Philosophy Was Nietzsche German or Polish?

He disliked Germans because he considered them a nation of conformists, unlike non-conformist Poles.

And this is one of main reasons why half of the Germans live
today abroad, for example in such coutries like Poland and US.
It could be also a reason of the lack of Nobility there, because
whole kighnthood was runnung in all directions from that boyrish
oportunistic-conformistic deadly stabile lifeless mentality.

He disliked Germans because he considered them a nation of conformists, unlike non-conformist Poles.

Must be why Poles are 90% Catholic and nationalistic while Germans are more atheist and religiously variable.

Must be why Poles are 90% Catholic and nationalistic while Germans are more atheist and religiously variable.

The Catholic Germans are just Austrians in disguise, though. :LOL:

Nationalism is rather seen as non-mainstream / non-conformistic in today's world.

Also Poles only elected a nationalistic government in 2015, before that we had centrist and leftist (in the early 2000s and late 1990s) governments.

Anyway please look at Communist times, East Germany vs. Poland - which was more conformistic to Communist rules?

According to all the Alabanians on this site he's an Albanian :).

According to all the Alabanians on this site he's an Albanian :).

You must be t-rolling. I have never heard any Albanian claim something so asinine as Nietzche being Albanian.

Sub Alpine could be accountable for anything really a multitude of European people could be that

It shouldn't be hard to find polish "ancestors" 3 generations back?

My brother often refers to his Polish descent, and in
later years he instituted researches with a view to establishing it, which met with some success. I know nothing
definite concerning these investigations, as a large number
of my brother's documents were lost after his breakdown in
health in Turin. The family tradition was that a certain
minor Polish nobleman named Nicki (pronounced Nietzky) -? had obtained the special favour of Augustus the Strong, King
of Poland, and had received the title of Count from him.
When, however, Stanislaus Leszcynski, the Pole, was made
King, our supposed ancestor became involved in a conspiracy
in favour of Saxony and the Protestants. He was sentenced
to death; but taking flight with his wife, who had just
given birth to a son, he wandered about with her for two
or three years as a fugitive through the small States
of Germany, during which time our great-grandmother
nursed and suckled her little boy herself. So the legend
runs, and our great-grandfather Nietzsche, who at the age
of ninety could still ride a horse at a gallop, is said to have
ascribed his hardiness to these circumstances. Unfortunately the dates do not seem to tally quite accurately ; in
any case, nothing definite can be said, as the first certain
date which is known about our great-great-grandfather
Nietzsche and his family belongs to the year 1709.
From his childhood onwards my brother always attached a certain importance to this somewhat mythical Polish
descent. He writes in the year 1883 https://ia902807.us.archive.org/.../youngnietzsche00fr.pdf

Friedrich Nietzsche claimed to be Polish on many occasions. He wrote for example:

1) "Und hiermit berühre ich die Frage der Rasse. Ich bin ein polnischer Edelmann pur sang, dem auch nicht ein Tropfen schlechtes Blut beigemischt ist, am wenigsten deutsches. Denke ich daran, wie oft ich unterwegs als Pole angeredet werde und von Polen selbst, wie selten man mich für einen Deutschen nimmt, so könnte es scheinen, dass ich nur zu den angesprenkelten Deutschen gehörte."

2) "Und doch waren meine Vorfahren polnische Edelleute: ich habe von daher viel Rassen-Instinkte im Leibe, wer weiss? Zuletzt gar noch das liberum veto."

3) "Ich danke dem Himmel, daß ich in allen meinen Instinkten Pole und nichts andres bin."

4) "Ich selbst bin immer noch Pole genug, um gegen Chopin den Rest der Musik hinzugeben."

5) "Meine Vorfahren waren polnische Edelleute, noch die Mutter meines Großvaters war Polin."

6) "Man hat mich gelehrt, die Herkunft meines Blutes und Namens auf polnische Edelleute zurückzuführen, welche Niëtzky hießen und etwa vor hundert Jahren ihre Heimat und ihren Adel aufgaben, unerträglichen religiösen Bedrückungen endlich weichend: es waren nämlich Protestanten."

And some more citations here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Nietzsche#Citizenship,_nationality_and_e thnicity

However, he is usually described as a German philosopher, for example in this video:

Nazi scholars claimed in the 1930s, that he was lying, and that his ancestors and surname were not Polish.

However, I've discovered this interview with a Pole who might be his distant relative, his surname is Nitzke:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/80016077

