Where did soccer originate?

No sure about soccer but football, England.

Game of balls were also played in ancient Rome ( more similar to modern rugby IIRC) then we have the florentine football ( something similar can be found overall europe during middle age) probably the ancestor of modern football....

Roman Era Women playing with ball.

1373509163-0.jpg

Roman mosaics found in Sicily

http://www.dailyartmagazine.com/ancient-bikini-girls/

Bikini-Rome.jpg

Clarification:

Soccer:
images

Football:
16WILUNFLGMBLLFFCFTB_is

ITS NOT SOCCER, its 'FOOTBALL', and theres only one home and origin for todays game, and that is England, despite what others say... especially the Germans....lol

It's certainly an interesting research abt. the first related sports.
However, afaik, soccer - few variations considered -, as we know it, arose in England less than 200 years ago, no? Never mind the first man who casually kicked a round object, probably more than 300k years ago, je je je.

Off-topic:
Soccer is enormously popular in Brazil. This is the team I used to be a fan of (I still am, but I don't follow it closely anymore, as I did in my youth):
https://youtu.be/wZbcMd6D1tc
https://youtu.be/7p9mqrTZM4M

It was known by the beautiful "avalanche" in the old stadium (prohibited in the new one):
https://youtu.be/TDqrN6TS8dc (17 seconds ahead)

In Italy I used to like Internazionale, probably due to the colors, but now I prefer Udinese, likely influenced by a distant cousin from Pordenone province. :)

Last edited:
The word "soccer":

The word soccer comes from an abbreviation for Association (from Association Football, the ‘official’ name for the game) plus the addition of the suffix –er. This suffix (originally Rugby School slang, and then adopted by Oxford University), was appended to ‘shortened’ nouns, in order to form jocular words. Rugger is probably the most common example, but other examples included in the Oxford English Dictionary are brekker (for breakfast), bonner (for bonfire), and cupper (a series of intercollegiate matches played in competition for a cup).

https://www.lexico.com/en/explore/whats-the-origin-of-the-word-soccer

On a Monday evening in October 1863, the leaders of a dozen clubs met at the Freemasons' Tavern in London to establish "a definite code of rules for the regulation of the game.” They did just that, forming the Football Association.

In 1871, another set of clubs met in London to codify a version of the game that involved more use of the hands—a variant most closely associated with the Rugby School.

"From this point onwards the two versions of football were distinguished by reference to their longer titles, Rugby Football and Association Football (named after the Football Association)," Szymanski writes. "The rugby football game was shortened to 'rugger,'" while "the association football game was, plausibly, shortened to 'soccer.'"

The colloquialism "soccer" caught on in the United States in the first decade of the twentieth century, in part to distinguish the game from American football, a hybrid of Association Football and Rugby Football. (Countries that tend to use the word "soccer" nowadays—Australia, for example—usually have another sport called "football.")

"Soccer" was a recognized term in Britain in the first half of the twentieth century, but it wasn't widely used until after World War II, when it was in vogue (and interchangeable with "football" and other phrases like "soccer football") for a couple decades, perhaps because of the influence of American troops stationed in Britain during the war and the allure of American culture in its aftermath. In the 1980s, however, Brits began rejecting the term, as soccer became a more popular sport in the United States.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/06/why-we-call-soccer-soccer/372771/

In Italy I used to like Internazionale, probably due to the colors, but now I prefer Udinese, likely influenced by a distant cousin from Pordenone province. :)
Guess the ethnicity.
(My guess is Italian. lol)

View attachment 11142

Just found this "relic". A 3 x 4 picture in which I (abt. 17 years old) was wearing the first strip of Internazionale Milano. I used it in a document related to military service, and curiously it was accepted. je je je

Guess the ethnicity.
(My guess is Italian. lol)

View attachment 11142

Just found this "relic". A 3 x 4 picture in which I (abt. 17 years old) was wearing the first strip of Internazionale Milano. I used it in a document related to military service, and curiously it was accepted. je je je

Same general type as Peter Farinelli? What do you think?

6868367.jpg

When we first came here my father supported Juve so I did too, but now, like most of the big teams, more than half of them are foreigners, so I only get interested when it's a world cup.

Personally, the most exciting and satisfying game I ever watched was the 2006 match between Italy and Germany. I never, ever, drink to excess, but that day I had my share. :) All on the house, as the restaurant was owned by Argentines. People were even pouring into the streets...all Americans, by the way, in Florida on vacation. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtEKVp-wRJU

"Same general type as Peter Farinelli? What do you think?" Wow, amazing how close that surname (Farinelli) is to mine

Clarification:

Soccer:
images

Football:
16WILUNFLGMBLLFFCFTB_is

that is only in USA
where they play a kind of 'armor plated' rugby and call it football.

it is FIFA

Fédération Internationale de Football Association
Not FISA
it is UEFA not UESA,

so beacause in USA they named football a game that has nothing to with feet,
does mean that rest world will accept it,

Britain the oldest football assosiation 1863
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football

USA NFL 1920
https://el.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL

Rugby 1871
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_Football_Union

@Yetos
If I want to catch a male undercover foreign Spy pretending to be an American, I would casually “accidentally” roll a Ball toward him, If he KICKS the ball back to me, he is a Spy.

If he lifts the ball from the ground and he throws it back with his HANDS to me, he's not a Spy.

Instinct is hard to beat :) 🤫

@davef
Probably a typo. It's Facinelli, not Farinelli.

Same general type as Peter Farinelli? What do you think?

6868367.jpg

When we first came here my father supported Juve so I did too, but now, like most of the big teams, more than half of them are foreigners, so I only get interested when it's a world cup.

Personally, the most exciting and satisfying game I ever watched was the 2006 match between Italy and Germany. I never, ever, drink to excess, but that day I had my share. :) All on the house, as the restaurant was owned by Argentines. People were even pouring into the streets...all Americans, by the way, in Florida on vacation. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtEKVp-wRJU
To be honest, I don't think I look like him. Of course, I have much more "references", so it's not fair. :) Just one picture, and an old one, may be somewhat misleading in this kind of comparisons. Another time I'll post pictures in that Guess Ethnicity section. Just not sure how to avoid making it obvious (which would not be fun). je je je

I remember well of that final. Really exciting. What if I tell you that my girlfriend at that time was full German in ancestry and that I watched the game in her "German" city (abt. 35 km from my "Italian" city)? Lol Truth be said, people very well behaved there, so no problem.
She said she would support Italy, because according to her the players were good looking. I answered "hmmm, that doesn't seem a good reason for me". We laughed. :)
I should have registered the wine I tasted in the celebration. Can't remember, but it must have been a good one. Today it would probably be some Nebbiolo. ;)

La Vecchia Signora is likely the biggest in Italy in number of fans, right? It roughly corresponds to Flamengo in Brazil, the most popular (it has very few fans only in São Paulo, Rio Grande do Sul and in parts of some few other states). Juve is not my first team in Italy, but I naturally support them when they play against other non-Italian Europeans.

@davef
Probably a typo. It's Facinelli, not Farinelli.

To be honest, I don't think I look like him. Of course, I have much more "references", so it's not fair. :) Just one picture, and an old one, may be somewhat misleading in this kind of comparisons. Another time I'll post pictures in that Guess Ethnicity section. Just not sure how to avoid making it obvious (which would not be fun). je je je

I remember well of that final. Really exciting. What if I tell you that my girlfriend at that time was full German in ancestry and that I watched the game in her "German" city (abt. 35 km from my "Italian" city)? Lol Truth be said, people very well behaved there, so no problem.
She said she would support Italy, because according to her the players were good looking. I answered "hmmm, that doesn't seem a good reason for me". We laughed. :)

I should have registered the wine I tasted in the celebration. Can't remember, but it must have been a good one. Today it would probably be some Nebbiolo. ;)

La Vecchia Signora is likely the biggest in Italy in number of fans, right? It roughly corresponds to Flamengo in Brazil, the most popular (it has very few fans only in São Paulo, Rio Grande do Sul and in parts of some few other states). Juve is not my first team in Italy, but I naturally support them when they play against other non-Italian Europeans.

