Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 190

Thread: The curious case of Albanian coincidences

  1. #1
    Regular Member Johane Derite's Avatar
    Join Date
    21-06-17
    Posts
    1,145

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V13>Z5018>FGC33625
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U1a1a

    Country: Albania



    1 members found this post helpful.

    The curious case of Albanian coincidences

    It's so strange how so many coincidences (and nothing more according to our neighbours on our north, east, and south borders) happen when it comes to the Albanian language and archaeology.


    This is a bronze coin found in what is today "Ohrid" but according to archeological consensus used to be the Ancient Greek city of "Lychnidos."



    First thing to note is the coin doesn't name the city as Lychnid-os but Lychni-dion


    I was interested to see the etymology of "Lychnidos" and was surprised to see this explanation from the wikipedia link:

    "In antiquity the city was known under the ancient Greek: Λυχνίς (Lychnis) and Latin: Lychnidus,[6] probably meaning "city of light", from Greek λυχνίς (lychnis, gen. lychnidos), "a precious stone that emits light",[7] from λύχνος (lychnos), "lamp, portable light".[8] By 879 AD, the town was no longer called Lychnidos but was referred to by the assimilated native people as Ohrid, possibly from the Slavic words vo hrid, meaning "on the hill", as the ancient town of Lychnidos was at the top of the hill.[9][10] In Macedonian and the other South Slavic languages, the name of the city is Ohrid (Охрид). In Albanian, the city is known as Ohër or Ohri and in modern Greek Ochrida (Οχρίδα, Ωχρίδα) and Achrida (Αχρίδα)."

    LINK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohrid?oldformat=true






    Well, the reason I was surprised is because the word "Liqen" (q in albanian is pronounced like "ch" in "cheese") means Lake.

    Liqen-i means "The Lake." It should be obvious it comes from the same PIE root as English Lake also.


    This is Lake Ohrid from space:









    So I guess my question is this:

    Archeological, ethnographic, linguistic, and now Y-Dna and Autosomal DNA all corroborates that Albanians have been neighbours with Greeks for a very long time.

    So why, in contrast to the Greek language, which is the #1 most studied Language on earth is Albanian among the least?

    Even if Albanians had never contributed even ONE historically relevant person in all their existence, the language should be of interest by mere virtue of being right next
    to the most studied one. And there are plenty of more recent historical figures in from the small Albanian population reaching from artists (Gjon Mili), a pope (Giovanni Francesco Albani), to statesmen (Francesco Crispi) and so on
    to prove to even the most racist haters that at least in more recent history there have undoubtedly been important Albanian individuals.


    In Ancient and Classical studies it is not even the slightest bit controversial to work on etymoligies and theories of origins of cultural phenomena by surmising foreign influence. It is very common that
    for something unexplained a scholar may refer to Sumerian, Phonecian, or other very far away Semitic cultures based on trade routes and such.

    But God forbid that one mention a possible neighbouring population that has too many negative stereotypes in contemporary life!

    Neighbouring peoples don't interact at all in the case of proto albanians and ancient greeks. This is very scientific.

    I hope everyone here noted that the Albanian etymology for "Lychnidos" is much more straightforward and less convoluted than the accepted one yet is entirely absent from the Wiki page.

    Anyway, enjoy this video about Lake Ohrid aka Lychnidion:

    "As we have already stressed, the mass evacuation of the Albanians from their triangle is the only effective course we can take. In order to relocate a whole people, the first prerequisite is the creation of a suitable psychosis. This can be done in various ways." - Vaso Cubrilovic

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    05-09-15
    Posts
    1,984


    Ethnic group
    Albanian
    Country: Albania



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Very interesting Johane. What atired my atention was the other side of the coin. In the centre of the coin you can see the swastika, a symbol used by Illyrians and continued to be used by Albanians until XX century. Here you have some tatoo with swastika registred in Kelmendi, Thethi, etc in North Albania during ethnographic expeditions in year 1975:


    But swastika was also used as a decoration in South Albania, for example in Kanina, Vlore engraved in stone in the angle of the tower together with snake another symbol used by Illyrians.
    Another element that attracts my attention are the decorations around the coin that look like half moon with the star, another symbol used in different cultures but also by Illyrians which continued to be used also among the Albanians until the twentieth century.





