Balto-Slavic J1c7a in Kent, England

Twilight

Reaction score
Ethnic group
15/32 British, 5/32 German, 9/64 Irish, 1/8 Scots Gaelic, 5/64 French, 1/32 Welsh
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b-U152-Z56-BY3957
mtDNA haplogroup
J1c7a
Hello there guys.
I was wondering if I can get some prehistory of the Anglo-Saxons.
Apparently I have Mtdna J1c7a, my direct maternal ancestor Martha Dunks (1797-1870) was born in Seal,Kent. Kent was the home of the Jutish Kingdom of Kent. However, it appears that Mtdna J1c7a is common in Baltimore-Slavic and Jewish communities but rare in England and Scandinavia.

Apparently J1c7a was detected in a Polish archeological site from the Iron Age called Kowalewko Cemetery.
http://www.khazaria.com/genetics/aj-east-european-admixture.html
I was wondering if there was any chance the Jutes came into contact with the Proto-Slavic tribes at some point in Ancient Germanic history?

Or was J1c7a a minority lineage in Neolithic Denmark?

This mtDNA is originally Eastern European, yes, but was probably carried to the Middle East by the Iranian branch of Indo-Europeans given it has a presence in Iran that is unquestionably not Slavic. I would wager this is also the source of this mtDNA in Ashkenazim. Its presence in England is likely due to the Corded mtDNA pool present in the Unetice culture, which is the ultimate Urheimat of Western Europeans. I see this as far more likely that the idea of distant Slavic heritage on the maternal line.

This mtDNA is originally Eastern European, yes, but was probably carried to the Middle East by the Iranian branch of Indo-Europeans given it has a presence in Iran that is unquestionably not Slavic. I would wager this is also the source of this mtDNA in Ashkenazim. Its presence in England is likely due to the Corded mtDNA pool present in the Unetice culture, which is the ultimate Urheimat of Western Europeans. I see this as far more likely that the idea of distant Slavic heritage on the maternal line.
Thank you ToBeOrNotToBe. I suppose J1c’s alleged Ydna equivalent; Ydna J2b is detected in the Tumulous Culture, interestingly J2b is not present in Atlantic Bronze Age or the Proto-Germanic Elp Culture. I suppose Mtdna J1c7a could’ve intermarried with Unitice Culture’s Ydna R1a-L664 clansmen.
https://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_J_mtDNA.shtml
https://www.eupedia.com/europe/neolithic_europe_map.shtml

J1c7a is found in Iran?

AFAIK Kowalewko was an Iron Age East Germanic site, not a Balto-Slavic one.

It is common in modern Poles due to the assimilation of Goths, Vandals, etc.

Have you learned any more about your J1c7a heritage? I also have this MtDNA haplogroup, but I know where it comes from, and have cousins on 23andMe from it with the same kind of ancestry. I won't mention it just yet as I want to do the guess ethnic threads before I reveal :)

Have you learned any more about your J1c7a heritage? I also have this MtDNA haplogroup, but I know where it comes from, and have cousins on 23andMe from it with the same kind of ancestry. I won't mention it just yet as I want to do the guess ethnic threads before I reveal :)
Hey kdm
Just reminiscing on the old question. Apparently the Swedes now have the most J1c7a members in familytreedna. I thought king Alfred drove the Vikings to East Anglia; Norfolk. But here again, our Saxon ancestors did say that thay drove the Celts to Brittany and Wales; instead of assimilation. So ?Alfred driving the Vikings Danes out of Kent? might be another Medieval propaganda.
it would be good to see Great?..Grandma J1c7a Viking in reconstructed form. :)

This thread has been viewed 7696 times.

Back