Remains of possibly executed man from Anglo-Saxon England

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
See:
https://www.archaeology.org/news/6676-180608-england-executed-man

"BBC News reports that a well-preserved skeleton dating to the early eleventh century was unearthed in southeast England during an investigation ahead of the construction of a wind farm. The man, who died sometime between the ages of 25 and 35, had been buried without a coffin and on his own, rather than in a Christian cemetery, as would have been expected. Two cut marks found on the vertebrae in his neck would have been fatal, according to Jim Stevenson of Archaeology South East. He thinks the man was executed during the later Anglo-Saxon period. The man’s bones also show evidence of a healed fracture on his left arm, and stress on the vertebrae from repeated bending and twisting motions."

Sounds like, or seems like what would happen to your body from scything.

Now I've seen everything: courses on how to scythe! :)

Now, that's funny. :) I take your point. What's wrong with a lawn mower, preferably a sit down electric one? That's why I was so incredulous they're now giving courses in scything. More astounding is that people are taking them. :)

I've actually tried using one, back in Italy, where my relatives still have the old tools, although on display, however. It's back-breaking labor. The man in the video is right, however, in that you don't need to go to the gym and lift weights.

This reminds me of when my dad had a pond put onto his property. He had like two acres of cleared "grass" around it. He tried to cut the grass right around the pond using his sit down lawn mower, and wound up in the pond! I think that Italian cursing could probably be heard for a mile. :)

Still, he didn't revert to a scythe. He turned to the aptly named, weed eater or weed whacker or whipper snapper. Technology is a wonderful thing.

It would be interesting to get a DNA analysis of this man. There are only a few good Anglo-Saxon samples available at the moment. If it's a lower class worker I'm interested in knowing whether it is Ango-Saxon or Brythonic celt.

It would be interesting to get a DNA analysis of this man. There are only a few good Anglo-Saxon samples available at the moment. If it's a lower class worker I'm interested in knowing whether it is Ango-Saxon or Brythonic celt.

Yes, that had occurred to me as well. These new, sort of "untouched" remains can be a great resource.

It would be interesting to get a DNA analysis of this man. There are only a few good Anglo-Saxon samples available at the moment. If it's a lower class worker I'm interested in knowing whether it is Ango-Saxon or Brythonic celt

Could be a rogue Dane killed on St Brice's Day

I have those tools from my grandfather!! The old measure of the land in my region was daimt equals in a day mowed, day-mowed: daymt the Saxon languages come near!!! An amount of grain that 1 person could mow in a day. 50 daimt or more was a big farm in the nineteeth century! I have the same curiosity as I1a3 Young!

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

Mowe it , mow the land Saxons , before the Britons ask you for the pounds.

This thread has been viewed 7037 times.

Back