ICAANE Conference 2018

Here's my map for the spread of Indo-European languages (missed a few out like Armenian, Greek and Albanian for simplicity, but I think they all originated from Yamnaya via a Balkan route):

0Q0tpcd.png

Note that I have linked the pre-Greek and pre-Italic languages of the Eastern and Central Mediterranean to an expansion of the Anatolians. I do not fully associate this map with the spread of haplogroups, though. When considering R1 only for simplicity, that would be this map (note that a connection of two arrows from head to tail means the order is chronological):

scFbZpS.png

I didn't include the spread of Z2103 across the Middle East as the map was getting too cluttered, but I think it would have spread with the Gutians and Anatolians as with the map of language spread. I also think that the Anatolians (and maybe Gutians?) would be heavily Y DNA J.

I also didn't include the Tocharians as again, too cluttered, but it would have been from an early Z2103 expansion from Yamnaya just like in the language map.

Notable is that L51 adopted Indo-European from contact with Pannonian Yamnaya (in the case of U152) and Northern European Corded Ware (in the case of U106) as part of their social dominance of the communities they came across as a metallurgical elite (as exemplified by the Bell Beakers, who were prolific in assimilating into and dominating pre-existing cultures). There are many reasons for this, which I've gone over a million times, but this hypothesis is at least consistent, as firstly Indo-European speech in Western European ultimately originates from U152 and U106 only (unless you think L21 and DF27 both spoke some kind of Celtic, even though the Italic-Celtic split clearly took place amongst U152 folk), and also the phylogeny of L51 points to a Western European origin (and not an Eastern European/Steppe origin, and not by coincidence Yamnaya and Corded Ware are both devoid of L51). Other connections, such as looking at stelae, the spread of metallurgical technology, the spread of warlike elites etc. also provide potential evidence towards this theory.

Last edited:
They're bronze. It's interesting btw that despite the early introduction, swords remain rather unimportant in Anatolia and vicinity throughout the metal ages. Near Easterners seem to have preferred spears. It's in the Aegean and the Carpathian basin where swords really take off.

I'd read that shortly after the introduction the bronze swords in Serbia alone numbered in the hundreds.

To be fair, Spears were always the battlefield weapons instead of swords or battle axes. It's just way better because of range.

You're probably right. Running/riding would be easier with swords as well I would think.

They were Arsenical Bronze weapons, wich make sense with what we believe of early bronze age. Also it's crazy to imagine guys in 3000 BC roaming with those kind of weapons. It's very scary if you think about it. Apparently an hoard of 9 daggers and swords was found. That's an interesting archeological contexte, were they war loot? It doesn't look to show any humans with for what i can read.

Somebody please just critique my mega post above, there isn't enough speculative debate on this forum anymore. I personally see absolutely no major holes with it.

@ToBeOrNotToBe
Your maps can't be seen, you should upload them to Imgur, Imgbb etc.

I don't think Armenians came through the Balkans. I think that they went directly south from the Steppes and arrived in the South Caucasus sometime between 2500-2200 BCE. There are a few reasons I think this:

1) the presence of Steppe derived ancestry in Middle Bronze Age Armenian samples.

2) the presence of (sacrificed) horse remains in Middle Bronze Age elite Armenian burials.

3) the Armenian language being equally close to Indo-Iranian languages as Greek/Phrygian.

4) Greek and Phrygian being centum apple languages and Armenian being a (mostly) satem non-apple language.

5) the presence of the Black Sea coast settings and the importance of northern Armenia in Armenian mythology.

6) the high concentration of M269 in Daghestan/Chechnya (in addition to Armenia) (more than 25%), and the comparative lack of M269 (something like 15% in the Balkans).

If they came from the Balkans, I think that a migration would have had to have occurred by the mid-3rd millennium BCE. It seems just as likely, if not more likely to me, that Balkanic languages and Armenian separated in the Steppes.

This thread has been viewed 16148 times.

Back