Roman Britain

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
This excellent British documentary showed up on my feed yesterday. Very interesting and great visuals.

Mary Beard vs Boris Johnson
(Clashing Debate)
Greece vs Rome

(Clashing Debate)
Greece vs Rome

It seems a rather silly topic for debate, but I'll give it a go when I have the time. For the record, I think Mary Beard is wrong about slavery in Rome, but that's another topic.

It seems a rather silly topic for debate, but I'll give it a go when I have the time. For the record, I think Mary Beard is wrong about slavery in Rome, but that's another topic.

It is a classic biased debate.
Mary Beard and Boris Johnson are both Eccentric in their own way. Very Entertaining imho. :)

Great documentary, Angela!

I like the visuals from the sky.

23ZPQ8Y.png

[FONT=&quot]It is hard to answer this question briefly! [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The Roman army left Britain over 1,500 years ago. They left behind a huge legacy. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Many types of animals and plants were brought to Britain in Roman times.e.g. sweet chestnut trees and chickens. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When we travel many people still measure distance in miles and until recently we measured most things in feet and inches. All these are Roman measurements. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Romans also introduced Christianity to Britain. Many churches are still built using designs like a Roman Basilica. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Reading and writing were also introduced by the Romans. Before the Romans arrived nobody in Britain knew how to read or write. Stories and knowledge could only be passed on by word of mouth. From Roman times onwards people in Britain would always write things down. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Romans also helped the English language. Many words in English and Welsh have been borrowed from the Latin language. Some examples are:-autumn, beautiful, continue, different.... [/FONT]

Michael Scott seems a friendly chap, though even to my English ears his Italian sounds quite comical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF3w05EhFQw

Mary Beard scares me to be honest with you, she looks like a womble that's escaped from a government research facility, entering the world of academia as a way of 'hiding in plain sight'. I also dislike the way in which her hippie personality colours her presenting style, when it comes to discussing the darker, grittier aspects of Empire like slavery, ritual practices, etc.

Michael Scott seems a friendly chap, though even to my English ears his Italian sounds quite comical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF3w05EhFQw

Mary Beard scares me to be honest with you, she looks like a womble that's escaped from a government research facility, entering the world of academia as a way of 'hiding in plain sight'. I also dislike the way in which her hippie personality colours her presenting style, when it comes to discussing the darker, grittier aspects of Empire like slavery, ritual practices, etc.

Painful is more how I would describe his accent. :) Some people have no "ear" whatsoever.

Is there some connection to Roman Britain that I'm missing?

If you want some sound judgments about Sicily, this is definitely not the guy. If this is how he views Sicily, how on earth would he view Spain and Portugal with their over 700 years of Muslim occupation? Tons of absolute garbage in there. Mary Beard knows a lot about certain things. She knows nothing about slavery in the Roman empire.

Since you seem to want to discuss those topics I suggest you find an appropriate thread.

Fwiw, your turn of phrase is a bit like Davef's.

(Clashing Debate)
Greece vs Rome
- Re-play -

U.K. Premier 🤔 (NYC born Boris Johnson) and Mary Beard:

Greece vs Rome

Last edited:
Boris Johnson (4:20):"we find first signs of meritocratic indignation ".

In other words,the debate actually enhances the role of both Romans and Greeks as the " Keepers of the Order".

F... Rome,F....Greece,long live Macedonia.

That's because step-by-step intelligence, meritocracy, can become contagious too,just as much as linear prudence.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SQw7MNaxj3Q

Boris Johnson: "The Romans were bastards"

Obviously Boris Johnson never met the Ancient Romans.

I’m sure they were wonderful people, really good looking, and very smart :)

Obviously Boris Johnson never met the Ancient Romans.

I’m sure they were wonderful people, really good looking, and very smart :)

It is, to say the least, curious that a man who ethnically defines himself as a "one-man melting pot" can be a fervent defender of Brexit. If his ancestors were at the mercy of the policies he advocates today, he would never have had a chance to become a British citizen and to live in the United Kingdom.

[h=1]Boris Johnson - Short Biography[/h]"Johnson was born to British parents on 19 June 1964 on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. His birth was registered both with the U.S authorities and with New York City's British Consulate, thereby granting him both American and British citizenship. His father, Stanley Johnson, was then studying economics at Columbia University. Johnson's mother is Charlotte Fawcett, an artist from a family of liberal intellectuals. She had married Stanley in 1963, prior to their move to the U.S.

Johnson's paternal great-grandfather was a Circassian-Turkish journalist Ali Kemal who was a secular Muslim; on his father's side he also has English and French ancestry, including descents from King George II of Great Britain. Johnson's maternal grandfather was the lawyer Sir James Fawcett. Johnson's mother is the granddaughter of Elias Avery Lowe, a palaeographer, who was a Russian Jewish immigrant to the U.S., and Helen Tracy Lowe-Porter, a translator of Thomas Mann. Through Elias, Johnson is descended from an Orthodox rabbi from Lithuania. In reference to his varied ancestry, Johnson has described himself as a "one-man melting pot"—with a combination of Muslims, Jews, and Christians as great-grandparents. Johnson was given the middle name "Boris" after a Russian émigré his parents had once met".