    A Cham Albanian, Jaho Gjoliku commander of the IV anti-fascist Group “Çamëria”:


    Albanian women from Gruda, North Albania:

  3. #3
    Regular Member Johane Derite's Avatar
    Join Date
    21-06-17
    Posts
    1,145

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V13>Z5018>FGC33625
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U1a1a

    Country: Albania



    Quote Originally Posted by LABERIA View Post
    Very interesting Johane. What atired my atention was the other side of the coin. In the centre of the coin you can see the swastika, a symbol used by Illyrians and continued to be used by Albanians until XX century. Here you have some tatoo with swastika registred in Kelmendi, Thethi, etc in North Albania during ethnographic expeditions in year 1975:


    But swastika was also used as a decoration in South Albania, for example in Kanina, Vlore engraved in stone in the angle of the tower together with snake another symbol used by Illyrians.
    Another element that attracts my attention are the decorations around the coin that look like half moon with the star, another symbol used in different cultures but also by Illyrians which continued to be used also among the Albanians until the twentieth century.





    A Cham Albanian, Jaho Gjoliku commander of the IV anti-fascist Group “Çamëria”:


    Albanian women from Gruda, North Albania:


    Yes, the detail I find most interesting about Gezim Uruci's expeditions and the tattoos he found were that they were done to young girls and boys in secret away from eyes of the Priests and Imams. And they were done when they were children, long before there was any Nazi party popularization of the swastika. And as is shown in the descriptions in Albanian the subjects referred to the swastika as "diell/dill" (Sun in albanian).

    These were poor people not versed in the classics that were preserving the ancient indo european symbol of the swastika for the sun.

    As for the crescent and star, this is also a very interesting case. Edith Durham covered this in her expeditions also:

    From High Albania by Edith Durham:

    "The Christian married women of Maltsia e madhe wear a crescent of silver filagree or of gold braid on their caps. They vow and declare that this has nothing to do with the Turk : " It is our custom. We have always done it."

    LINK TO HIGH ALBANIA: http://www.albanism.com/High_Albania_-_Edith_Durham.pdf

    One possible speculation I have heard is that this is connected with a speculative etymology of the word "Illyria"

    Yll i Ri (Yll = Star, I Ri = New/Young)

    So Illyria could be "New Star" or "Young Star"

    I admit I don't know if this is a secure etymology

  4. #4
    Regular Member Johane Derite's Avatar
    Join Date
    21-06-17
    Posts
    1,145

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V13>Z5018>FGC33625
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U1a1a

    Country: Albania



    There is also the possibility of Aldebaran:





  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    05-09-15
    Posts
    1,984


    Ethnic group
    Albanian
    Country: Albania



    Quote Originally Posted by Johane Derite View Post


    Yes, the detail I find most interesting about Gezim Uruci's expeditions and the tattoos he found were that they were done to young girls and boys in secret away from eyes of the Priests and Imams. And they were done when they were children, long before there was any Nazi party popularization of the swastika. And as is shown in the descriptions in Albanian the subjects referred to the swastika as "diell/dill" (Sun in albanian).

    These were poor people not versed in the classics that were preserving the ancient indo european symbol of the swastika for the sun.

    As for the crescent and star, this is also a very interesting case. Edith Durham covered this in her expeditions also:

    From High Albania by Edith Durham:

    "The Christian married women of Maltsia e madhe wear a crescent of silver filagree or of gold braid on their caps. They vow and declare that this has nothing to do with the Turk : " It is our custom. We have always done it."