"(...)
- Doctor Nitzke, where were you born, please?
- The locality is Bralin, B-r-a-l-i-n, in Poland.
- Which part of Poland is that?
- That's Silesia.
- And tell me what the date of your birth was, please?
- The 21st of September 1905.
- Can you tell me something about your family background, what your father did for a living or so?
- My father was a businessman, he had a business [description of the business]
- And was it a Polish family?
- Yes, a Polish family, Polish family. Father was Polish, mother was Polish.
- Is your surname Polish? Your surname, Nitzke?
- Yes, it's Polish you know, but it is a little bit changed. It used to be quite different, it was changed under the Germans of course
[...] eventually my name is like that, it used to be Nitzke since I was born.
(...)
- Do you have any memories of WW1?
- Oh yes, of course.
- What memories do you have?
- I remember all the German troops going towards the Russian front, they were going through Bralin by train or even marching.
(...)
- Did your family suffer any privations?
- No, no, we had one of these German commanding officers, a colonel, he was billeted in our house, so we were protected. I mean, from the point of view of the Germans at that time, there was no trouble at all, because we, in Silesia, we were German citizens.
- What was the attitude of local Polish people in Silesia towards the war, when it comes to political issues?
- Well, you know, there was nothing special at that time. Because it was just a world war. And because we lived in Germany, so to speak, in Silesia. So of course everybody agreed with that.
- Did people feel loyal to the German Reich?
- At that time yes, the beginning of the war.
- Did it change?
- Yes it changed later on, towards the end of the war, and immediately after the war. Then the Polish nationality and Polish nationalism, they started to rise. And then there was an uprising in Silesia, three times.
- What did you see of that uprising?
- Well I didn't see it, in our part, in my part of Silesia, near Bralin, there was nothing to be seen, because the uprising was in Upper Silesia, in that part. (...)"

Another one, listed among Polish insurgents killed in Posener Aufstand (Polish uprising against German rule in Provinz Posen):

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...27_grudnia_1918_roku_do_8_marca_1920_roku.pdf

https://depot.ceon.pl/bitstream/handle/123456789/955/LISTA_STRAT_WERSJA_KSIAZKOWA.pdf?sequence=1

# 1259 - Nitsche Józef
"There was a legend in the Nietzsche family, to which Friedrich was happy to subscribe, to the effect that they were descended from members of the Polish nobility by the name of “Nietzky,” who had left their homeland to avoid persecution because of their Protestant faith. This gave the family a feeling of being different (and superior) in which Nietzsche indulged throughout his life. But subsequent genealogical research by one of his younger cousins has proved this legend to have no basis in fact."

On the otherhand, Nietzsche's paternal line goes back to Elias Nietzsche, born in Burkau, Bautzen, Saxony, Germany on August 13, 1569, in what had been the Mark of Lausitz:

"The March or Margraviate of Lusatia (German: Mark(grafschaft) Lausitz) was an eastern border march of the Holy Roman Empire in the lands settled by Polabian Slavs."

At least four generations of Nietzsches were born in Burkau.

"After the settlement of the formerly Germanic territories (the part largely corresponding to the former East Germany)[3] by the Slavic ancestors of the Sorbs in the 5th and 6th centuries CE,[2] the Sorbian language (or its predecessors) had been in use in much of what was the southern half of Eastern Germany for several centuries. The language still had its stronghold in (Upper and Lower) Lusatia,[2] where it enjoys national protection and fostering to the present day.

For people living in the medieval Northern Holy Roman Empire and its precursors, especially for the Saxons, the Wends (Wende) were heterogeneous groups and tribes of Slavic peoples living near Germanic settlement areas, in the area west of the River Oder, an area later entitled Germania Slavica, settled by the Polabian Slav tribes in the north and by others, such as the Sorbs and the Milceni, further south (see Sorbian March)."

Sorbian is on the Balto-Slavic branch of Indo-European language tree, as distinct from the Germanic branch.

Last edited:
Perhaps he was a Lusatian Sorb or a German of Slavic descent.
Other than his father, at least four generations of his paternal (Nietzsche) line were born in Burkau, Saxony, in what had been the Mark of Lausitz (March of Lusatia):

"The March or Margraviate of Lusatia (German: Mark(grafschaft) Lausitz) was an eastern border march of the Holy Roman Empire in the lands settled by Polabian Slavs. It arose in 965 in the course of the partition of the vast Marca Geronis. Ruled by several Saxon margravial dynasties, among them the House of Wettin, the lordship was contested by the Polish kings as well as by the Ascanian margraves of Brandenburg."

"...the Sorbs are the only descendants of the Polabian Slavs to have retained their identity and culture.

The Polabian language is now extinct. However, the two Sorbian languages are spoken by approximately 22,000-30,000 inhabitants[3] of the region and the languages are regarded by the government of Germany as official languages of the region."

Thus, a family legend could have been grounds for Nietzsche to claim that Poland, and not Germany, was his Fatherland.

Other than his father, at least four generations of his paternal (Nietzsche) line were born in Burkau, Saxony, in what had been the Mark of Lausitz (March of Lusatia):

"The March or Margraviate of Lusatia (German: Mark(grafschaft) Lausitz) was an eastern border march of the Holy Roman Empire in the lands settled by Polabian Slavs. It arose in 965 in the course of the partition of the vast Marca Geronis. Ruled by several Saxon margravial dynasties, among them the House of Wettin, the lordship was contested by the Polish kings as well as by the Ascanian margraves of Brandenburg."

"...the Sorbs are the only descendants of the Polabian Slavs to have retained their identity and culture.

The Polabian language is now extinct. However, the two Sorbian languages are spoken by approximately 22,000-30,000 inhabitants[3] of the region and the languages are regarded by the government of Germany as official languages of the region."

Thus, a family legend could have been grounds for Nietzsche to claim that Poland, and not Germany, was his Fatherland.

What many people don't know is that one of Germany's best football players, Michael Ballack, is a Sorb.

1704554271563.jpeg

And his actress is also of Sorbian origin.
1704554325111.jpeg1704554434681.jpeg1704554593966.jpeg

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 19892 times.

Back