Modern Italians who resemble busts from the classical era

Coon's mistake was that he thought the Villanova culture to be Italic, when it was almost certainly Etruscan.

Coon's mistake was that he thought the Villanova culture to be Italic, when it was almost certainly Etruscan.

Regardless, they branched from the Urnfield culture, which is ultimately what Coon was referring to. There is a disconnect there which is definitely confusing though. Perhaps the migrants from Urnfield simply took the language of the proto-Etruscans when they arrived in Tuscany.

Regardless, they branched from the Urnfield culture, which is ultimately what Coon was referring to. There is a disconnect there which is definitely confusing though. Perhaps the migrants from Urnfield simply took the language of the proto-Etruscans when they arrived in Tuscany.

At the time Coon published his work this was the consensus. Nowadays I think the mostly nomadic Apennine culture with its connections to the Balkans seems like a better candidate for the origin of the Italics. It starts 1500 B.C., 200 years after the predicted Italic-Celtic split in Chang et al. .

Central European influence definitely reached as far south as Latium and probably brought with it significant admixture, but I don't think that's how Italic languages got to Italy.

I've looked at dozens and dozens of statues from the Classical period, and frescoes as well. They do NOT show Keltic people. Where they weren't heavily Med, they were some blend of Alpine and Dinaric. Those skulls are indeed broad above the forehead, but the back is often Dinaric, and the faces are long and narrow, sometimes triangular. The noses are also Dinaric. The closest group to them other than Italians is probably people from the Balkans, which would make sense.

That doesn't mean that we don't have "Keltic" looking people in Italy, because we do, and more Germanic looking ones as well, and Greek, Aegean looking ones as well, but those aren't "ancient Roman" looks.

What I and other Italians object to is the constant t-rolling which flies in the face of the evidence which we do have. It's as bad as the whole Mycenaeans were blonde Nordics nonsense, which has now been belied by ancient dna.

We have to wait and see what more ancient dna from Italy shows, but so far the Remedello people who were supposed to be fair steppe people turned out to be dark haired and eyed mostly EEF people, and the "Italians" in the Langobard cemetery are very "southern" indeed. Now, I expect them to be more varied in other parts of the North, but I think the results from the Balkans, and from the Langobard cemetery in Hungary show that the EEF genotype and phenotype was still very widespread even after the steppe migrations, migrations of people who were by no means all blonde and blue-eyed themselves. People just choose to ignore all the papers that have come out because it conflicts with their prior expectations and their world view.

I don't know what the heck Coon was looking at, but he was just plain wrong.

At the time Coon published his work this was the consensus. Nowadays I think the mostly nomadic Apennine culture with its connections to the Balkans seems like a better candidate for the origin of the Italics. It starts 1500 B.C., 200 years after the predicted Italic-Celtic split in Chang et al. .

Central European influence definitely reached as far south as Latium and probably brought with it significant admixture, but I don't think that's how Italic languages got to Italy.

Latin-Faliscan (Western Italic branch) and Oscan-Umbrian (Eastern Italic branch) could have different origins. The connections with the Balkans is often mentioned for the latter.

Appenninic started after Bell Beaker so a Central European (indoeuropean) influence is possible, then sub appenninic spread from north to south, not pacifically

Utilizzando Tapatalk

z61aghD.jpg

Marisa Tomei
Tomei's parents are both of Italian descent; her father's ancestors came from Tuscany, Calabria, and Campania; while her mother's ancestors are from Tuscany and Sicily.
[3][4]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marisa_Tomei

K26ts3A.jpg

Julia Flavia

Marisa T.
(on PBS)

69.5 Italian
3.4 Balkan
2.0 Iberian
14.6 Broadly Southern European
3.3 Northwestern European
3.4 Broadly European
3.3 Middle Eastern
0.5 Unmatched

Marisa T.
(on PBS)

69.5 Italian
3.4 Balkan
2.0 Iberian
14.6 Broadly Southern European
3.3 Northwestern European
3.4 Broadly European
3.3 Middle Eastern
0.5 Unmatched

She does look like Julia Flavia. She's half Tuscan I think.

Scipio Africanus look alike from Reggio Calabria: politician Marco Minniti. :)

There's a whole series of busts that look like this. As I said, some internet genius opined that because they were carved of black stone and he had Africa as part of his name that he had SSA ancestry. He comes, instead, from a branch of the "very" Patrician gens Cornelii. The name is because of his exploits against the Carthaginians. I mean, you can never underestimate the stupidity of some people. :)

bust_roman_general_publius_co_hi.jpg

He doesn't have a sense of humor either, apparently.
Marco-Minniti.jpg

A "colorized" version of the bust:
scipio-aemilianus-in-color.jpg

Probably too tan, but maybe he was on vacation. Anyway, there are thousands and thousands of virtual replicas of him walking around in Italy. :)

A "colorized" version of the bust:
scipio-aemilianus-in-color.jpg

Probably too tan, but maybe he was on vacation. Anyway, there are thousands and thousands of virtual replicas of him walking around in Italy. :)
He definitely looks Italian to me

New reconstruction from "Césares de Roma", Nero:

52717048_761801544200878_6928310529425408_o.jpg

52605205_761801540867545_8759353588490174464_o.jpg

52712776_761801040867595_4073740312336400384_o.jpg

52658365_761801314200901_3464174179748675584_o.jpg

51892046_753630691684630_5824154315425579008_o.jpg

51790151_753630771684622_4541993856152895488_o.jpg

49749294_735895970124769_3459030299281719296_o.jpg

When I see young Nero, and Caligula, I picture a younger Quentin Tarantino.
I don’t know if I'm the only one who thinks this.

I would have liked to see the same model with brown eyes and brown hair, i don't know if he would have been full blown redhead like this

But it must be said this guy has an amazing talent for bringing people back to life, cant wait to see Alexander, etc

@Salento: Exactly my first thought LMAO.

Here:

quentin-tarantino-profile.png
Quentin-Jerome-Tarantino_1440149165.jpg

^Tarantino.

This thread has been viewed 66022 times.

Back