Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4th Century BC Privileged Social Class Roman Skeletons to undergo DNA Testing

Y-DNA haplogroup
    (R1b-F1794) R-M269
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

Ethnic group
    Italian

2 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1981 View Post
    I've stated this before, but whenever I see Roman busts, I don't see any similarity between the large immigrant communities of Italians in places like Canada and USA. I'm not sure why this is, perhaps because those immigrants came largely from the south of Italy.

The bust Angela posted looks more like a modern French male, and to a lesser extent a English male (of the non-Nordic variety).
    Excuse me AARON, but your "opinion" has absolutely nothing to do with the article.

Ethnic group
    Multiracial Brazilian

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1981 View Post
    I've stated this before, but whenever I see Roman busts, I don't see any similarity between the large immigrant communities of Italians in places like Canada and USA. I'm not sure why this is, perhaps because those immigrants came largely from the south of Italy.

The bust Angela posted looks more like a modern French male, and to a lesser extent a English male (of the non-Nordic variety).
    Really? For me it's exactly the opposite experience: every time I see a Roman bust, I think My God, these people are exactly the same as the Italian tourists in my city (Italians and Portuguese are the most numerous foreign tourists here) and a lot of Italian-Brazilians! I swear I have seen some Italians who look identical to some of those busts. Maybe that may have something to do with subjective impressions, or maybe with the point of origin of the immigrants (and tourists) we're seeing.

Most immigrants from Italy (and there are a whole 30 million descendants of them now in Brazil) came here, mainly in the period 1870-1930, from the North & Central Italy, not from the South. But since then many of them have mixed extensively with the descendants of Portuguese and Spaniards, so they probably became a bit more "southern-shifted" than unadmixed Northern Italians.

Ethnic group
    Italian

1 members found this post helpful.
    See the following thread for a discussion of these phenotypes as it's off topic here.
    https://www.eupedia.com/forum/thread...022#post547022

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Should be genetically similar to Northern Italians, if it were similar to Southern Germanics like the Hallstatt genome was, I wouldn’t be too shocked. If it were more NW Euro than that, it would be massively unexpected. Same goes for more Southern European - there is no reasonable way to assume the genetic makeup of Italians hasn’t changed somewhat.

My guess...true 100% ancient romans, those who lived in Rome in 500 BC, are gone (too much wars and immigration) but the other Italic populations of Central Italy are still living with little alterations.

Utilizzando Tapatalk

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z36

I would be very surprised if these ancient Roman remains were more northern-shifted than the Mycenaean Greeks.

They should come out much more Southern than Northern European.

Ethnic group
    Italian

2 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vallicanus View Post
    I would be very surprised if these ancient Roman remains were more northern-shifted than the Mycenaean Greeks.

They should come out much more Southern than Northern European.
    These Romans are 4th Century BC people, Mycenaeans are on average 1000 years older than these Romans. I do not think we can make comparisons. In 4th Century BC the Romans were already mixed together.

A comparison should be made between the Mycenaeans and the Latins of the Latial culture, in particular the oldest remains of the late Bronze Age, which however are more recent than the Mycenaeans.

Unfortunately, just as it happens for Proto-Villanovans, we have very few remains because they practiced mostly the incineration.
    Last edited by Pax Augusta; 24-06-18 at 14:32.

I think it will turn out to be J2a and R1b, for obvious reasons.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123