    LINK TO HIGH ALBANIA: http://www.albanism.com/High_Albania_-_Edith_Durham.pdf

    One possible speculation I have heard is that this is connected with a speculative etymology of the word "Illyria"

    Yll i Ri (Yll = Star, I Ri = New/Young)

    So Illyria could be "New Star" or "Young Star"

    I admit I don't know if this is a secure etymology
    Other examples of Crescent:



    Again Shkodra:

    North Albania, Dukagjini:

  6. #6
    Regular Member Yetos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-10-11
    Location
    Makedonia
    Posts
    5,801

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

    Ethnic group
    Makedonian original
    Country: Greece



    @Derite


    Before we enter to parascience.

    Λυχνιτης

    cognates with what?

    Lugo or Lux

    Both IE,

    the rest are just, if my grandmother had wheels would be a scateboard?

    PERIOD
    ΛΥΧΝΙΤΗΣ FIND WITH WHAT COGNATES LUGO or LUX ?




    ΟΘΕΝ ΑΙΔΩΣ OY EINAI
    ΑΤΗ ΛΑΜΒΑΝΕΙΝ ΑΥΤΟΙΣ
    ΥΒΡΙΣ ΓΕΝΝΑΤΑΙ
    ΝΕΜΕΣΙΣ ΚΑΙ ΤΙΣΗ ΑΚΟΛΟΥΘΟΥΣΙ ΔΕ

    When there is no shame
    Divine blindness conquers them
    Hybris (abuse, opprombium) is born
    Nemesis and punishment follows.

    Εχε υπομονη Ηρωα
    Η τιμωρια δεν αργει.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Johane Derite's Avatar
    Join Date
    21-06-17
    Posts
    1,145

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V13>Z5018>FGC33625
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U1a1a

    Country: Albania



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by LABERIA View Post
    Another element that attracts my attention are the decorations around the coin that look like half moon with the star, another symbol used in different cultures but also by Illyrians which continued to be used also among the Albanians until the twentieth century.
    I think those decorations are related to the shield decorations that they find in Illyrian graves:





    Likely they are related to solar or astronomical concepts

    LINK: http://lukeuedasarson.com/Illyrians.html

  8. #8
    Regular Member Yetos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-10-11
    Location
    Makedonia
    Posts
    5,801

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

    Ethnic group
    Makedonian original
    Country: Greece



    Quote Originally Posted by laberia View Post
    very interesting johane. What atired my atention was the other side of the coin. In the centre of the coin you can see the swastika, a symbol used by illyrians and continued to be used by albanians until xx century. Here you have some tatoo with swastika registred in kelmendi, thethi, etc in north albania during ethnographic expeditions in year 1975:


    but swastika was also used as a decoration in south albania, for example in kanina, vlore engraved in stone in the angle of the tower together with snake another symbol used by illyrians.
    Another element that attracts my attention are the decorations around the coin that look like half moon with the star, another symbol used in different cultures but also by illyrians which continued to be used also among the albanians until the twentieth century.





    a cham albanian, jaho gjoliku commander of the iv anti-fascist group “çamëria”:


    albanian women from gruda, north albania:


    before we are driven to parascience and global conspiracy

    search the kudurru

  9. #9
    Regular Member Johane Derite's Avatar
    Join Date
    21-06-17
    Posts
    1,145

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V13>Z5018>FGC33625
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U1a1a

    Country: Albania



    more albanian tattoos documented by Durham:


  10. #10
    Regular Member Yetos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-10-11
    Location
    Makedonia
    Posts
    5,801

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

    Ethnic group
    Makedonian original
    Country: Greece



    THE KUDURRU STONE

    THE OLDEST MOONCRESCENT EVER





    NOW SOME MAY GO BACK TO SLEEP AND DREAM

    another Kudurru





    Oh and another Kudurru stone




    Oh and another KUDURRU STONE





    Oh and more Kudurru with Moon crescent and star Aldebaran OR VENUS?




