Alexandra_K

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Epirus, Vlach, Arvanite, Kephalonia, Kea
Y-DNA haplogroup
J1-PF7263 (BY38105)
mtDNA haplogroup
A4a1 (A1a)
Hello, my father tested at 23andme and his y dna haplogroup was found to be J1. He is Greek. I am new in this and I don't have a lot of knowledge on the subject but I was wondering if in this case J1 is ancient/ native or if it could be due to Arab/Turkish or maybe even Avar invasions.

some j1 clade was semitic origin(phoenician settled and established colony around greece).

every j1 was not semitic origin. some j1 clade caucasian anatolid origin.

Hello, my father tested at 23andme and his y dna haplogroup was found to be J1. He is Greek. I am new in this and I don't have a lot of knowledge on the subject but I was wondering if in this case J1 is ancient/ native or if it could be due to Arab/Turkish or maybe even Avar invasions.

J1 can't tell you to much thing. What is your sub haplogroup?

You can have a J1 which is just shown in Iran, so maybe you are grandson of one of the Darius Soilder.

Or If have Crete origin, and your J1 sub group related with Egypt, your ancesters maybe come to Greece in Mehmet Ali Pasha Egypt Period.

If you have common J1 group in Greece, it could be related with Phoenicians

I can extent this list :grin:

Thank you guys! 23andme just gives him J-M267 which I read is synonymous to J1. Is there a way to find out more using the 23andme raw data?

Thank you guys! 23andme just gives him J-M267 which I read is synonymous to J1. Is there a way to find out more using the 23andme raw data?

View attachment 10230

J-M267 is the general name so we have two options.

*You are really pure J-M267 which hasn't evolved since 32000 years

*You need to do deep Y-dna test and learn your current sub-group

View attachment 10231

What is your Paternal history?

Thank you Boreas. I cannot open the attachments you send me. We just know that my father's father as well as his grandfather both came from Kephalonia, an Ionian island (in Western Greece). Probably some generations before them still came from the same island, although we don't know with great certainty.

Kephalonia has been under Venetian rule and I can imagine there have been also raids/invasions by Arabs as in most islands. Greece as a whole was also occupied by the Ottomans of course.
His autosomal results include: appr. 61% Balkan, 24% Italian, almost 4% West Asian (Turkish) and North African and the rest are broadly S.European or unassigned.

His autosomal matches include moslty Greeks, Italians, Balkanic people and Eastern Europeans, some Turks etc.

So he would have to test with another company from the beginning in order to know his sub-group? He cannot use the raw data from 23andme in some way in order to refine his y-dna result?

Thank you, ihype02, it seems I have to get more refined results in order to have a clearer idea. I was only hoping to be able to do that by uploading the raw data at some third party vendor instead of testing again.

Thank you, ihype02, it seems I have to get more refined results in order to have a clearer idea. I was only hoping to be able to do that by uploading the raw data at some third party vendor instead of testing again.
Y-DNA only represent 2% of the DNA. It is carried from to father to son only, therefore it does not mean much, if it was an foreigner he was heavily mixed with natives as his autosomal DNA indicates.

Thank you ihype02. I read that J1 is possibly linked also to Etruscans. Would it be far fetched to think that in Greece it can at least for a part represent the Pelasgoi? Probably exaggerated but it crossed my mind.

Search the history of the island and sub-halpogroup. You can most likely verify whenever it is European or Asian based on sub-halpogroup.

Thanks again! I would like to ask you again if there is any way to discover your sub-haplogroup without testing again at another company? I didn't understand if in the end if there is such a possibility.

Thanks again! I would like to ask you again if there is any way to discover your sub-haplogroup without testing again at another company? I didn't understand if in the end if there is such a possibility.
Are you sure you didn't get the full haplogroup? It usually comes like J1a-56a+dsfas8df7asd8f etc? It depends on your request I guess, ask the company about it.

Ok, I'll do so, thank you!

This thread has been viewed 22606 times.

Back