AURA: Notre Dame Basilica Light Show (CA)

It's fabulous. As with any complex space crowded with works of art, you miss so much, normally, because it's sort of like sensory overload: "Stendhal syndrome" in a smaller way. This might rectify that.

I'm interested in seeing what they can do in the future as well, with other famous structures.

They should do it at the Vatican, San Marco, etc. I could go on and on...Notre Dame in Paris definitely, and Sacre Coeur.

As to San Marco I'd love to see lights on the floor. The constant flooding has damaged the often light green tiles and mosaics and they almost seem to undulate like the sea itself even in normal light. Lights would enhance that effect, that symbiosis between the sea and Venezia.

You know what would be spectacular? What if they used light effects to superimpose what Pompeii used to be like on top of the ruins as you walk by???? They could do that in the forum, the Acropolis, any number of places.

They should do it at the Vatican, San Marco, etc. I could go on and on...Notre Dame in Paris definitely, and Sacre Coeur.

As to San Marco I'd love to see lights on the floor. The constant flooding has damaged the often light green tiles and mosaics and they almost seem to undulate like the sea itself even in normal light. Lights would enhance that effect, that symbiosis between the sea and Venezia.

You know what would be spectacular? What if they used light effects to superimpose what Pompeii used to be like on top of the ruins as you walk by???? They could do that in the forum, the Acropolis, any number of places.

That would be amazing, It would also be interesting if they combined holograms with it. People walking around, dressed in the attire of the historical period. Perhaps even playing out historical events.

gettyimages-1137428552.jpg

What sad news. We do not know what we have yet to see.

It's a tragedy, not only for France but for Europe, the world and Christianity. Notre Dame had endured through the centuries, survived the French revolution, wars and violence… and now it's crumbling down in a fire allegedly caused by simple renovation works. This is beyond sad.

Hopefully they will rebuild it with stronger materials and as close to the original as possible.

I'm still in a state of shock at this news of the fire. Wonderful patrimony of France and humanity. When I was in Paris, meeting the imposing Cathedral was undoubtedly one of the greatest emotions of my life. I am sure that the destroyed part will be rebuilt and that Notre Dame de Paris will return, once again, to reign absolute.

Last edited:
The artwork, the relics have been saved, thanks to chains of firefighters and volunteers *, but the vaults are gone, all that intricate wood tracery, the spire is down, and the rose windows have exploded. Dear God, what a tragedy.

I'm sure they'll rebuild, but so much has been lost in one day. Even Hitler didn't dare to blow it up, and look what has happened.

*Reminds me of what I've read of the "mud angels" who worked countless days in Florence after the great flood of 1966.

Perhaps it's only in times of devastation that people realize they do indeed value their patrimony.

(translated from this website)

The most precious relic preserved at Notre Dame is the Holy Crown, placed, according to Catholic belief, on Jesus' head shortly before his crucifixion. It consists of a "circle of rushes joined in bundles and held by gold threads, 21 centimetres in diameter, on which the thorns were placed", according to the site of the cathedral. This relic was "saved" from the flames on Monday, as was the tunic of Saint Louis, also kept in the cathedral, according to its rector.

T31491.jpg

couronne.jpg

In addition to the Holy Crown, Notre Dame keeps two other relics of Christ's Passion: a piece of the Cross and a nail of the Passion.

In addition, three relics were nestled in the rooster above the spire that collapsed on Monday evening: a plot of the Holy Crown of Thorns, a relic of Saint Denis and one of Saint Genevieve.

The Great Organ

Among the three organs of Notre-Dame, the great organ, with its five keyboards, 109 manuals and nearly 8,000 pipes, is the most remarkable.

P-L-7128-1-1024x683.jpg

Built from the 15th century onwards, the organ gradually expanded until it reached its current size in the 18th century. It passed through the Revolution without damage, "probably thanks to the interpretation of patriotic music" according to the site of the cathedral.

The Rose windows

The three rose windows of Notre-Dame de Paris, stained glass windows representing the flowers of paradise, were built in the 13th century and then renovated several times. The north and south rose windows, the two largest, are 13 metres in diameter.

283-ND-Paris-6589-1024x683.jpg

In medallions, they depict prophets, saints, angels, kings, scenes from the lives of saints, etc. The three rosettes present respectively in their center the Virgin, the Child Jesus and Christ in majesty.

37 representations of the Virgin Mary

In the sanctuary, leaning against the south-eastern pillar of the transept, a Virgin and Child, sculpted in the middle of the 14th century, is the best known of the 37 representations of the Virgin in the cathedral.

Behind the altar is the monumental statue made by sculptor Nicolas Coustou: a Pieta commissioned by Louis XIV according to the wishes of his father Louis XIII. Made between 1712 and 1728, the statue of the weeping Virgin Mary, gathering on her lap the body of Christ descended from the cross.

800px-Pr-sentation-des-nouvelles-cloches-de-Notre-Dame-de-Paris-en-2013-02.jpg

Last Thursday, 16 copper statues representing the 12 apostles and the four evangelists had been removed from the spire of the cathedral to be restored and thus escaped the disaster.

The grand Mays

Between 1630 and 1707, the Guild of Parisian Goldsmiths offered a painting to the cathedral every May the 1st. Of these 76 "Grand Mays", 13 are now presented in the various chapels of the nave.

On the west wall of the Chapel of Saint Guillaume is hung one of the most beautiful paintings of the cathedral: The Visitation of Jean Jouvenet (1716), an 18th century masterpiece, and the remains of the cathedral's baroque choir.

P-L-2933-1024x1019.jpg

The Bourdon
In the south tower is the largest bell of Notre-Dame called the "Bourdon" (bumblebee). It is sounded for major Catholic holidays, and at major events.

Le Bourdon was melted more than 300 years ago and was christened "Emmanuel" by his godfather Louis XIV. It weighs 13 tons and its leaf, the part inside the bell that hits against the walls to produce the sound, weighs 500 kilos.

1024px-Bourdon-notre-dame-paris-tour-sud.jpg

This is the sort of talk which gets my blood boiling:

Did you know there never was a "white, Christian, France"????? REALLY????

Excuse me, in addition to having been brainwashed by post modernist Marxists, if you say something like that you prove you obviously never took a history course in your life. In fact, you're a functional ILLITERATE!

"Summary of this article: "Out of the ashes should rise a transgender phoenix of color""

Absolutely complete bilge. Just SHUT UP! One billion dollars has been pledged to rebuilt it exactly as it was. You want something different, collect the money and try to get it built.

These people are complete MORONS!

This is the sort of talk which gets my blood boiling:

Did you know there never was a "white, Christian, France"????? REALLY????

Excuse me, in addition to having been brainwashed by post modernist Marxists, if you say something like that you prove you obviously never took a history course in your life. In fact, you're a functional ILLITERATE!

"Summary of this article: "Out of the ashes should rise a transgender phoenix of color""

Absolutely complete bilge. Just SHUT UP! One billion dollars has been pledged to rebuilt it exactly as it was. You want something different, collect the money and try to get it built.

These people are complete MORONS!

Far-left extremists are truly brazen in their stupidity.

These people perceive the world in an inversion of reality.

It's a tragedy, not only for France but for Europe, the world and Christianity. Notre Dame had endured through the centuries, survived the French revolution, wars and violence… and now it's crumbling down in a fire allegedly caused by simple renovation works. This is beyond sad.
I agree with what you said. I also applaud France for recognizing the 200+ people who died in Sri Lanka due to the heinous church bombings fueled by hatred and discrimination

the loss is great,

Fire inputs carbon in the wall and Frescos,
somethings will never look the same.

and trying to soft the pain,
I 'll tell what my daughter said to her sister (my other) when she ask where it is,
-The home of Quasimodo.

I hope Quasimodo fairytale survive,
and not burned.

quasimodo.gif

The French Senate has voted: Notre Dame is to be restored exactly as it was.

Thank goodness sanity has prevailed.

This thread has been viewed 9982 times.

Back