LivingDNA is way off, but why?

The raw genetic data from LivingDNA is very close to that from Ancestry. It is their reference populations and their calculators that suck.

Received my Living dna results yesterday, which only took 1 month from the day they received my specimen! I took the test because I read it was the best test for British people.

My own paper trail gives me:
25% Northwest Scotland
25% County Durham
25% West Yorkshire
12.5% North Yorkshire
12.5% Cumbria

What I get from Living Dna:
49.3% Northwest Scotland
20.4% South Yorkshire
5.4% Central England
5.1% Northumbria
4.1% Cumbria
3.4% Ireland
2.7% Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland
2.2% Northwest England
1.2% Devon

Also 3.1% Scandinavia.

As West Yorkshire is included in the South Yorkshire Reference, 20% is not far off.

But they have given me way too much Northwest Scotland,( 49.3%?) County Durham comes under Northumbria but I have only been given 5.1% so way off on that area. Likewise they have given me too little Cumbria and North Yorkshire.

Given me a lot to think about!

is Eupedia still in bed with Living DNA ?

When I have some spare cash built up, I may take the 23andMe ancestry test just to see how it compares to LivingDNA.

Received my Living dna results yesterday, which only took 1 month from the day they received my specimen! I took the test because I read it was the best test for British people.

My own paper trail gives me:
25% Northwest Scotland
25% County Durham
25% West Yorkshire
12.5% North Yorkshire
12.5% Cumbria

What I get from Living Dna:
49.3% Northwest Scotland
20.4% South Yorkshire
5.4% Central England
5.1% Northumbria
4.1% Cumbria
3.4% Ireland
2.7% Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland
2.2% Northwest England
1.2% Devon

Also 3.1% Scandinavia.

As West Yorkshire is included in the South Yorkshire Reference, 20% is not far off.

But they have given me way too much Northwest Scotland,( 49.3%?) County Durham comes under Northumbria but I have only been given 5.1% so way off on that area. Likewise they have given me too little Cumbria and North Yorkshire.

Given me a lot to think about!

A number of Scottish moved to the Northern & NE corners of England for the mining, and a lesser extent than the Irish for shipping, industries. It's why around places like Newcastle you've got the Geordie accent & then you've the separate dying out pitmatic dialects (with the rolling Rs of the Scots) of the once close knit mining families/communities. This however likely isn't the issue for you.

There's also the fact those from the NE corner of England can be very "Germanic" in appearance & genetics as shown when researchers did some testing on a Geordie and found he was seven times "Anglo Saxon" versus Celtic years ago. The NW corner of Scotland would include Scandinavian influence from the Vikings & apparently Danish Viking DNA/Anglo Saxon DNA is nigh on impossible to separate. This is likely the issue for you.

Given your other results posted elsewhere I wouldn't say LivingDNA's exactly "wrong" per say as more they need more (or better) samples.

LivingDNA and FTDNA are far worse autosomally than ancestry and 23andme - 23andme is definitely the best in this regard, as they don't claim to be able to do unrealistic things (such as being able to identify what percentage of you is genetically Irish).

Only from transferred data, but livingDNA predicted I was about 5% Celtic!

Ancestry & 23&me aren't that great. I've never been impressed with either & I've a thoroughly researched ancestry. Besides it's been proven by a researcher that 23&me confuses Italian/Mediterranean as Ashkenazi.

As for LivingDNA predicting you're 5% Celtic there's Welsh who share a genetic similarity with Ashkenazi Jews. So it's not wrong as more you just don't know that little fact.

A number of Scottish moved to the Northern & NE corners of England for the mining, and a lesser extent than the Irish for shipping, industries. It's why around places like Newcastle you've got the Geordie accent & then you've the separate dying out pitmatic dialects (with the rolling Rs of the Scots) of the once close knit mining families/communities. This however likely isn't the issue for you.

Hello Nacht
Regarding Northumbria, I believe these dialects were already long in place possibly hundereds of years before mining, if you mean during the Industrial age etc.

The Northumbrian Dialect is strongly derived from the old Anglian and Scandinavian languages. The Lowland Scots accent is from much the same,and is distinct from the Dominant Gallic/Celtic language area's. It is believed to of originated from the Anglo-Saxon Settlement, (mainly Anglian ) of Northumbria, during the 5th to 9th Centuries. Two Anglo Saxon kingdoms united, to form what became known as Northumbria, one in the North known as 'Bernicia', and one in the South known as 'Deira',reaching as far as the Humber river.

