/4 Sephardic 3/4 Ashkenazi
    Country: Canada-Ontario



    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    It's easy to explain. SRY is only one gene on the Y chromosome. Even if that gene, which determines gender, were to be translocated to the X chromosome, all the rest of the Y-DNA would still be missing and therefore it wouldn't be possible to assign a Y-DNA haplogroup. We could imagine that if the father belonged to a Y-DNA haplogroup defined by a SRY mutation (in Europe that's pretty much just R1a1 and R1b-SRY2627), then it should be possible to determine that haplogroup with only the SRY on the X chromosome, but not the deeper clade after that.
    Many of these guys have fathers who are either R1b or R1a yet they still get reported as “female”. How come? BTW, what other haplogroups are defined by a SRY mutation? Also, is it safe to say that a full Y chromosome is needed for a paternal haplogroup assigment?

  13. #13
    Landlord Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsThree FriendsVeteran

    Join Date
    11-05-14
    Location
    Da Great White North
    Posts
    87
    Points
    4,387
    Level
    19
    Points: 4,387, Level: 19
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 263
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1a1
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1

    Ethnic group
    1/4 Sephardic 3/4 Ashkenazi
    Country: Canada-Ontario



    Quote Originally Posted by Doggerland View Post
    Because the testing companies asking you before you do the test what is your Sex or Gender, and if you don't choose “male” they wont test your Y chromosome, if you don't choose “female” they don't test both X chromosomes.
    Wrong. Hence the reason why transgenders and/or intersex people are easily spotted by 23andme regardless of the gender they’ve chosen.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •