Modern Italians who resemble busts from the classical era

Niuuzfo.jpg

hey a nephew of Macron? ;)

cdb1ucs2k.39.36.png

x1kllvd.jpg

I believe this is the original picture. It is based on a statue of Julius Caesar from the Vatican museum.

He looks 100% Italian to me.

He certainly does. :)

He reminds me of people with a certain Ligurian look, one of quite a few distinctive and different ones, particularly the nose. Some are equally dark, some fairer.

Francesco Moraglia, born in Genova, Bishop of La Spezia, where I knew him, and now Cardinal Patriarch of Venezia. If they had any sense, he'd be papabile.
903179-cattedra.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Amazing how personality shapes the face, though, isn't it?

Carlo Pastorino-Ligurian politician
xjW7Me9.png
There's another bust of Caesar which he fits even more, I think.
1200px-Retrato_de_Julio_C%C3%A9sar_%2826724093101%29.jpg

If we went with this broader faced version:
caesar-opener.ngsversion.1489550508150.adapt.1900.1.jpg

Maybe Edoardo Rixi?
zoom.aspx

Alessandro Natta, Ligurian, Communist party official
b45536fa-f54f-11e7-b250-16cc66648122.jpg

Raffaela Paita..politician from La Spezia. The mouth is all wrong but the rest fits, I think.

During the flood...
182931-420x236.jpg

I was just watching a series with Mark Strong (half southern Italian/half German, all Italian in looks as he's gotten older, imo), and I was immediately reminded of the image Salento posted of Giulio Cesare.
bcospA4.png

Mark Strong: the color of his eyes is off, and the narrowness of his skull, but otherwise...
699fc6346bbd9024339639568d45043d--mark-strong-actor-beautiful-person.jpg

Another entrant for a modern Italian who looks like an ancient Roman to me: Pierluigi Casiraghi
Pierluigi+Casiraghi+Sweden+v+Italy+UEFA+European+4SbrsaeMDyzl.jpg

90e07d3adc1cfabe81c31f3892143dd6.jpg

Yes, he does, but so does someone I posted on this thread:
https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threa...m-the-classical-era/page6?p=605664#post605664

I may add the Italian coaches to it. They all look to me as if they could lead armies, and when angry and screaming, they look terrifying. :)
I'd say some players also fit well in this "ancient Roman" stereotype. :) Among the oldies that I remember, or those more, say, "recent", Del Piero is perhaps a good fit, as Totti, but also Baggio, Cannavaro and even Paolo Rossi. Perhaps Marchisio, Pirlo and Pagliuca too. Don't know. Also not sure about Bonucci, Luca Toni, Gilardino, Di Livio, Gattuso, Iaquinta, Zambrotta, Facchetti, Materazzi? Maybe.

Players like Vieri, Buffon, De Rossi, Maldini, Baresi etc. look something else. This would be possibly my group. Not sure.

As examples of more Southern types in stereotype we have perhaps Chiellini, De Sciglio (not too much in pictures like this though), Insigne, Nesta, Perrotta, Gentile, Schillaci, Grosso, Ravanelli...

Other types: Donadoni, Immobile, Inzaghi, Tardelli, Verratti, Vialli, Panucci, Montolivo (not full Italian), Colombo, Meazza, Bulgarelli, Mazzola, Benetti, De Sanctis, Di Natale...

Last edited:
I'd say some players also fit well in this "ancient Roman" stereotype. :) Among the oldies that I remember, or those more, say, "recent", Del Piero is perhaps a good fit, as Totti, but also Baggio, Cannavaro and even Paolo Rossi. Perhaps Marchisio, Pirlo and Pagliuca too. Don't know. Also not sure about Bonucci, Luca Toni, Gilardino, Di Livio, Gattuso, Iaquinta, Zambrotta, Facchetti, Materazzi? Maybe.

Players like Vieri, Buffon, De Rossi, Maldini, Baresi etc. look something else. This would be possibly my group. Not sure.

As examples of more Southern types in stereotype we have perhaps Chiellini, De Sciglio (not too much in pictures like this though), Insigne, Nesta, Perrotta, Gentile, Schillaci, Grosso, Ravanelli...

Other types: Donadoni, Immobile, Inzaghi, Tardelli, Verratti, Vialli, Panucci, Montolivo (not full Italian), Colombo, Meazza...
I agree the highlighted ones might be a bit off.

