Pizza around the world

Sorry, Northener, but "fresh, natural ingredients" is a bit of an oxymoron when it comes to American food. This is only true for the last decades, and it's also "place" specific in the U.S, largely bi-coastal, or in large cities with people with money to spend.

One could say it all began with Alice Waters. I still use the "Chef Panisse" cookbook, fwiw. It's excellent.
"The 1970s saw the food sophistication offensive advance on a series of fronts. In Berkeley, California, chef Alice Waters, who thought of Elizabeth David as the one “person in the Anglophone world who was speaking her language,” made the kitchen of her restaurant, Chez Panisse, the epicenter of a NEW obsession with fresh, local ingredients. In 1976, it was also at Chez Panisse that chef Jeremiah Tower introduced his Northern Californian menu, in English, which included the local birthplaces of the ingredients. California cuisine, with its craftsmanship and idealism, was launched."

Neapolitans were using "fresh, natural" ingredients all along on their pizza, like basil, and fresh mozzarella, and tomatoes from the rich, volcanic soil of Campania, and pure olive oil.

People should be under no illusion that most Americans use "fresh, natural" ingredients in any of their cooking, and certainly not on pizza. Most of America eats pizza like this, or the chain delivery variety:

The video is very funny: "I wouldn't serve this to anyone, not even my dog." :) However, it's also pretty sad, particularly when you read the comments from Americans, who ask things like "What's wrong with it?" They have no idea what good food can taste like.

It's only in pizzeries in places like New York, and Boston, and Philly that you can get anything approximating good pizza. It's atrocious even in most of California.

As for that terrible short video on pizza, where the heck did you dig that up? Was it posted by some t-roll on theapricity or something like that. They should check their facts. Carlo Collodi was dead by the time the Pizza Margherita was invented. There is also nothing "left over" about mozzarella. It's made fresh every day in Italy. Plus, he was a Florentine. I can smell the anti-Mezzogiorno in his comment. The only thing I will grant is that it was a street food.

Italian women are Michelangelo in the kitchen, so when someone tries to push modern art on them, they are offended. Frozen processed food is not edible. It is junk food, and lacks real taste. The artists know the difference. Someone who throws some paint blobs on a canvas in 1 minute thinks her artwork is a Mona Lisa.

Italian women are Michelangelo in the kitchen, so when someone tries to push modern art on them, they are offended. Frozen processed food is not edible. It is junk food, and lacks real taste. The artists know the difference. Someone who throws some paint blobs on a canvas in 1 minute thinks her artwork is a Mona Lisa.

At first I thought the grandma on the left's chest was red from rage. I would have understood it. :) I think it was a sunburn, though.

Jovialis: Both sides of my family make Focaccia Barese, which is very tasty.

Looks delish. :)

We make focaccia in Liguria and the Lunigiana too, sometimes just salt and rosemary and olive oil, sometimes with onions, sometimes with olives or olives and onions. I like it a LOT, but it's not pizza. :)
IMG_4577.jpg

search

focaccia+cipolla.jpg

The only focaccia we make with cheese is the focaccia di Recco, but it's completely different from pizza. The soft cheese is put in between these paper thin sheets of dough. It has to be tasted to be believed: absolutely heavenly.
01_focaccia_di_recco_al_formaggio-1024x769.jpg

We also have cecina, made from chick pea flour, but again, not pizza.
030-lapia-centenaria-farinata-1024x692.jpg

Pizza must be one of the most famous dishes in the world. The pizza arrived late to Spain and we met it through the North American TV series as well as the Chinese food when the protagonists like Colombo asked for pizza at home and they took it to the police station, even in Spain we did not have food service at home so those factors did not attract our attention considering that the image was black and white and what they took to the mouth was a piece of amorphous food so I obviated as something strange that anecdotal part of the script without interest at least for the thickness of the population it is possible that people who traveled or had a higher purchasing power did know the pizza, the ordinary people do not.

The pizza that is prepared at home from the dough is incomparable but I think that in Spain most are consuming pizza from industrial brands that are sold in supermarkets and there are some truly horrible and some as the video says are edible and saves you from a hurry when there is no time.

I like them all but I try to avoid those that carry pork.

00118850400567____1__600x600.jpg

In Spain it is basically bought in supermarkets ready to put in the oven and that's it. This is one of the most consumed and passable brands.

They have also been Spanishized and there are restaurants where they serve chorizo, black pudding, cured ham, personally I do not like them; although I would eat them.

pizza-con-chorizo-y-verduras.jpg

Chorizo and vegetables

url

url
pizza-morcilla-mozzarella.jpg

Pizza de morcilla de Burgos.

pizza_de_paella11.jpg

pizza-espagnol-paella.jpg

Pizzas de paella.

Pizza must be one of the most famous dishes in the world. The pizza arrived late to Spain and we met it through the North American TV series as well as the Chinese food when the protagonists like Colombo asked for pizza at home and they took it to the police station, even in Spain we did not have food service at home so those factors did not attract our attention considering that the image was black and white and what they took to the mouth was a piece of amorphous food so I obviated as something strange that anecdotal part of the script without interest at least for the thickness of the population it is possible that people who traveled or had a higher purchasing power did know the pizza, the ordinary people do not.

The pizza that is prepared at home from the dough is incomparable but I think that in Spain most are consuming pizza from industrial brands that are sold in supermarkets and there are some truly horrible and some as the video says are edible and saves you from a hurry when there is no time.

I like them all but I try to avoid those that carry pork.

00118850400567____1__600x600.jpg

In Spain it is basically bought in supermarkets ready to put in the oven and that's it. This is one of the most consumed and passable brands.

They have also been Spanishized and there are restaurants where they serve chorizo, black pudding, cured ham, personally I do not like them; although I would eat them.

pizza-con-chorizo-y-verduras.jpg

Chorizo and vegetables

url

url
pizza-morcilla-mozzarella.jpg

Pizza de morcilla de Burgos.

pizza_de_paella11.jpg

pizza-espagnol-paella.jpg

Pizzas de paella.

I would eat one with chorizo and one with seafood as well. The pizza de paella shown, however, is completely raw. The dough has to be mostly on the edge of burning.

I honestly don't want to eat anyone's homemade pizza, except perhaps if it's made in a cast iron skillet. You have to have a wood burning pizza oven that gets to very high temperatures.

I've created monsters as far as my children are concerned by being very picky about food. My son is even pickier about food than I am. He won't eat pizza brought home in a box from the pizzeria. He says it steams in the box and it changes the consistency of the crust. He's correct, but sometimes I just don't want to go out to eat, and the pizzeria is exactly seven minutes away! I've figured out that if the box is opened for the ride home, and I reheat it in a cast iron frying pan after adding a little olive oil he'll eat it. He's a pain in the you know what...

Pizza made in a cast iron pan. Now that this recipe came up on my video feed, I'm going to try it, just divide it into portions for one pizza. In most of the pictures and videos I've seen, the pizza crust just doesn't look right. He knows what he's doing as far as the crust is concerned, and it looks damn good, that's for damn sure. Once you have the dough, it's really fast. The proofing takes a long time, but there's no work involved. You just have to plan ahead.

It has English subtitles.

2yFP5Ec.png

deleted

⚈ ❂ ♨ ⚉ ☉

Last edited:
The chorizo pizza is good I've also tried the pizza with Extremaduran blood sausage I love it is usually served in bars and restaurants more than in homes because as I said making a homemade pizza is expensive and occupies the tray of the oven buying all the ingredients usually leave for around € 50 when the median in a supermarket goes for € 2`75 approx. in pizza companies with home delivery the median can leave for 8'95 € approx. then people rarely do it at home.

Seafood is my favorite. The truth is that the paella pizza I do not know anyone who has tried it and I have never seen it.

Today I have bought a special pan for making paellas and I will try to make it.

The chorizo pizza is good I've also tried the pizza with Extremaduran blood sausage I love it is usually served in bars and restaurants more than in homes because as I said making a homemade pizza is expensive and occupies the tray of the oven buying all the ingredients usually leave for around € 50 when the median in a supermarket goes for € 2`75 approx. in pizza companies with home delivery the median can leave for 8'95 € approx. then people rarely do it at home.

Seafood is my favorite. The truth is that the paella pizza I do not know anyone who has tried it and I have never seen it.

Today I have bought a special pan for making paellas and I will try to make it.

Paella is one of the great dishes of the world, and one of my absolute favorites. Let us know how it goes. :)

OMG so many tasty pizza pictures, my favorite so far is Quattro Formaggi, with mixed cheese, not separately placed on the pizza
https://pizzerianapolicentrale.ro/

I know NY is supposed to have the best pizza in the US but I can say the best pizza I've had in the US are from CT and NJ. Sally's Apizza in New Haven and Razza in Jersey City beat anything I have ever had in NYC including the big name places Lucali, DiFara and Juliana's.

This thread has been viewed 17736 times.

Back