Which DNA ethnicity test is most accurate?

apie3000

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Ulster Scots, English, German, Swiss German, Probably Gaelic Irish
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-L21
mtDNA haplogroup
T1a1
I've taken both the 23andme and ancestryDNA test and transferred my results to Family Tree DNA, MyHeritage, and some other test. I got different results many times widely different results and I really only trust 23andMe and Ancestry but I'd like to know which DNA test is the most accurate.

I've taken both the 23andme and ancestryDNA test and transferred my results to Family Tree DNA, MyHeritage, and some other test. I got different results many times widely different results and I really only trust 23andMe and Ancestry but I'd like to know which DNA test is the most accurate.
I have taken 23andMe, Ancestry, and Family Tree tests, and have used the various results in several different calculators such as Gedmatch, GenePlaza, Gencove, and DNALand. I have gotten as many different sets of results. I have come to believe that ethnicity estimates provided by DNA testing companies are highly unreliable. DNA testing is mainly good for finding distant relatives. I personally use the ancestries of my various distant cousins to figure out the different threads of my ethnic heritage. And nothing substitutes for a good, documented genealogy.

I would say no ethnicity estimate is the best. They are different interpretations of the same raw data and their differences might illustrate patterns or hidden insights. Ancestry acknowledged that I’m part French Canadian. 23andMe acknowledged that I have ancestors from Belgium. FTDNA came closest percentage wise with 90% West and Central Europe. Gedmatch told me which modern reference populations I resemble the most.

Based on paper trail, shared DNA relatives, and recency of family history, the most precise for me were:

1. 23andMe
2. AncestryDNA
3. MyHeritage

I have 3600+ matches for my father on FTDNA, the biggest problem is that over half have no trees, and many are wrong. What I have noticed is, that since his family is so old in the US, he will match on several names, with no tree match. What keeps running through my head is that the matches must be father back, and some centimorgans must stay in tact longer than others. By this I mean, there will be matches with a 40 cM longest strand, but there will be no tree match with that individual, even though there may be 5 or 6 names in common. Not sure that makes any sense.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Eupedia Forum mobile app

This thread has been viewed 7474 times.

Back