J2a L397 - Phoenician and Greek Colonization in The Mediterranean

leperrine

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
J-L70
Found this and thought it was Interesting.

J2a L397 is my paternal lineage..

My Y-DNA Haplogroup is J2a1h2a1 [J2-L70 (J2-L397, J2-L398)]

Makes a lot of sense. I can trace my paternal ancestry almost 1,000 years to Languedoc France.

Pretty sure they were Franks.

"Finally, we explored the distribution of J2a-L397 and three derived lineages within it. J2a-L397 is tightly associated with a typical DYS445 6-repeat allele. This has been hypothesized as a marker of the Greek colonizations in the Mediterranean55, based on its presence in Greek Anatolia and Provence (France), a region with attested Iron Age Greek contribution. All of our chromosomes in this clade were characterized also by DYS391(9), confirming their Anatolian Greek signature. We resolved the J2a-L397 clade to an unprecedented precision, with three internal markers which allow a finer discrimination than STRs. The ages of the three lineages (2.0–3.0 kya) are compatible with the beginning of the Greek colonial period, in the 8th century BCE."

"We provided here the strongest temporal and distributional evidence so far for markers which can be attributed to the Greek settlement of Magna Graecia. This process cannot be expected to have conveyed only J2a-L397, but other lineages as well: for example E-V1359, which left a clear signal across the Mediterranean28,55. J2a-L397 in Central-Southern Continental Italy accounts for only 13% (24/182) of Hg J. At a face value this can be taken as a bottom figure for the Greek contribution to the gene pool of the region."

A finely resolved phylogeny of Y chromosome Hg J illuminates the processes of Phoenician and Greek colonizations in the Mediterranean

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-25912-9

This thread has been viewed 12589 times.

Back