Northumbria had also once stretched much further North, and included much of what is now known as Lowland Scotland,including Edinburgh, and beyond even the Clyde, and this is the root of the 'Scots Anglian/English' dialect, which is very distinct but can be seen to be very close and recognisable by people of the Northumberland and Durham areas etc today.

'Pitmatic' is mostly found further south of the Tyne, in County Durham, and is similarly derived but includes a lot of old Cumbrian/Norse influences, and streches in a band from coast to coast, ie People from the West, ie Lake district, speak virtually the same dialect in the East of County Durham.

Regarding 'Geordie' people still cannot understand how Geordie, today, has so much seemingly strong Scandinavian influence's in their dialects, especially when the area, North of the Tyne etc has very few documented Viking placenames, and settlement names etc.

The Northumbria,area North of the Tyne, ( previously Bernicia )was believed to of remained mostly 'Anglo-Saxon' during the additional Viking/Scandinavian/Invasions and settlements, of the 9th to early 11th century. The area has very few placenames and Settlement evidence from the Viking periods which would be expected, knowing the root of the dialects.

One reason not given much thought, could possibly be due to an influx of large refugee's fleeing area's devastated by the 'Norman Invasions, and the later 'Harrying of the North' after the failed Anglo-Saxon rebelions, which mostly began in Durham 1069, after 700 hundred Normans were believed killed there.

That large numbers fled their traditional homes, to the North, and oversea's, is an accepted view. These large movements of peoples were mostly of Anglo/Scandinavian descent and culture, and were fleeing from the Southern area's of Durham,Yorkshire,and Lincolnshire etc, areas that were previously heavily settled by both mainly Anglian (Anglo-Saxon), and Scandinavian ( Viking ) peoples with cultures and dialects that had been established for nearly 200 years.

People are still trying to locate and find out how these distinct two Northern dialects came to exist and where they came from.

Regarding Living DNA and their results I think Northumbria % needs to be clarified, as 'Northumbria' could also genetically include both, Scotland, and England.

Northumbria previously included, Galloway, Dumfries, Cumbria, Northumberland, Yorkshire, Durham, and even other area's etc which could all be deemed 'Northumbrian'.

Last edited:
I used LivingDNA because Expedia recommended it. For one fee I got Y-DNA down to G-Z726, where FTDNA had only given me G-M201 (the basal) for a price three times as much, plus mtDNA and autosomal. My only complaint with the latter is they have me more English than German, which I “believe” is backwards.

They were, for me, a good deal.

They ahve psoted on their blog that they have tested and are going to set an update to increase continental germanic sample and that increased the german ancestry to many west german

I looked at their page and see that they started selling pickled cabbage and green horses on the walls !... :eek2:This is likely to make you more acrid to remember their promises ...

And... besides their pickled cabbage they no longer deliver raw data and haplogroups !?
than maybe overpricing...?

The raw genetic data from LivingDNA is very close to that from Ancestry. It is their reference populations and their calculators that suck.
I beg to differ. LDNA is more in-depth than ADNA, having taken both. While LDNA does lump all my British Isles-compatible heritage from North Sea neighbours into the Isles, which is my majority shared between companies, it gets my subregions down pat in Caution mode, with my percentages outside of the scope of Islander-type genes being only those truly distant, like Aegean and Pashtun. This forces me to do real detective work, to split hairs regarding Isles roots and to isolate totally foreign roots, like wheat from chaff. I wouldn't notice the bizarre outside ancestries, nor keep myself from seeing the forest for the trees, without LDNA to bring true differences out of the woodwork and that keeps me from sweating the small stuff. I have already discovered a possible Croatian or Hungarian source via an Austrian line through likely Moravian German colonial ancestors, probably sourced to the refugees of Turkish invasions and their attacks on the Gates of Vienna, with atypical surnames in my family tree that don't seem German. I would have assumed they were German, however, due to their birthplaces before America in the colonial period and their self-identification within the colonies, as part of the German population. My only real confusion, is Pashtun, which is Afghanistan/Pakistan, which would have to come from before the 19th century British Empire, in m estimation and I don't know how that's possible, except a possible East India Company sailor. I saw there was at least one recorded East Indian in colonial Maryland, but don't know how to factor that, if relevant.

I think its because when it comes to British results they have too much British samples and too little other reference samples so it could be completely inaccurate and tell you you are 80%+ British when you barely have British dna.
Correct me if I am wrong.

This thread has been viewed 18656 times.

Back