    Oh Do NOT FORGET
    THE GODESS GULA AND THE DOGS
    SHE ALSO LOVES MOONCRESCENT





    MORE KUDURRUs





    I REALLY WONDER Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

    how much distance is the limit

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    05-09-15
    Posts
    1,984


    Ethnic group
    Albanian
    Country: Albania



    Quote Originally Posted by Yetos View Post
    before we are driven to parascience and global conspiracy

    search the kudurru
    What is parascience and conspiracy in my post? Show me and i will say sorry and i will edit my post.
    You want to destroy another thread Yetos.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Yetos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-10-11
    Location
    Makedonia
    Posts
    5,801

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

    Ethnic group
    Makedonian original
    Country: Greece



    Quote Originally Posted by LABERIA View Post
    What is parascience and conspiracy in my post? Show me and i will say sorry and i will edit my post.
    You want to destroy another thread Yetos.

    My post #10 has the oldest signs of moon crescent and star,

    Is there any connection among them from 1500 BC and before
    with the ones you post #5?


    specially notice goddesses Gula and Artemis.

    No need to answer,
    Just think and answer to your shelf and lets finish it here.
    cause it is hard to kick at the stone,
    it will never break down.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    05-09-15
    Posts
    1,984


    Ethnic group
    Albanian
    Country: Albania



    Quote Originally Posted by Yetos View Post
    My post #10 has the oldest signs of moon crescent and star,

    Is there any connection among them from 1500 BC and before
    with the ones you post #5?


    specially notice goddesses Gula and Artemis.

    No need to answer,
    Just think and answer to your shelf and lets finish it here.
    cause it is hard to kick at the stone,
    it will never break down.
    And what is parascience and conspiracy in my post? Do you understand the question? Answer to the question, please.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Johane Derite's Avatar
    Join Date
    21-06-17
    Posts
    1,145

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V13>Z5018>FGC33625
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U1a1a

    Country: Albania



    Sun and Moon was present in folk culture. Again something from Durham:


  15. #15
    Regular Member Johane Derite's Avatar
    Join Date
    21-06-17
    Posts
    1,145

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V13>Z5018>FGC33625
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U1a1a

    Country: Albania



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Interesting, I found another Lychnidos coin, also this one has "Lychnidion" and not "Lychnidos" written on it, yet they refer to it
    as a Lychnidos coin.



    LINK: https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=2236&lot=55

  16. #16
    Regular Member Dibran's Avatar
    Join Date
    25-09-16
    Posts
    933

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-L1029>Y133361
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H11a2b*

    Ethnic group
    Albanian/Gheg/Dibran/Okshtun
    Country: United States



    Yetos stop polluting every thread about Albanians and acting like you're civil. Hater.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Dibran's Avatar
    Join Date
    25-09-16
    Posts
    933

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-L1029>Y133361
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H11a2b*

    Ethnic group
    Albanian/Gheg/Dibran/Okshtun
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Johane Derite View Post
    Interesting, I found another Lychnidos coin, also this one has "Lychnidion" and not "Lychnidos" written on it, yet they refer to it
    as a Lychnidos coin.



    LINK: https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=2236&lot=55

    Looks like the coin has a picture of a boat carved in(unless I am looking at this wrong). Which would connect to the etymology in Albanian you suggested.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Johane Derite's Avatar
    Join Date
    21-06-17
    Posts
    1,145

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V13>Z5018>FGC33625
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U1a1a

    Country: Albania



    Quote Originally Posted by Johane Derite View Post
    Sun and Moon was present in folk culture. Again something from Durham:

    Another gem from Durham:

    Albanian graves:


  19. #19
    Regular Member Yetos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-10-11
    Location
    Makedonia
    Posts
    5,801

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

    Ethnic group
    Makedonian original
    Country: Greece



    Quote Originally Posted by LABERIA View Post
    And what is parascience and conspiracy in my post? Do you understand the question? Answer to the question, please.
    I already did,
    IS THERE ANY CONNECTION AMONG SEMITIC KUDURRU STONES, MOON CRESCEND AND STAR (ALDEBARAN OR VENUS)
    WITH THE MOON CRESCEND AND STAR YOU PROVIDE US AS HISTORICAL SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE?
    and the photos you provide us?