We were actually in Sarasota, Florida, on vacation. The only way I would leave the house is if the restaurant had a huge screen to show every second of the game, so we would up in an Argentinian one with an absolutely enormous screen. Argentines often back Italy if Argentina is out, plus there had been some controversy about a bad call against an Argentine player by a German referee.

To top it all off, there was a big German group sitting at the bar being very loud and obnoxious about how wonderful a team they were, how they were mopping the floor with the Italians, it was all in the bag, etc. Half in English and half in German, so just about everybody could hear. I was ready to blow a gasket. :) Plus, the German papers had been full of things like we'll send the "pasta and pizza" eaters home right away.

Let me tell you: in those last fifteen minutes or so the place went absolutely wild. The chefs and waiters (all Argentinians) went wild, all the guests included, all "Americans", mind you, then we heard screaming from the street as people from other restaurants all streamed outside and started a Congo line. The Germans stormed off in a huff, but the rest of us partied for about two hours.

No other game will ever match that for me, or for my kids. Unfortunately, neither of them were fast enough for the grueling length of the game.

Fwi, a lot of the Italian players were indeed better looking. :) Ever see the underwear ad they did? Modesty prevents me from posting a link. Last time I was home, there was a naked carwash put on by young men with proceeds to the church. Only in Italy! I do not exaggerate when I say that sculptors would have loved to have them pose for them. My daughter took a picture, not I, but she did send it to me. :)

We were actually in Sarasota, Florida, on vacation. The only way I would leave the house is if the restaurant had a huge screen to show every second of the game, so we would up in an Argentinian one with an absolutely enormous screen. Argentines often back Italy if Argentina is out, plus there had been some controversy about a bad call against an Argentine player by a German referee.

To top it all off, there was a big German group sitting at the bar being very loud and obnoxious about how wonderful a team they were, how they were mopping the floor with the Italians, it was all in the bag, etc. Half in English and half in German, so just about everybody could hear. I was ready to blow a gasket. :) Plus, the German papers had been full of things like we'll send the "pasta and pizza" eaters home right away.

Let me tell you: in those last fifteen minutes or so the place went absolutely wild. The chefs and waiters (all Argentinians) went wild, all the guests included, all "Americans", mind you, then we heard screaming from the street as people from other restaurants all streamed outside and started a Congo line. The Germans stormed off in a huff, but the rest of us partied for about two hours.

No other game will ever match that for me, or for my kids. Unfortunately, neither of them were fast enough for the grueling length of the game.

Fwi, a lot of the Italian players were indeed better looking. :) Ever see the underwear ad they did? Modesty prevents me from posting a link. Last time I was home, there was a naked carwash put on by young men with proceeds to the church. Only in Italy! I do not exaggerate when I say that sculptors would have loved to have them pose for them. My daughter took a picture, not I, but she did send it to me. :)
On the carwash, that's a funny story! I can imagine the puns using the hose. Lol
I guess in Brazil it'd be against the law, btw. "Obscene act in public". :)

Regarding the Germans, well, so at the end their behavior "seasoned" the victory. :)
I had different luck. Of course, I was among "family", so... And the city was cool after the game. Plus, we were all descendants there, which is certainly different from being natives. Still, it was an interesting experience. Many of those people used to speak in a German dialect between them.
When it comes to rivalry in soccer, in Brazilian context, apart local teams', I guess the only really relevant one seems to be between Brazil and Argentina. Again, in soccer (and probably in few other sports). I was very well treated in the many times I've been in Argentina, and I'm sure Argentines generally are well treated in Brazil. That's how it must be. :)

Cheers

ha ha. being a Dane, I know the game originated in England, where the vikings played football with the chopped off heads of munks. So England. yes. Forget rubber balls from China or Bikinis from Tuscany. It was in England, near the city of York it happened first.
There was a problem, many of the heads broke, when kicked around a lot, and had to be replaced. But that was easy back in the days, and being practical, the vikings used the broken skulls to drink of. Blood or beer. Skål!

@ Jensen

you should have to read Επισκυρος

img2_4.jpg

This thread has been viewed 16973 times.

Back