Are these results ok for someone with Italian ancestry?

emc

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-Z49
Hi, I'm not 100% Italian, so I never expected my results to be much accurate, but I still get very low % for the Italian component (or whatever it's called by different companies).

I had, however, my maternal grandmother tested, and she had 4 Italian grandparents. It was a surprise for me to see that she has a % of IBERIAN that I wasn't expecting at all.

At MyHeritage she gets 41% Iberia and only 15.2% Italy. Below are her results from MyHeritage, FTDNA and Gencove.

MH: 41% Iberia, 39.2% Greece, 15.2% Italy and 4.6% Ashkenazi(?).
FTDNA: 64% Southeast Europe, 19% West and Central Europe, 15% Iberia, <2% Ashkenazi (trace).
Gencove: 38% Eastern Mediterranean, 37% Northern Italy, 25% Southwestern Europe.

Can someone tell me if this is normal?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I'm not 100% Italian, so I never expected my results to be much accurate, but I still get very low % for the Italian component (or whatever it's called by different companies).

I had, however, my maternal grandmother tested, and she had 4 Italian grandparents. It was a surprise for me to see that she has a % of IBERIAN that I wasn't expecting at all.

At MyHeritage she gets 41% Iberia and only 15.2% Europe. Below are her results from MyHeritage, FTDNA and Gencove.

MH: 41% Iberia, 39.2% Greece, 15.2% Italy and 4.6% Ashkenazi(?).
FTDNA: 64% Southeast Europe, 19% West and Central Europe, 15% Iberia, <2% Ashkenazi (trace).
Gencove: 38% Eastern Mediterranean, 37% Northern Italy, 25% Southwestern Europe.

Can someone tell me if this is normal?

Thanks in advance!

Nope, I don't think it's normal for someone who is fully Italian to get 41% Iberian on My Heritage. Ashkenazi there doesn't imply real Ashkenazi ancestry, there are even Brits who score a bit of Ashkenazi on My Heritage.

On Gencove shows a shift towards Iberia as well but those results could belong to someone who is north Italian from Po Valley.

If all 4 Italian grandparents are from different parts of Italy is quite difficult to say, because we do not inherit exactly 50% of the DNA from each parent, and 25% from each grandparent, 12.5% ​​from each great-parent, and so on.

Nope, I don't think it's normal for someone who is fully Italian to get 41% Iberian on My Heritage. Ashkenazi there doesn't imply real Ashkenazi ancestry, there are even Brits who score a bit of Ashkenazi on My Heritage.

On Gencove shows a shift towards Iberia as well.

If all 4 Italian grandparents are from different parts of Italy is quite difficult to say, because we do not inherit exactly 50% of the DNA from each parent, and 25% from each grandfather, 12.5% ​​from each great-grandfather, and so on.

Thank you for you response!

Yes, I read that the Ashkenazi from MyHeritage is somewhat flawed. Everyone in my family gets some % of it...

My grandmothers' ancestors (as well as mine) were mostly from Northern Italy. Her grandfathers were from neighbor comuni close to the Po River indeed (one in Mantova and the other in Reggio Emilia). One of her grandmothers was from the Garfagnana Valley, in Tuscany, and the other came from Padova.

These results really bug me. I know I can't discard a NPE, but the chances of my grandmother having a non-Italian ancestor are really low, because she grow up in a colony where everyone was Italian or German. And a German ancestor wouldn't pull her results towards Iberia...

Last edited:
Thank you for you response!
Yes, I read that the Ashkenazi from MyHeritage is somewhat flawed. Everyone in my family gets some % of it...
My grandmothers' ancestors (as well as mine) were mostly from Northern Italy. Her grandfathers were from neighbor comuni close to the Po River indeed (one in Mantova and the other in Reggio Emilia). One of her grandmothers was from the Garfagnana Valley, in Tuscany, and the other came from Padova.
These results really bug me. I know I can't discard a NPE, but the chances of my grandmother having a non-Italian ancestor are really low, because she grow up in a colony where everyone was Italian or German. And a German ancestor wouldn't pull her results towards Iberia...
May I ask you where your grandmother was born? When you say that she grew up in a place where everyone were Italian or German descendants, I considered parts of Rio Grande do Sul and Santa Catarina (maybe even Espirito Santo), however, these areas haven't received a considerable number of Italians from Emilia and Tuscany, in opposition to Sao Paulo, which in turn doesn't have "strong" German settlements. Obviously it's possible there were some Tuscans etc. in the South Brazil, but by far most of those who migrated there were from "Triveneto" (mainly) and also from some parts of Lombardy (like Mantova, Brescia, Bergamo, Cremona), hence my question.

May I ask you where your grandmother was born? When you say that she grew up in a place where everyone were Italian or German descendants, I considered parts of Rio Grande do Sul and Santa Catarina (maybe even Espirito Santo), however, these areas haven't received a considerable number of Italians from Emilia and Tuscany, in opposition to Sao Paulo, which in turn doesn't have "strong" German settlements. Obviously it's possible there were some Tuscans etc. in the South Brazil, but by far most of those who migrated there were from "Triveneto" (mainly) and also from some parts of Lombardy (like Mantova, Brescia, Bergamo, Cremona), hence my question.

I am from São Paulo, and my grandmother was born here too. In fact, São Paulo received MUCH more Italians than the South, but they were more diverse too. You're right about the Germans: most of them went to Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul. But there is a region in São Paulo coutryside that received many Germans, Swiss, Belgians and even some Scandinavians, although in small numbers. The cities of Limeira, Rio Claro and Campinas were much influenced by them.

And to clarify, my grandmother grew up in a rural place, a "colônia". Rich farmers used to hire immigrants to work in the coffee harvest, and these people lived at the farm.

Ashkenazi Jews have a LOT of south European blood. They have genetic similarities with you, not the opposite.

Στάλθηκε από το PE-TL10 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

That makes sense.
Ashkenazi Jews have a LOT of south European blood. They have genetic similarities with you, not the opposite.

Στάλθηκε από το PE-TL10 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

I am from São Paulo, and my grandmother was born here too. In fact, São Paulo received MUCH more Italians than the South, but they were more diverse too. You're right about the Germans: most of them went to Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul. But there is a region in São Paulo coutryside that received many Germans, Swiss, Belgians and even some Scandinavians, although in small numbers. The cities of Limeira, Rio Claro and Campinas were much influenced by them.
And to clarify, my grandmother grew up in a rural place, a "colônia". Rich farmers used to hire immigrants to work in the coffee harvest, and these people lived at the farm.
Thanks for clarifying. Now it makes sense. :)
Yes, one of the main differences is that Sao Paulo received immigrants from many more Italian regions, and that they integrated easily and quickly to the local pop - the area was already inhabited (syrongly) by other people before most of Italians arrived.
As for the Germans, I asked 'cause I don't know of huge areas with heavy presence of them outside the South, but now I understand you referred to a small place.

sao Paolo

Main group of Italians immigrants living in São Paulo state(1936)[57]
Region Population
Veneto 228,142
Campania 91,960
Calabria 72,686
Lombardy 51,338
Tuscany 47,874

That's right. Some small towns in the countryside were almost exclusively Venetian. Southerners came later and went mostly to the State capital.

Your Grandmother may be 2/3 North Italian, and 1/3 German, hence why she gets Iberian.

This thread has been viewed 6864 times.

Back