4,000 yo chariots found in northern India

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
That's certainly a biggie that plugs a hole.

I can't find any more specific information that provided in this article

See:
https://www.archaeology.org/news/6666-180605-india-copper-decorations

"UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA—Outlook India reports that three chariots dating to about 1800 B.C. have been unearthed in northern India, at a site made up of eight burials. “The wheels rotated on a fixed axle linked by a draft pole to the yoke of a pair of animals,” said S. K. Manjul of the Institute of Archaeology in Delhi. “The axle was attached with a superstructure consisting of a platform protected by side-screens and a high dashboard.” Copper shaped into triangles thought to represent the rays of the sun decorated the wheels and the pole. Swords with copper-covered hilts, shields, daggers, a helmet, beads, and combs were also recovered. Manjul said the coffins in the burial pits were decorated with copper-plated figures with horns and leafy crowns, suggesting those buried in them may have been royalty. The sides of the coffins were decorated with floral motifs. "

very interesting, found near Sanauli village, found this video
also a copper sword... no incineration... no tumulus? the objects are quite exotic except the comb motive, I would say I have seen it in another place.

I'd like to see both the swords and the charriot.
What do they mean by sword and charriot?
1800 BC is the very earliest date for decent swords, but there existed quite long daggers before.
And they claim there were chariots in Mesopotamia 2000 BC.
Sure they don't confuse chariots with wagons?

I'd like to see both the swords and the charriot.
What do they mean by sword and charriot?
1800 BC is the very earliest date for decent swords, but there existed quite long daggers before.
And they claim there were chariots in Mesopotamia 2000 BC.
Sure they don't confuse chariots with wagons?

As I said, I couldn't find anything other than this. Did you follow the link to outlook India?
https://www.outlookindia.com/newssc...perbronze-age-chariots-by-manish-sain/1322979

They claim it's not Harappan, but a different culture, and that there were both swords and daggers.

I don't think it's too early for some steppe introgression, if that's what's worrying you.

Last edited:
The Indo-Aryans are supposed to have arrived around the Hindu Kush around 1800 BCE. Even though they did not start politically conquering Uttar Pradesh until 1200-1100 BCE, it is completely conceivable that they already launched some forays into the regions as soon as they arrived in Punjab. They probably just lacked the numbers to extend themselves over such a large region at once.

As I said, I couldn't find anything other than this. Did you follow the link to outlook India?
https://www.outlookindia.com/newssc...perbronze-age-chariots-by-manish-sain/1322979

They claim it's not Harappan, but a different culture, and that there were both swords and daggers.

I don't think it's too early for some steppe introgression, if that's what's worrying you.

yes, I know, the info is very scant, and I didn't find anything more either
as Maciamo says, Indo-Aryan chariots 1800 BC may be possible,
but I'm even more surprised by the 'swords'
if they find one decent sword, they should find many more from that date on in India
and chariots in Mesopotamia 2000 BC ? no

The ring and dot pattern's on the bronze item are interesting, as its a common occurrence on many post bronze age item's found throughout Europe, as well, especially Roman, post Roman, and pre christian, and beyond.

In the Northern area's of Europe they are sometimes associated with triangular patterns alongside,or next to ring and dot etc, and it seems these are formed with a similar association. It will be interesting to find out where these originate, ( Indo- European ? ) or weather the decorations are more of a global standard use.

The horned symbols look as though they are part of some headdress association, not too distant from late Bronze age/Iron age depictions of Northern Europe etc, if that is what they are, its hard to see clearly.

One of the most visual evidence's of this association ( ring & dot, and triangular decoration ) is to be found in the masonry decoration surrounding the top area of 'Mausoleum of Theodoric' in Ravenna Italy c 520 AD.

Last edited:
Last edited:
why they also killed/burried the horses?
Probably so the man could take his horses with him to the afterlife.
Or for transportation to the afterlife.

The heroon shaft graves from lefkandi euboea (ca. 1000 bc) also had horses buried there alongside people

The photo in that article should be from a somewhere else. See the twitter account of Vagheesh Narasimhan ( Link in Angela's #8 post)

you are correct,
it is from the China ones.

found the correct ones,

So next is to compare them with the ones of Sintastha, or the ones from Messopotamia,
since the differences are about 1-3 centuries,
that gives new dimensions in the theories,

wonder which theory are measuring now, to make a new coffin.

you are correct,
it is from the China ones.

found the correct ones,

So next is to compare them with the ones of Sintastha, or the ones from Messopotamia,
since the differences are about 1-3 centuries,
that gives new dimensions in the theories,

wonder which theory are measuring now, to make a new coffin.

Well, I'm confused too. What are your sources for this?

Making unsubstantiated claims is not very helpful, gentlemen.

These sure as heck look like Indian investigators being photographed with the finds!

https://www.indiatimes.com/news/ind...during-excavation-in-up-s-sanauli-346843.html

the link does not work

but indeed, I saw the hands on the pic, and they looked Indian to me

on the other hand, the pic with the horse skeletons suspiciously resembles a pic I've seen of a chariot and horse skeletons in a Chinese burial

and the article claiming there were chariots in Mesopotamia 2000 BC doesn't help either, it's simply not true

I search for moe info or photos
but seems not enough,

anyway most news say about 1800-2000 BC,
if you have better news, i would like too.

you have not viewed the video that I have attached? What Chinese people more brown! ;)

I just clicked on the link I provided. It works. Here it is again.

https://www.indiatimes.com/news/indi...li-346843.html

It's an article from an Indian newspaper, showing pictures of Indians examining what looks exactly like what was in the tweet. In this particular article there's no picture of a sword.

@Berun,
I know you don't like the steppe theory, but let's try to elevate the discussion above the level of the absurd, shall we? Unless the Indian archaeologists decided to send Indians, complete with saris, to China to take some pictures???

READ IT and look at the pictures.

This thread has been viewed 14157 times.

Back