    MORE SIMPLE CAN NOT BE.


    IS THERE CONNECTION AMONG KUDURRU STONES AND THE POSt #5 OF YOURS?
    OR IT IS JUST A COINSIDENCE?

    that is the limit of science, fogy evidences, and para-science.

  20. #20
    Regular Member Yetos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-10-11
    Location
    Makedonia
    Posts
    5,801

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

    Ethnic group
    Makedonian original
    Country: Greece



    Quote Originally Posted by Johane Derite View Post
    Interesting, I found another Lychnidos coin, also this one has "Lychnidion" and not "Lychnidos" written on it, yet they refer to it
    as a Lychnidos coin.



    LINK: https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=2236&lot=55

    WOW

    FANTASTIC DISCOVERY

    ONLY IT IS Ω ΩΜΕΓΑ OMEGA

    WHICH MEANS POSSESIVE CASE AND PLURAL NUMBER.

    IN TYPICAL EVERY LANGUAGE MEANS (OF LYHNITIS PEOPLE)

    ΛΥΧΝΙΔΙΟΙ nomitive case
    ΛΥΧΝΙΔΙΩΝ Possesive case

    NOTICE










    oh Boy

    I do not want to say more
    ΚΥΠΡΙΩΝ
    ΑΙΤΩΛΩΝ
    ΧΑΛΚΙΔΕΩΝ

    simmilar
    ΛΥΧΝΙΔΙΩΝ



    and not like she, her and hair all in the caserolla.


    BUT STILL NO ANSWER


    ΛΥΧΝΙΤΙΣ FROM Lake/lugo or from LUX

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    17-09-17
    Posts
    320


    Country: United States



    The coins look like minishields. You could say they are shields if you didn't know they were tiny. So the people who produced the coins are either the same or very closely related to the ones who made the shields.

    As for the name, the Albanian word for lake seems a very straightforward explanation and I have noticed this before. Honestly I did not know that there were other theories. In any case, the name is not necessarily related to the people as it could be an exonym.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    17-09-17
    Posts
    320


    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Yetos View Post

    ΛΥΧΝΙΔΙΟΙ nomitive case
    ΛΥΧΝΙΔΙΩΝ Possesive case
    I can't read that coin writing, the resolution is too low, but shouldn't there have been a preposition before the word to make it possessive? Like τοῦ for example.

  23. #23
    Regular Member Yetos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-10-11
    Location
    Makedonia
    Posts
    5,801

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

    Ethnic group
    Makedonian original
    Country: Greece



    Quote Originally Posted by Ownstyler View Post
    The coins look like minishields. You could say they are shields if you didn't know they were tiny. So the people who produced the coins are either the same or very closely related to the ones who made the shields.

    As for the name, the Albanian word for lake seems a very straightforward explanation and I have noticed this before. Honestly I did not know that there were other theories. In any case, the name is not necessarily related to the people as it could be an exonym.

    offcourse

    Indian coin




    Syracuse coin




    I suggest see this Makedonian coin




    And this, Early Alexander's low quantity coin

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    17-09-17
    Posts
    320


    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Yetos View Post
    offcourse

    Indian coin




    Syracuse coin




    I suggest see this Makedonian coin




    And this, Early Alexander's low quantity coin
    Only the last one has similar patterns. The shields I was talking about: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/9694328682

  25. #25
    Regular Member Johane Derite's Avatar
    Join Date
    21-06-17
    Posts
    1,145

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V13>Z5018>FGC33625
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U1a1a

    Country: Albania



    Quote Originally Posted by Ownstyler View Post
    Only the last one has similar patterns. The shields I was talking about: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/9694328682
    It also has the "pilos" helmet:


Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •