Y dna showing in a woman

dietcokecan

Reaction score
hi.

long story short, ive done 3 tests, myheritage, 23andme, and ancestry.
i put my ancestry data into wegene to see what it would give me for my mtdna. (i have already done my mtdna and got the results but i just wanted to see if it would be accurate)
got my results and it gave me a paternal haplogroup.
i had a look at my ancestry raw data and i had data on Y... looked at my MH data and also had data there...
is this normal? (i assumed not!?)
i emailed ancestry and they refuse to tell me anything.
i
im a fully functional woman and ive had a baby lol

hi.

long story short, ive done 3 tests, myheritage, 23andme, and ancestry.
i put my ancestry data into wegene to see what it would give me for my mtdna. (i have already done my mtdna and got the results but i just wanted to see if it would be accurate)
got my results and it gave me a paternal haplogroup.
i had a look at my ancestry raw data and i had data on Y... looked at my MH data and also had data there...
is this normal? (i assumed not!?)
i emailed ancestry and they refuse to tell me anything.
i
im a fully functional woman and ive had a baby lol

I’m Assuming 23andme doesn’t show you with any Y Haplogroup.
If you don’t mind me asking:
Any MAJOR Discrepancy between AncestryDNA and 23andme results? If Yes, than the AncestryDNA results are NOT Yours, or are compromise.
Did you upload the 23andme raw-data to WeGene too.
What’s the AncestryDNA/WeGene Y Haplogroup?
Obviously if you had a child, it’s strange being assigned a Y Haplo..
Somebody maybe made a Mistake.

23andme assigns Y haplogroups to Women if they connect/Share results with the Father or a Brother.
It doesn’t mean that they have a Y chromosome. It’s just for reference, or curiosity.

23andme has zero Ydna for me.

ancestry and myheritage give the same close matches - they are defo both my kits.
this is tricky to explain but..
one test on one snp will give CC/GG/etc, but the same snp on the other test comes back as 0 0. its there but theres nothing in it.
ive noticed a couple of those.
wegene gives me R1b1a1a2, which i believe is R-M269. super common. ancestry doesnt give me one, but i can see data on the Y's in the raw. i also uploaded to promethease and i get mtdna and ydna markers

the kits are 10000% mine, because of the consistant matches.
ive asked a few people about this and the running theory seems to be chimerism. my eyes are different colour. my daughter was a twin extremely early on but the 2nd disappeared. i assume this is what happened to me

Wow, so you had a twin Brother at the time of Conception, but soon after you Blended in to 1 Person, but you retained His DNA + Y chromosome in some of your cells.
More or Less.
So if you test again with 23andme there is a chance that you could get a Y chromosome.
Interesting. :)

If it was chimerism, wouldn't you have two different sets of DNA, one with Y-DNA and one without? If your 23andme results lack the Y-DNA it would mean that it's a different set from the two other companies. But then it shouldn't be identical. It should be like a sibling DNA, with about 50% similarity.

i had another look at the 23andme data and it shows the SRY gene and a few others. no idea if that helps or hinders.

This happened with my mother. Her ancestrydna file uploaded to morely predicts R1b-L23 and or I1. Considering R1b-L23 is prevalent in Albanians I find it surprising. Of course she doesn't have a Y chromosome so Idk how it predicted it.

This happened with my mother. Her ancestrydna file uploaded to morely predicts R1b-L23 and or I1. Considering R1b-L23 is prevalent in Albanians I find it surprising. Of course she doesn't have a Y chromosome so Idk how it predicted it.
the same y group came up on morleys predictor but less specific. have you looked at her raw data?

Women also might have a few Y SNPs, just check this study, they tried to predict Y-DNA haplogroups of female samples (karyotype XX), of course they got nonsensical results (like D1b2a - Japanese haplogroup in Iceland!), based on just a few SNPs each:

Screen_Hunter_2409_Jun._01_09.04.jpg

interesting. still doesnt explain WHY women have some Y, or why i do :p
the y group i was given makes complete sense, and other men on that side of the tree have the same group.

fascinating, still does not clarify WHY ladies have some Y, or why i do, the y aggregate i was given bodes well and other men on that side of the tree have a similar gathering...

Not how long, but how well you have lived is the main thing

sorry for the slight necromancy, but have any of you seen this ?
Biparental Inheritance of Mitochondrial DNA in HumansShiyu Luo, C. Alexander Valencia, Jinglan Zhang, Ni-Chung Lee, Jesse Slone, Baoheng Gui, Xinjian Wang, Zhuo Li, Sarah Dell, Jenice Brown, Stella Maris Chen, Yin-Hsiu Chien, Wuh-Liang Hwu, Pi-Chuan Fan, Lee-Jun Wong, Paldeep S. Atwal, and Taosheng Huang
PNAS December 18, 2018 115 (51) 13039-13044; published ahead of print November 26, 2018 (can't post links yet I'm afraid )

This thread has been viewed 11479 times.

Back