Italian soccer coaches:

Delio Rossi
delio-rossi-e1417077929172.jpg

He's maybe a sort of Caesar type
aba5741611341b87214148e9c425cc19.jpg

So is perhaps Cesare Prandelli
cesare-prandelli.jpg

Or maybe he's more of a Nerva type
88f043e3fcd37f7a7aa98531ae6a359c.jpg

Walter Mazzarri
c98c8.jpg

Pompey:
38563-004-BCCB8251.jpg

I wouldn't want to meet this face with bad news either: Claudio Ranieri

claudio-ranieri-nuevo-tecnico-del-roma.jpg_673822677.jpg

Andrea Mandorlini:
Andrea+Mandorlini+Hellas+Verona+FC+v+Grosseto+pVYnCGtbsijl.jpg

Renzo Ulivieri-old
Renzo-Ulivieri.jpg

young:
Renzo_Ulivieri_-_Ternana_1978-1979.jpeg

Arrigo Sacchi

i

Scipio Africanus
scipio.jpg

I could go on and on...

I'm not sure about Fabio Capello; when young, perhaps, but as he got older he became stranger looking.
Fabio-Capello.jpg

Capello_1460554a.jpg

Marcello Lippi looks like this statue of an Etruscan to me:
d27a90f7220b31fbbf5953a30abbf393.jpg

Older:
03-marcello-lippi-1024x682.jpg

Not so much when he was young:
marcello-lippi-3.jpg

Maybe in his youth a bit like Antoninus Pius.
h2_33.11.3.jpg

There are versions of the Emperor Nerva walking the streets of every Italian city.
13-nerva96-98-7a.jpg

What about Pierluigi Collina? ;)

Captura-de-pantalla-2010-05-22-a-las-17.02.25.jpg

582490f40c1695f13bad6fad055884668999a392r1-285-307v2_hq.jpg

Yes, him too.

It's not just the world of sport, obviously. The older and heavier Mark Ruffalo gets, the more he looks like Marcus Agrippa in my opinion. Agrippa is a fascinating character: a man of humble plebeian origins, he had so much ability that he went on to become a Roman consul, statesman, general (most notably at the Battle of Actium against Antony and Cleopatra which delivered the empire to Augustus), and architect, being responsible, along with Augustus, for turning Rome into a city of marble, and building, notably, the first Pantheon. He also became a close friend and son in law to Augustus and grandfather to future emperors. He wasn't the only such character. There was also Marius, as just one example. His career and that of others points out the inclusivity of the Roman elite, even across what might have been tribal and even "ethnic" lines.

181018-mark-ruffalo.jpg

Agrippa.jpg

When he was young and achingly beautiful...
mark-ruffalo-headshot.jpg

I've been thinking about Toni. He's one of mine and I have cousins who look like him. I think there's a Gallic influence visible too. I absolutely have always adored him. He's so ITALIAN. :) Poor thing; what a terrible time he had in Germany.

8luca_toni.jpg

I touched on this on the music thread where we were discussing if a certain musician looked a bit like Caesar. I thought perhaps these were better.

For this representation of Caesar, maybe Gianfranco Fini is of a similar type, although fair eyed, and his nose is a bit squashed looking. Maybe it was a soccer injury.

220px-C._Julius-Caesar_%28British_Museum%29.gif

Gianfranco_Fini_728929600.jpg

220px-Gianfranco_Fini_2016.jpg

For this representation of Caesar maybe the Marchese Emilio Pucci:

julius-caesar-2.jpg

582_pucci-layered.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Emilio-Pucci-photo.jpg

In this one he looks like my maternal grandfather...it's a common enough look in north/central Italy.
948_ReedMarch14cover.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps he's been posted before, but NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio (matronym) looks very Romanesque to me..
Too bad his skills as a statesman aren't quite up to Caesarian standards. :rolleyes:

AP19145717130441.jpg

I agree.

Here's another one for "one" representation of Caesar, one supposedly done during his lifetime. I think I might also put him in the phenotype twins thread. :)

The modern man is Carlo Pastorini, a Ligurian politician.

200px-Caesar_One.jpg
6GpyTck.png

Apollo:
Apollo_Olympia.jpg

Victor Mature: infinitely more testosterone, but...

victor-mature-5253-c.jpg

Perfect nose, too.

5ceeeed81190e__victor-mature.jpg

No wonder they used to call him catnip for the ladies. :)

Davvero una principessa!
The pectoral ornaments of the sculpture remind me of those of an Iberian sculpture, the Lady of Elche.

Yes, the ornaments do seem similar; I suppose cultural influences circled the Mediterranean along with trade.

I wasn't aiming for princess, or Etruscan lady; The dress was for playing Juliet in the play. :)

Lionel Scaloni: not Italian, but of at least partial Italian ancestry

Fj465LZX0AIgDH2.jpg

When I first saw him, I did a double take. I thought, my God, he's a Roman centurion come to life.

Marcus Agrippa

73395493d9a0cecb80f07f71d8ad0f4e.png

02946-Stunning-Marble-Bust-Roman-Senator-Nobleman-1.jpg

887830c3fadb18b5ba52e49547bd426c.jpg

A Victor Mature type too.

actor-victor-mature-picture-id526900544

This thread has been viewed 66407 times.

Back