It is, to say the least, curious that a man who ethnically defines himself as a "one-man melting pot" can be a fervent defender of Brexit. If his ancestors were at the mercy of the policies he advocates today, he would never have had a chance to become a British citizen and to live in the United Kingdom.

[h=1]Boris Johnson - Short Biography[/h]"Johnson was born to British parents on 19 June 1964 on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. His birth was registered both with the U.S authorities and with New York City's British Consulate, thereby granting him both American and British citizenship. His father, Stanley Johnson, was then studying economics at Columbia University. Johnson's mother is Charlotte Fawcett, an artist from a family of liberal intellectuals. She had married Stanley in 1963, prior to their move to the U.S.

Johnson's paternal great-grandfather was a Circassian-Turkish journalist Ali Kemal who was a secular Muslim; on his father's side he also has English and French ancestry, including descents from King George II of Great Britain. Johnson's maternal grandfather was the lawyer Sir James Fawcett. Johnson's mother is the granddaughter of Elias Avery Lowe, a palaeographer, who was a Russian Jewish immigrant to the U.S., and Helen Tracy Lowe-Porter, a translator of Thomas Mann. Through Elias, Johnson is descended from an Orthodox rabbi from Lithuania. In reference to his varied ancestry, Johnson has described himself as a "one-man melting pot"—with a combination of Muslims, Jews, and Christians as great-grandparents. Johnson was given the middle name "Boris" after a Russian émigré his parents had once met".

If you read the net.....all nations in the EU by atart of 2023 must use the euro and give up their current currency.....UK and denmark are 2 that i know are going to change.
Do the people want this ?

If you read the net.....all nations in the EU by atart of 2023 must use the euro and give up their current currency.....UK and denmark are 2 that i know are going to change.

Hello Torzio,

In today's world I don't know what people really want. Who is right or who is wrong. It seems that we are experiencing a big, ufanist and nationalist wave. That scares me. Today I try to live only for myself and my family, forgetting everything else. Just to exemplify things that scare me, Brazil's current president at a news conference did not realize that the microphones were already on and, speaking to an advisor, uttered a racist insult to the people living in northeastern Brazil (this region of the country voted massively against him in the last presidential election). Visiting the Northeast of the country, in a speech in an attempt to fix the damage done, the president speaks another bullshit: "We have no prejudice against anyone, but we have a deep revulsion for those who are not Brazilian." Things like this are repeated by many leaders all around the world. As I said before, that scares me.
Sorry me, Torzio.
I believe I am a little bit stressed what I have seen and heard lately.
Hugs :)

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47523168

Thats the problem with the world today. People create fake news and some are gullible enough to believe it and make it fact creating scenarios that are non existent. The bubble will burst sometime..even sooner then we think, but lots of damage might have already been done.

Razib Khan recently commented on Mary Beard's work:

This is on my mind because for various reasons I stumbled upon this paper, Migration and diversity in Roman Britain: A multidisciplinary approach to the identification of immigrants in Roman York, England, and it reminded me of the debate between Mary Beard and Nassim Taleb. To not put too fine a point on it, Taleb was pretty much right, and Beard was almost certainly defending a position she knew to be wrong, but which she thought was politically more palatable.

Because of modern political needs, there tends to be an overemphasis on the number of people of Sub-Saharan African ancestry in the Roman world. Or, as we’d say today, Black people. The reality is that most Sub-Saharan African ancestry in the Mediterranean world seems to date to the period after Islam and the rise of substantial south to the north slave trade (though not all). Though there were recognizably Sub-Saharan people in Classical Antiquity in the Roman Empire, they seem to have been somewhat rare, with the possible exception of Upper Egypt…Whenever I dig deep into the scholarly citations arguing for a large number of Sub-Saharan African people in the Roman world it’s always morphometrics. Basically, “skull-science.” This is ironic in light of the Left-wing meme that any discussion about race is “skull-science.” But these morphometric studies often seem to have low power and precision. Remember the weird inferences about the skull of Kennewick Man? The science wasn’t “wrong,” it was just weak. And the conclusions reached are often wrong or even random. If you want to find a bunch of East Asians or Sub-Saharan Africans in the Roman world, I’m sure some morphometric analyses will support that bizarre conclusion.

What’s going on here? The truth doesn’t matter, all that matters is “winning” the argument. Even caliper-wielding skull scientists are good “allies” as long as they come to the “right” conclusions.

https://www.gnxp.com/WordPress/2020/12/18/being-right-being-agreeable-being-nice/

This thread has been viewed 14214 times.

Back